Kallum Watkins to Return to Super League? (Merged Threads)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was looking more involved and effective in 2020 than in 2019. If he really is leaving the NRL, it'd be a shame, but a SL club could find themselves with a revitalised Watkins on their hands. A guy with a lot to prove.

All the best to his dad, but Kallum shouldn't make any rash career decisions right now.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• John Drake changed the title to Kallum Watkins to Return to Super League? (Merged Threads)
4 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Sounds like this is his ‘excuse’, the straw that broke the camel’s back perhaps, to return home. 

His career has gone down the pan a bit since his injuries, which is a shame, as he was one of England’s best for a long time. 

You're all heart you pal.

I get his Dad is sick, but he could have taken a leave of absence and come back to us when he is ready to. I agree with the earlier post - this is just a convenient out.

Once again, an English outside back fails in the NRL. He could have stuck it out and reached the level required, but he is mentally weak like so many before him and run home to the comfort and ease of the SL.

No wonder the Eng/GB national team has mental weaknesses in this area.

16 minutes ago, goldcoaster said:

I get his Dad is sick, but he could have taken a leave of absence and come back to us when he is ready to. I agree with the earlier post - this is just a convenient out.

Once again, an English outside back fails in the NRL. He could have stuck it out and reached the level required, but he is mentally weak like so many before him and run home to the comfort and ease of the SL.

Dreadful comment, you should take a good look at yourself. 

Having done the emigration thing... the first six to twelve months are the hardest... settling into a new country, getting used to the nuances and bugbears... if I had had to isolate during that time I would have gone crazy! 

I don’t doubt that many players on both sides of the world (especially those with family) will be asking themselves if they too should return home to, at least some sort of, normality. 

it will be interesting to see if he can actually get out of the country....

I too have a close family member back in the UK who has the virus.... so I fully understand his and his family’s decision. 

1 hour ago, goldcoaster said:

What a dreadful post.

A couple of really cheap and nasty comments on this thread, and I'm glad to see them so robustly challenged by so many people.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

43 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

A couple of really cheap and nasty comments on this thread, and I'm glad to see them so robustly challenged by so many people.

Nobody is criticising him for going home - why not, there is no NRL and clearly it is terrible situation for his father and his family. 

But to quit his contract altogether after just 8 matches is pathetic. Why not just take a break, go home and return to the Titans when the season is ready to start again.

50 minutes ago, goldcoaster said:

Nobody is criticising him for going home - why not, there is no NRL and clearly it is terrible situation for his father and his family. 

But to quit his contract altogether after just 8 matches is pathetic. Why not just take a break, go home and return to the Titans when the season is ready to start again.

Firstly it’s not really any of your business why he has chosen to do what he has done.

Secondly his father is seriously ill as I believe is his partners father (not with CV I don’t think), for you to call his decision ‘pathetic’ without knowing fully about his situation is very poor form, Especially your first post which is pretty dreadful to be honest.

9 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

Yeah because we've never had any big tough Aussies returning to the NRL  from Superleague citing "family" issues.

You seriously need to give yourself an uppercut.

There definitely must be more to this, otherwise presumably he’d go on compassionate leave. My biggest question/hope is that he’s able to get back to the UK, although sadly it’s not like he’ll be able to see his Dad, as he’ll be isolated. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

It’s a real shame though, both his personal circumstances and those of us so willing and interested in seeing him get back to his best and playing in NRL

It will be interesting to see what clubs might be in a position to pick him up when play resumes. I can’t think of many that would have much cap space left or be willing to stretch themselves in the current climate 

First of all, most importantly I hope is Dad is okay and wish him all the best.

As for SL  destination don't care yet, much more important things going on.

Hope all is well with him and his family.

Other than that stay well everyone.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Not interested in who if anybody he signs for 

There's 2 ways of looking at it 

1 he himself personally would probably be safer in Oz than here 

2 his dad is I'll and his home is here , in times of crisis most would want to be at home 

One last observation , I doubt Sonny Bill will be returning to either the UK or Canada , I assume he probably has homes in both Aussie and NZ , if I were him , I'd be staying there right now 

15 minutes ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

I wonder what the "Wolfpack's revised pay model" means? 

Presumably they've cut pay due to the shutdown, but does the salary cap remain the same? Is that how they'd now have room to sign Watkins when they had been right at the cap limit? 

If so the Wolfpack may have just got a get out of jail free card for their salary cap problems. 

8 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I wonder what the "Wolfpack's revised pay model" means? 

Presumably they've cut pay due to the shutdown, but does the salary cap remain the same? Is that how they'd now have room to sign Watkins when they had been right at the cap limit? 

If so the Wolfpack may have just got a get out of jail free card for their salary cap problems. 

I really doubt it will be an issue , I cannot see a traditional conclusion to this season 

I think Kallum Watkins should be commended for not only seeking help when suffering from depression,but then going public about the matter.

Extremely difficult for non-professional sports people to get over injuries,mentally and physically,and even more so for professional players - particularly when so many miles away from home,when wanting to impress new employers,and supporters.

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/leeds-rhinos-star-kallum-watkins-opens-up-on-depression-battle

Delighted he is back working with an individual he respects and trusts.

My best wishes to him and his father at this extremely difficult time.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

30 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Not interested in who if anybody he signs for 

There's 2 ways of looking at it 

1 he himself personally would probably be safer in Oz than here 

2 his dad is I'll and his home is here , in times of crisis most would want to be at home 

One last observation , I doubt Sonny Bill will be returning to either the UK or Canada , I assume he probably has homes in both Aussie and NZ , if I were him , I'd be staying there right now 

I’m sure SBW is very grateful for your advice

Archived