35 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Brilliant win at Leeds, lost to Hull away 24 - 0 in the SemiFinal, a game to far after a season when we were not expected to reach the Play Offs. Remember Gary Pierce, the Hull Stand Off signed from Union, he was outstanding in that game.

1989 playoffs

Steadman & Harrison's last matches.

(23-0 writes a pedant)

14 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

I don't think so. Steady didn't have a good game but there was no animosity afterwards.

Yes. IIRC Steadman was carrying abit of an injury in the latter part of the year. That Hull match just felt like a game too far at the end of a long season.

On 20/04/2020 at 15:25, Stephen P said:

How about Andy Macintosh running rings around Ellery Hanley in game against Bradford before injuries got to him.

The Jeff Townend final goal in Hull KR game was a touchline conversion in injury time to win it!

Jeff Townend looked a very good prospect until the Yorkshire Cup Final when Tony Fisher bullied him to death. He was never the same after that, it seemed to dent his confidence.

I don't remember the Townend touchline conversion. My only memory of Jeff Townsend was in a match against Cas at P.O.R. when seconds after the half time hooter had gone he kicked a drop goal (which didn't count) from about half way on the Bullock stand side. I guess it would have been in about '76 as I was young and impressionable. I remember him being a big but mobile prop who looked to have a big future. The earlier post may have lead to that prospect not materialising. Funny how some innocuous events stick but others like the touchline kick don't.

On 18/04/2020 at 23:43, gazza77 said:

Interesting you mention Dom Maloney. He's a player who did stand out for me in just the one game. No idea who it was against, but he'd been fairly anonymous for us for most of the season, then rumours started about him joining the army. As soon as it was confirmed, next game was one of the best individual performances I'd seen from a prop. He never managed it again, for whatever reason. 

Here's that game...great commentary from Martin Overton, "DOMINIC MALONEY TAKE A BOW"

On 20/04/2020 at 19:39, POR said:

colin 118 19 sub so 137 in total

On 19/04/2020 at 08:18, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yep. Leigh at home in, I think, the play off semis. We were well behind at half time but Maloney was inspired and we won comfortably. Think that was the game Kevin Henderson was sent off near the end for trying to decapitate Kyle Briggs and even his brother Andrew on the TV comms said he deserved to be sent off!

Good memory PH. 13 September 2012. Fev won 32-14. HT 6-14. Maloney was a sub but scored 2 tries and was the League Express Man of the Match. And you're right about Kevin Henderson as well. It happened in the 77th minute so had no impact on the final score.

How about Andy Macintosh running rings around Ellery Hanley in game against Bradford before injuries got to him.

The Jeff Townend final goal in Hull KR game was a touchline conversion in injury time to win it!

Good shout re. Andy MacIntosh.  He was outstanding for a short spell (from memory 84-85 season). Shame it couldn't last longer.  I also remember the game against Bradford where everyone was expecting Hanley to add to his tally - I think it was that record breaking season

Can anyone remember Clive Hill's debut sometime around 1975? He was a right winger signed from York, who made an immediate impact with his ability to beat his opponent on the outside. Within a short time nothing was heard of him again, don't know what happened to him?

12 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Can anyone remember Clive Hill's debut sometime around 1975? He was a right winger signed from York, who made an immediate impact with his ability to beat his opponent on the outside. Within a short time nothing was heard of him again, don't know what happened to him?

He was a Welshman who played 8 games for us at the end of the 74-75 season and then 22 games the following season, his last game actually came shortly after Steve Quinn joined us from York but I don't think the two things were connected. I remember him as being quite chunkily built for a wing but might be wrong.

Hill seemed to be competing for a place with Dave Dyas during his spell here though I don't know if injuries played a part in that. For whatever reason, Dyas took over again from Hill just before our great cup run of 75-76 that saw its highest point with a 33-7 crushing of Leeds, often discussed on this forum!

• 1 month later...

Last home game April 85. Steadman came in January of 86 so that was Andy Macintosh's days done. 

I might be wrong but I think Jeff Townend played in the YC final defeat in 77 to Cas. 

Mark Aston only had one game where he stood out that was St Helens at home in Mar 95.

The one player I remember though that sticks out played a few games then became a police officer, Brian Waites. 

It was Dec 84 Rovers were at Workington. It was a freezing day. The 3 hour trip up there flew after a few sherberts. 

Workington were really struggling that year but were narrowly beating Rovers right on the hooter. 

Brian had been drafted in for his debut on the right wing as 'Choco' Woolford who'd recently broken into the squad himself had got an injury. 

Brian picked the ball up on our goal line with literally seconds remaining and scooted a zig zag run of about 90 yards of the Derwent Pk pitch and score in the opposite corner for a last gasp winner. 

The 84/5 season was a decent one for Rovers who finished about 9th, which represented a highest league finish since promotion in 1980. 

