This is how much the RFL think of Oldham ...

Below is a link to an article in the main forum concerning facts about Sheffield Eagles.

Fact number 2 is about the first ever Super League match featuring Paris v Sheffield ... yet it should have been Paris v Oldham until Gary Hetherington and Maurice Lindsay decided that the Oldham name was not marketable enough .... so, as the old saying goes "It's not what you do, it's who you are that matters".

https://www.totalrl.com/the-self-isolation-chronicles-sheffield-eagles/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-self-isolation-chronicles-sheffield-eagles

This is a comment I have made in the main forum aboiut the situation ....

A very telling quote in no.2 about how certain clubs are treated by the RFL.

The very first Super League match was supposed to be Paris v Oldham yet it was changed to Paris v Sheffield because ...

" After a phone call (from Gary Hetherington) with Wigan counterpart Maurice Lindsay, it was decided that the Oldham name would not have had the pulling power in France."

A similar reason why in the following 1997 season the Paris team were allowed to play almost a reserve team in an away midweek game before they faced Oldham at home in what would be the decider for which of the two teams finished bottom and be relegated.

Paris won that game yet the club folded just a few weeks later. Furthermore, the RFL preferred to have the name of Huddersfield in the top flight instead of Oldham as it was more marketable as the bithplace of RL and so instead of just replacing Paris with the lower-division champions Hull, the RFL decided to promote two clubs (the second being Huddersfield) and let Oldham still be relegated ... even though the previous season had seen just one-up, one-down and that was supposed to have been the same for the 1997 season.

Oldham had already sold Watershedings on the promise by the local council of a new ground, yet with the loss of Super League status that promise was reneged on and the club eventually folded. A completely new club was then formed from total scratch with no players, no ground and very limited finances ... and no help for the club from the RFL as per they have given to another with what they considered to be a more marketable asset.

Please all remember how clubs like Oldham have been treated by the RFL if ever you might feel they are just not worthy of even being in existance.

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Yup.

I had my suspicions at the time. Numerous decisions by match officials during that season convinced me that there was a hidden agenda to ensure Oldham didn't stay in SL. I always thought it was payback for our anti-merger protest during the Salford game.

One in particular - close game against Halifax at Boundary Park, yet ANOTHER penalty given for "nothing" just before the hooter. Another loss.

Stunk to high heaven then, and as time goes on, bits of information such as the above start to fill in the gaps and the smell just keeps getting stronger.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, BryanC said:

Yup.

I had my suspicions at the time. Numerous decisions by match officials during that season convinced me that there was a hidden agenda to ensure Oldham didn't stay in SL. I always thought it was payback for our anti-merger protest during the Salford game.

One in particular - close game against Halifax at Boundary Park, yet ANOTHER penalty given for "nothing" just before the hooter. Another loss.

Stunk to high heaven then, and as time goes on, bits of information such as the above start to fill in the gaps and the smell just keeps getting stronger.

Supporters will always complain about a referee's decision but I can't honestly see every or even many referees for Oldham games just being told to be biased against them ... there would surely be too many risks for the RFL in assuming that all the officials would not say something, even if it was after they retired from refereeing.

However, I always believed there was some form of conspiracy at RLHQ in order to have certain teams in Super League whose names were more universally known or had a more relevant place in RL history ... if only Joseph Platt has organised the 1895 meeting to be at the Greaves Arms instead of the George Hotel in Huddersfield !

Until the piece written about the Paris v Sheffield match I wasn't aware that Oldham should have been the team playing on that opening night of Super League but I do always remember the end of the following season when Paris were allowed to play almost a reserve side in a midweek game away at Bradford (where they lost 68-0) before they faced Oldham at home the following Sunday.

On that same midweek night Oldham had been at home to Wigan and fielded a full-strength side before losing just 32-26. Paris won the Sunday game 23-12 to go above Oldham and be safe from bottom place. Although both teams still had one game to play it was then impossible for Oldham to go back above Paris yet they won 20-14 at home to Warington while Paris lost 25-14 at St.Helens.

