How many players can you name that......?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some African players over the years: Len Killeen, Trevor Lake, Gert Coetzer, Jaco Booysen, Hugh Murray, Toby du Toit, David Barends, Arthur Larard, James Megson, William Mart, Attie van Heerden, Constant van der Spuy, Carl Burger, David Booysen, Fred Oliver, Ian Clark, Ken Morrson, Jack Pansegrouw, Fred Griffiths, Ronnie Colin, Ivor Dorrington, Ted Brophy, Ernie & Ossie Deysel, Athol Brown, Jan Prinsloo, Tommy Gentles, Jan Lotriet, Alan Skene, Wilf Rosenberg, George van Rooyen, Hugh Gillespe, Tony Forster, Percy Landsberg, Colin Greenwood, Goolam Abed, Louis Neumann, Noor Daniels, Andile (Duncan) Pikoli, Salie Schroder, Johnny Gaydon... plenty more, when I check my copy of 'Tries and Conversions' again.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

As Ash Hope has already mentioned in an earlier thread, Hull KR fielded two American grid iron players, Tim Anchors and Pat Kelly, in a first team game at Widnes in 1980.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Wasn’t that Oldham, not Hull KR?

They definitely played for Hull KR. Played most of that season in their 'A' team but got a game at Widnes that day as Hull KR were resting some of their squad ahead of a game that I would have preferred not to recall.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 minute ago, Ullman said:

They definitely played for Hull KR. Played most of that season in their 'A' team but got a game at Widnes that day as Hull KR were resting some of their squad ahead of a game that I would have preferred not to recall.

We’re both right. 

https://www.totalrl.com/the-self-isolation-chronicles-oldham/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-self-isolation-chronicles-oldham

A quick skim through trinity in addition to those already mentioned...

Judah Masive - Zimbabwe 

Milan Kosanovic - Yugoslavia (Serbia)

John Hawley - Scotland 

Rudolph Hasse - SAfrica

James McLaren - Scotland 

Peter Murphy - Scotland 

and in the current squad

Titus Gwaze - Zimbabwe 

40 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

Two Italians at Wigan (1957) Tony Rossi (possibly not real name) and Tony Romano. I think Wigan also gave trials to an American called Chuck Wiseman, possibly early sixties.

Thanks Jimmy, Tony Rossi was the one I was thinking of.

danieli.jpg

13 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Yeah, Springer is from South America. 

But, technically, also from France.  I think French Guiana is an overseas department, so it returns representatives to Paris in French general elections and is territorially within the EU. 

14 hours ago, ShevWig90 said:

How many players can you name that have played in the English top tier from 1895 until present  that have not been born in the following countries  England, Australia, New Zealand, Wales, France, Pacific Islands and PNG?

I would say Stanley Gene, although born in PNG, is the only one old enough but he stopped playing a while back.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

I would say Stanley Gene, although born in PNG, is the only one old enough but he stopped playing a while back.

? I once saw Stanley Gene in a Wigan nightclub and asked him how old he was his reply was "I don't know mate"

Archived