They sold David Hobbs that season too to Oldham which represented a huge loss. 

But players like Woolford and Calvin Hopkins came through on the wing, Mackintosh was signed from Leeds and young hooker Tony Staniforth made a brief series of appearances. It was also a season where Keith Bell converted to hooker and prolonged his career by two or three years in doing so. 

Sadly the season after Rovers again struggled against the drop and a last game point at Thrum Hall was enough to see them survive, however it just proved to be a stay of execution until the following season when in 86/87 the spectre of relegation reared its head again. 

These players probably played more than one game, in some cases they did for definite, but some I recall who had fleeting Featherstone careers. 

From memory.

John Gregory who ended up being head teacher at Minsthorpe. 80/81 ish.

Dave Edgington and Craig Wright also 80ish.

Garry Ward and Tony O'Toole played v Wakefield April 82. 

Derek Windmill an old Rovers player made a comeback at Workington for 1 game in 83.

I remember Neil Tuffs making a comeback for Fev on New Year's Day 1984 v Hull. 

Steve Lund from Castleford who made his debut at Castleford  with Steve's brother Ian Slater in 83/4. Ian stayed but Steve didn't. 

Dave Downs made an appearance v Widnes in 84/85. 

Ray Handscombe came back for a game v Leigh in 85 after retiring. 

I had a few mates at college who played around 86. Paul Wild, Chris Hale and Mark Milner.

Shaun Newlove a few games 90 ish. 

There was Dave Bugg who's now high up in the police force.

Also a lad from Ferrybridge called Steve Minter. 

Alex Gouldbourne

The much vaunted Gavin Hill made a brief unsuccessful visit in 93/94.

Who remembers Richard O'Brien (It may have been his brother Chris one was at (HKR one at Fev)) taking time off from Crystal Maze to turn out for the Rovers. 

Alex Thompson another lad. 

In post millenium times, Gaz Davies, Scott Wilson , Matty Handforth, I think Danny 'Grimmer' might have played in a trial game.

Nathan Massey had a couple of games in 08.

There was an hooker as well Kevin Eadie, the locals spoke about him in the same breath as Benny Elias. 

Ian Bell a machine of a bloke from Orchard Park in Hull. Ian would have been a world beater had he been able to overcome off field problems.

2 games 4 tries iirc

Cayci Pearson , Dave Dee and a lad from London who's name escapes me. 

A hooker who went to Sheff eagles James Davey, looked a good lad.

Young Swifty who tragically lost his life, his one appearance v The Army 

Gaz Raynor from Chequerfield made a couple in in recent times. 

There'll be loads of others. But they are just a few of the top of my head, I would be interested if someone could give me stats on them. 

Cheers if you can.

Johnny Hunter played alongside our Ian in the half-backs at home against Cas, in the autumn of 1984 I think, although it could have been '85? Deryck Fox was away on international duty and the pivots ran Cas ragged, with Keith Bell playing a blinder.

Foxy game back from international duty and I don't think Johnny Hunter ever got another chance? 

I also remember Andrew Vause having a couple of games up on the gantry. He was a very good commentator, whatever happened to him?

Hope you are keeping safe and well Andy? 

2 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

I also remember Andrew Vause having a couple of games up on the gantry. He was a very good commentator, whatever happened to him?

Hope you are keeping safe and well Andy? 

Thanks Steve, much appreciated, hope you are well. Just going back to your Ian, he and Steve Lund *** made their Rovers debut in an 8 all Draw at Castleford's ground , just before the miner's strike in .Feb 84.  Lund came in for Bardgett/Marsh   on the left wing and your Ian played in the centre I think. Rovers for some reason played in the white shirt blue shorts combo for some reason. 

The game at POR the season after 84/5 was the 13-12 win to Rovers. Rovers had been comfortable at 12-2 well into the 2nd half, your Ian had his best game in a Rovers shirt imho he'd got both tries. It's a long time ago but I'm sure he was left centre that day. Cas got it back to 12 all in the last 10 minutes (I say 12 all, it may have been 14 all , 16 all, as I say it was yonks ago) and with the last play of the game Keith Bell got a drop goal at the POR end. I think the away game at Cas earlier in the  84/5 season was almost a mirror image, They went 12 nil up early and looked as though they would blitz Rovers but Fev got it back to 12 all in the 2nd half only for Cas to win 14-12 with a pen late on. They had 2 sets of brothers playing in the Cas side that day,  Kevin and Keith Jones and Kevin and Bobby Beardmore.All I remember is Joyner having a blinder at loose forward. The Fev fans singing 'The grand old Duke of York' as York had recently beaten Cas in the cup. 

****Steve Lund was a Castleford lad he went onto play for Bramley and may well have only been a loan for the day, I believe he scored Rovers' try that day (citation required).

Take care Steve , 

Hasta luego. 

Archived