Kallum Watkins to Return to Super League? (Merged Threads)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, philipw said:

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2020/04/18/kallum-watkins-granted-immediate-release-from-titans-on-compassionate-grounds/

Kallum Watkins has been granted an immediate relapse from the Titans, as his father has contracted Covid-19. Hope his father pulls through, and that his family is well. 

Family always comes first. Hope everything turns out ok.

Wasnt there a rumour Wigan wanted him? Interesting he’s been release rather than allowed to return on compassionate grounds

It is a shame he has left the NRL, there are no games being played for some time yet.

I hope things work out for him and his family.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

14 minutes ago, Allora said:

It is a shame he has left the NRL, there are no games being played for some time yet.

I hope things work out for him and his family.

Yeah I don't see why returning home would prohibit him from not being able to stay in the NRL, if that is what both parties want. I hope his father and family are all okay.

I don't quite understand how the contract release relates to the desire for him to come home and care for his father?

Surely he could have had time away on 'compassionate grounds' especially since there won't be any NRL games until the end of May at the very, very earliest?

20 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I don't quite understand how the contract release relates to the desire for him to come home and care for his father?

Surely he could have had time away on 'compassionate grounds' especially since there won't be any NRL games until the end of May at the very, very earliest?

Exactly my thoughts Paul.  Might be the easiest for both parties. 

Either way, best wishes for his Fathers speedy recovery.

7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Sounds like this is his ‘excuse’, the straw that broke the camel’s back perhaps, to return home. 

His career has gone down the pan a bit since his injuries, which is a shame, as he was one of England’s best for a long time. 

A tad harsh that one mate.

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Your comment.  His Father is ill.

I have no idea what you’re on about. 

This (his father’s illness) could have been the final straw for him and his family. The Gold Coast is a long way from Leeds and a long way from family and friends, maybe they’ve not settled and this is now an opportune time to return home.  

Watkins wont be able to have face to face contact anyway with someone with the virus plus flights are at a premium , I hope everything works out ok for his dad - how many times have players gone home and then returned on family grounds? very strange indeed to end the contract

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

14 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

If you cant see the difference between general RL stuff and a personal situation such as this it speaks volumes

Can you give us a list of what’s Scotchy approved that we can talk about please? We can’t talk about this but we can talk about Covid-19 and the utterly pointless and unnecessary return of a minority sport? Odd. 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Sounds like this is his ‘excuse’, the straw that broke the camel’s back perhaps, to return home. 

His career has gone down the pan a bit since his injuries, which is a shame, as he was one of England’s best for a long time. 

What a compassionate judgement.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Sad news for Kallum. Hope his Dad is ok. Think he would have improved this year in the NRL. Looked sharp in the one trial game i saw him in.

I guess without knowing the full extent of his Dads medical condition, Covid related or otherwise, it's impossible to guess what his reasons are for asking for a release.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That's an awful comment to put. Shame on you. The lads father is ill with an illness that's rapidly killing people all over the world, and your saying he's using it as an excuse to get out of a club he's struggled at. Unbelievable 

Archived