Greatest Dewsbury Players - your top 3 props

Wakefield Ram

When props were instrumental in deciding who got the ball out of the scrum Trevor Walker was one of the best in the business. Big Jim Naylor at his best could play in the modern game with no problem, but the one I would most like to see in his pomp but playing for us now is Gary Cocks. His running was strong, and his tackling was fearsome. The energy he sapped out of opposing players was match winning.

On 18/04/2020 at 16:39, STEVE P said:

When props were instrumental in deciding who got the ball out of the scrum Trevor Walker was one of the best in the business. Big Jim Naylor at his best could play in the modern game with no problem, but the one I would most like to see in his pomp but playing for us now is Gary Cocks. His running was strong, and his tackling was fearsome. The energy he sapped out of opposing players was match winning.

1 Frank Watene

2 Mikaeli Aizue

3 Tank Walker

Three wrecking balls. 

Great news, we've finally managed to get a delivery slot with Sainsbury's. We've ordered a turkey, mince pies and a box of christmas crackers.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

For me:

Gary Cocks

Harry Beverley 

Brian Taylor

others: Trevor “Tank” Walker, Frank Watene, Keith Mason and Mikaile Aizu. 
Trevor Lowe was more a second rower to me; as a no. 11 he always collected the ball from a kick off. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Who remembers Ian Johnson? He had just one season with us but was an interesting old-fashioned prop who certainly gave value for money.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

24 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

Good shout with David Briggs.... Believe he had 2 spells with the club and inbetween tasted Cup Final glory with Bramley when they won the non-floodlit Floodlit Trophy Final ..... Tough, no-nonsense grafter 

He's my uncle ... I'll ask him ?

35 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Who remembers Ian Johnson? He had just one season with us but was an interesting old-fashioned prop who certainly gave value for money.

I'm struggling to recall Ian Johnson...... I'd put Andy Hobson and Adam Robinson in the same bracket 

3 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

I remember Iain Johnston, think he came from Bramley !!??

Correct. I think he was one of those players who never stayed at any club longer that two seasons (the days of signing-on incentives) and I don't know where he went after he left us. This was in the Crown Flatt days, by the way. I remember one particular incident right in front of the old stand in a typically muddy match. He drove the ball forward and was tackled, got up and played the ball to himself and made another ten yards, got up and played the ball to himself again - another eight yards, got up and did exactly the same once more. Heroic stuff from a prop in the days of contested scrums and only two substitutes.

We probably got beat again, of course, but in the mind's eye these things do stick.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• 9 months later...

Archived