Watching some of the old Fev classic games that Terry Mullaney has been putting up on Facebook, it struck me how many players we have who are remembered for one particular game above all others.

I'm not talking about players who were star performers, just guys who we all think about the same game when their name is mentioned. Not that some of them didn't play well in other games by the way.

I came up with six (one is a very old one so some might not remember) - some played more games for us than others, but see if one game leaps out at you as it does for me when you see their names.

Mark Knapper
Francis Maloney
Dominic Maloney
Aaron Paleilei
Andy Bannister
Jeff Townend

38 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

To be fair, mark knapper hit a purple patch for a few months before disappearing into relative obscurity after his move to Scarborough?

That kick though..... one of my fav fev moments

Good point, but everyone immediately thinks of THAT game and that kick don't they?...I played with him at school (the dreaded Union sadly, not through my choice) and he was the standout player in the team.

8 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I'm 56; went to Regent Street infants, then Purston junior school (which disappeared many years ago) across the road from Jubilee Steps , then King's School in (I think) 1974.

I'm a couple of school years older. I just wondered if we'd played against each other at some point.

Kings v Wath was always a decent shindig.

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

I'm a couple of school years older. I just wondered if we'd played against each other at some point.

Kings v Wath was always a decent shindig.

I don't remember playing against Wath.

King's still had delusions of grandeur when I was there and used to play against big, traditional schools who used to batter us. I was a fairly slight and not very talented full back and called it a day at U16 level after being run over by a series of adult-shaped battering rams from Bradford Grammar School. Sometimes you just have to accept that you're not very good at something!

I do remember being very resentful all the way through my time at King's that we didn't play League.

One game that sticks in my mind was Alan Tennant's debut at P.O Road. Walt Tennant also played that match and I well remember how he guided and encouraged Alan throughout the game. Both very good players . I also remember Joe Hoyle. the butcher making his debut 

Although they were both renowned centres I feel sure that on that day Walt played centre to Alan playing on the wing. It would have been in the late forties. I reckon I was about 14 at the time. Happy memeories of both players. As I started watching in 1939 I saw a lot of Walt before then..

Interesting you mention Dom Maloney. He's a player who did stand out for me in just the one game. No idea who it was against, but he'd been fairly anonymous for us for most of the season, then rumours started about him joining the army. As soon as it was confirmed, next game was one of the best individual performances I'd seen from a prop. He never managed it again, for whatever reason. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

8 hours ago, gazza77 said:

Interesting you mention Dom Maloney. He's a player who did stand out for me in just the one game. No idea who it was against, but he'd been fairly anonymous for us for most of the season, then rumours started about him joining the army. As soon as it was confirmed, next game was one of the best individual performances I'd seen from a prop. He never managed it again, for whatever reason. 

Yep. Leigh at home in, I think, the play off semis. We were well behind at half time but Maloney was inspired and we won comfortably. Think that was the game Kevin Henderson was sent off near the end for trying to decapitate Kyle Briggs and even his brother Andrew on the TV comms said he deserved to be sent off!

On 18/04/2020 at 12:40, Robin Evans said:

To be fair, mark knapper hit a purple patch for a few months before disappearing into relative obscurity after his move to Scarborough?

That kick though..... one of my fav fev moments

work with mark at Drax, Says he got a pack of John Smiths for that match, and peter Fox said to him Dunt lerit go to yer hed.  lol

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

Just now, lingard said:

work with mark at Drax, Says he got a pack of John Smiths for that match, and peter Fox said to him Dunt lerit go to yer hed.  lol

A go to moment of any fev fan of my our age Chris. One of those flashes, those moments that will live long in folks' memories. He should stay very proud of that day.

remember running on the pitch at after the game and shaking Foxys hand, a bit embarrssing as he was my boss at the copper works in charge of us appretices.   Great memories Robin. 

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

Interesting thread.

Paleili of course, he played so few matches, an iconic moment.

Knapper actually broke a club record v Keighley as well as THAT goal.

Andy Bannister at Old Trafford aye.

How about Glenn Bell? That one monster performance against Saints when he won 8-6, but otherwise a bit hit & miss.

That scrum-half aclled Andrew Georgiadis? Ripped it up on his debut at Barrow and quickly sunk from trace.

Jarrod Sammut? Literally one match. ?

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

As stated, my car floated across brierley common going home that day.....

I can't begin to describe the elation.... the first time my lad had ever seen me so manic.... one of my top ten fev moments.

2 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Interesting thread.

Paleili of course, he played so few matches, an iconic moment.

Andy Bannister at Old Trafford aye.

How about Glenn Bell? That one monster performance against Saints when he won 8-6, but otherwise a bit hit & miss.

That scrum-half aclled Andrew Georgiadis? Ripped it up on his debut at Barrow and quickly sunk from trace.

Jarrod Sammut? Literally one match. ?

I did think about ruling out Sammut for that very reason... I suspect in 100 years' time he will still top our "average goals per game" list ?

The only one from my 6 not discussed on this thread so far was Jeff Townend, but we have talked about his standout game on here before - v Hull KR in the Regal Trophy in 1977. Vince sent off for us, Steve Hartley & Clive Sullivan for Hull KR, and Townend's 8 goals led us to an amazing 25-24 comeback win. That was half his total career goal tally for us.

A couple more for old wrinklies like me - Dave Busfield having a dominant game at Crown Flatt in 1975 before sustaining a serious knee injury, and Dave Vickers producing an outstanding display to help us win at Headingley in 1978.

2 hours ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Glen Booth at Headingley in play offs, forget year, score was 18-15 i am sure. 

Brilliant win at Leeds, lost to Hull away 24 - 0 in the SemiFinal, a game to far after a season when we were not expected to reach the Play Offs. Remember Gary Pierce, the Hull Stand Off signed from Union, he was outstanding in that game.

Archived