Throughout the season it was always known that just the bottom team would be relegated, hence why Paris - and the RFL - were determined for them to stay off the bottom. Yet within a couple of weeks Paris folded and the rules were changed to promote two teams (the second being Huddersfield) and still let Oldham go down.

If Paris had not folded then who thinks they would also have been relegated from their next-to-bottom place to allow two sides to then be promoted.  No, I don't either.

• Like 1

That is just as I remember it.  I managed to catch some of the action from the Bradford v Paris game on a TV in a bar in Ibiza.  It was embarrassingly one sided.  If I remember correctly it gave Bradford the points they needed to finish top which as far as I am concerned means it was doubly dodgy.  I am convinced that if the roles had been reversed and Oldham played a weakened side v Wigan and Paris a full strength side v Bradford we would have faced some kind of disciplinary action for fielding a weakened side.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Steve the Roughyed said:

That is just as I remember it.  I managed to catch some of the action from the Bradford v Paris game on a TV in a bar in Ibiza.  It was embarrassingly one sided.  If I remember correctly it gave Bradford the points they needed to finish top which as far as I am concerned means it was doubly dodgy.  I am convinced that if the roles had been reversed and Oldham played a weakened side v Wigan and Paris a full strength side v Bradford we would have faced some kind of disciplinary action for fielding a weakened side.

Yes it was a foregone conclusion before the match that Bradford would win against Paris even if the French played their full-strength team and so it was thought "why bother even trying to win ?" Hence they played a reserve team - and were allowed to do so by the RFL.

Paris therefore finished in 11th position and if they had not subsequantly folded would have stayed in the top flight and with just Hull replacing Oldham. yet because they went out of business the RFL suddenly allowed Huddersfield to be promoted because that was the birthplace of RL and they already had a new stadium built.

• Like 1
On 19/04/2020 at 19:54, BryanC said:

And I was there.  And I Agree with you.

I was there too.  We were actually drawing the game when Halifax kicked a goal off the touchline - think it was Martin Pearson.  Am I right in thinking that, had we drawn, we would have stayed up?

Tony Mac

If you’re going through hell, keep going – Winston Churchill

40 minutes ago, Tony Mac said:

Am I right in thinking that, had we drawn, we would have stayed up?

Yes, you're correct. (I think) 

It's yet another, in a very long list of  'painful memories' of being a Roughyed supporter. 

If Gold Medals were awarded in a competition for 'painful memories' we'd be undefeated World Champions.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Tony Mac said:

I was there too.  We were actually drawing the game when Halifax kicked a goal off the touchline - think it was Martin Pearson.  Am I right in thinking that, had we drawn, we would have stayed up?

That season Oldham lost 29-30 at home to Halifax on 27 April 1997. However, that was only Oldham's eighth league game of of the season out of 22. I can't comment on whether the penalty was deserved or not, but even if not then it does seem a bit far-fetched for that decision to have been part of a conspriracy as there were still another 14 games to play. The bigger and more obvious conspiracy was the RFL's actions in favour of Paris and Huddersfield.

However even if Oldham had beaten Halifax they would have still finished bottom of the table ... it was the loss against Paris that caused us to finish bottom. Even by losing that game to Halifax, then a win against Paris would have seen Oldham end on 11 points and Paris on 10. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Another article which shows how Oldham (and indeed some others) were ignored by the RFL just to make themselves more appealing to non-RL enthusiasts by including teams (Paris, London) who had "non-Northern" names ....

https://uk.blastingnews.com/sport/2017/12/paris-st-germain-rl-the-creation-the-downfall-the-legacy-002212875.html

The final two pieces of the article "Decline and fall" and "Scandal" shows how the RFL were well aware before the end of the 1997 season that Paris might not continue for the following year (and even might not have completed the 1997 campaign), yet they still allowed them to play a reserve team for a midweek game at Bradford so their main squad was OK for the relegation decider at home against Oldham at the weekend ... and just two weeks later the Paris club folded.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1