Best British Players To Play In Australia

As soon as I saw Ellery Hanley at 9 and Josh Hodgson at 8 I had to stop at that point.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

As soon as I saw Ellery Hanley at 9 and Josh Hodgson at 8 I had to stop at that point.

Exactly and not even had Garry Schofield in the ten.

8 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

1. Bill Ashurst

2. Mal Reilly

3. Ellery Hanley

4. Phil Lowe

5. Gary Schofield

6. Martin Offiah

7. Sam Burgess

8. Jonathan Davis

9. Lee Crooks

10. Gareth Ellis

Adrian Morley?? - probably the most famous English player to play in Oz who made a massive impact, and on par, if not a bigger name than Burgess.

14 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Adrian Morley?? - probably the most famous English player to play in Oz who made a massive impact, and on par, if not a bigger name than Burgess.

Certainly not the most famous Brit to play in Australia but nevertheless he was very good. It was a toss up between him and Ellis at 10th but Morley’s very poor disciplinery record edged it in favour of Ellis.

There are loads of other magnificent players who missed out such as

Kevin Ward, Gary Connolly, Steve Norton, Brian Lockwood, Andy Gregory, Lee Jackson, Cliff Watson, Joe Lydon, Andy Currier, Andy Kelly, Andy Goodway, Harvey Howard, Hugh Waddell, Steve Hampson, David Topliss, Mike Stephenson, John Gray and I’m sure many others

Brian Carney only played the one season for Newcastle Knights getting 16 tries in 26 games. he was well respected down there so worth a mention if not in your top 10. Somebody just as familiar to posters but remembered less due to the time that has elapsed since his career ended is Mike Stephenson who played for Penrith in the 1970's who should certainly feature in the conversation.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

15 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Certainly not the most famous Brit to play in Australia but nevertheless he was very good. It was a toss up between him and Ellis at 10th but Morley’s very poor disciplinery record edged it in favour of Ellis.

Dont agree, I lived in Sydney and Morley was a massive name in Oz, only Burgess has come close.

I remember about 10 years ago when he played for Wire and they did a preseason out there. The wire players said walking round with Morley was like being with a film star - Everyone wanted to talk to him, get photos with him and Australian TV was all over him.

Considering James Graham has played at that level for 10 or 11 years he has to be elevated above all forwards barring Sam.  Maybe not had the impact this last 2 seasons but has more than done enough to surpass the rest.  Brian Lockwood not mentioned but played 4 years out there and was an outstanding ball player.

I think most would agree that Hanley was in the top 10 players to ever grace the field.  I’d place him in another list altogether alongside Inglis, Lewis, Johns, Crane and Bevan and a few more.

2 hours ago, OMEGA said:

1. Bill Ashurst

2. Mal Reilly

3. Ellery Hanley

4. Phil Lowe

5. Gary Schofield

6. Martin Offiah

7. Sam Burgess

8. Jonathan Davis

9. Lee Crooks

10. Gareth Ellis

Bill Ashurst no1 and no Dick Huddart are you having a laugh

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Brian Carney only played the one season for Newcastle Knights getting 16 tries in 26 games. he was well respected down there so worth a mention if not in your top 10. Somebody just as familiar to posters but remembered less due to the time that has elapsed since his career ended is Mike Stephenson who played for Penrith in the 1970's who should certainly feature in the conversation.

But he's not British, RR, so cannot really come into this particular conversation.  I take your point about 'Stevo'.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Bill Ashurst no1 and no Dick Huddart are you having a laugh

No!

Do you rate Huddart above Ashurst then, good as he was Dick Huddart wasn’t close to being in Ashurst class!

Also this is about how good they were for their Australian clubs and none were more revered than Bill at Penrith

On 17/04/2020 at 15:20, Davo5 said:

Who would he replace ? 

Hodgeson never rated him. As for some of the others not quite old enough to see them play.

On 18/04/2020 at 00:36, OMEGA said:

1. Bill Ashurst

2. Mal Reilly

3. Ellery Hanley

4. Phil Lowe

5. Gary Schofield

6. Martin Offiah

7. Sam Burgess

8. Jonathan Davis

9. Lee Crooks

10. Gareth Ellis

What about David Topliss, helped Balmain to the 1977 Semi Finals. Scoring some great tries, including 5 in a game.

Steve "Knocker" Norton had 2 great years at Manly, including winning the 1976 premiership. I'd have him above Gareth Ellis.

Archived