The barriers to Rugby League's return

I don’t like the crossover season idea at all. Not a fan of winter rugby, I’d rather see a shortened season by the removal of loop fixtures and a later finish into November as it’s unlikely the Ashes series will go ahead. 

I can’t see games with crowds being played for many months at least but behind closed doors is certainly potentially feasible from June

Doomsday scenario but is there a point where it is not possible to finish the season? 

My main concern is if we finish in December then start again at the end of January/ early February and the players not having enough time off

Anyone who thinks going to be safe for a game a rugby in next 6 months is bonkers, we aint even started yet.And all those out for a wander round town as thou things are normal are going home or coming into contact with someone they could quite possibly put in grave danger. STAY IN.?

I'm wondering if the best thing we can do is just abandon this season completely and just start gain from scratch in late January/early February next year. I appreciate that several clubs would have severe financial problems with this and a few might fold, but given the potential for bad weather in the new year (remember the floods in February? The Cru lost their first home game due to them) there could be problems with a 'continuous' season.

32 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

'The season' will struggle to be finished quite soon.

But there is nothing to say that we cant have something that brings in some money whenever we are able.

The only sensible thing to do would be scrapping the loop fixtures. Playing 3 times a week will be a disaster, our focus should be in a successful 2021 season and World Cup

27 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

The only sensible thing to do would be scrapping the loop fixtures. Playing 3 times a week will be a disaster, our focus should be in a successful 2021 season and World Cup

There are no loop fixtures outside of SL.

The need to renegotiate the TV deal next year may be sharpening some people's attention.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

The loop fixtures aren't simply an extra 6 games tagged onto the end of the season, they are embedded throughout the season in the fixture list. It would need a whole new set of fixtures to remove them.

Besides, the idea that there is 'plenty of time' to finish this season is becoming less and less feasible with each passing week. We are already about 5 or 6 weeks 'behind', and I personally do not see any fixtures before at least the middle of June. That would put us something like 12 or 13 weeks behind the schedule.

I don't see how we can 'catch up' without either flogging the players to death, or extending the season to Christmas  -which then means there'd be no close season at all before the 2021 season.

30 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The loop fixtures arent as simple to just abandon as people think and that means getting less sky money (never mind everything else)

Why does it mean that? Sky pay for a set number of games each year and can still show them without the loop fixtures

17 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I'm sure sky will have clauses regarding length of season

I don't think any of us know either way on that.

Besides, IF it is true that Sky 'require' a season of a certain length, then we're basically screwed aren't we? We would end up just dragging out the season longer and longer, even if it meant that the Grand Final ended up being the week before the 2021 season starts!

I can't imagine that would make for a very appealing product for Sky in the long term when the 2021 season consists of sub-par games played with busted players.

It would also ruin the 2021 World Cup (perhaps Sky wouldn't be bothered about that, but still...)

There does appear to be lots of variations being proposed but I feel it boils down to 2 options.

The first option being to try and complete this season as fully as possible with next season curtailed to some extent - Martyn Sadler's plan is an extreme version of this.

The second option being to shorten this season, and play next season as a final season.

I'm more in favour of the second option especially, as this season has been so disrupted already.  Maybe we could even use a bit of imagination with the fixtures depending on when we get started again.  There's going to be no Magic Weekend, so lets discard the results so far and just have a season of 11 games with each team playing each other once with a shortened play-off system.  Then with 3 rounds of the Challenge Cup there may be time for an additional competition trying out a different format.

All this depends on what exactly happens with this virus and we simply don't know yet.

9 hours ago, themainbrace said:

There does appear to be lots of variations being proposed but I feel it boils down to 2 options.

The first option being to try and complete this season as fully as possible with next season curtailed to some extent - Martyn Sadler's plan is an extreme version of this.

The second option being to shorten this season, and play next season as a final season.

I'm more in favour of the second option especially, as this season has been so disrupted already.  Maybe we could even use a bit of imagination with the fixtures depending on when we get started again.  There's going to be no Magic Weekend, so lets discard the results so far and just have a season of 11 games with each team playing each other once with a shortened play-off system.  Then with 3 rounds of the Challenge Cup there may be time for an additional competition trying out a different format.

All this depends on what exactly happens with this virus and we simply don't know yet.

The last sentence being the relevant one 

15 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Absolutely, nothing should be allowed to impinge upon England's chances in 2021.

On 19/04/2020 at 17:36, silverback said:

Anyone who thinks going to be safe for a game a rugby in next 6 months is bonkers, we aint even started yet.And all those out for a wander round town as thou things are normal are going home or coming into contact with someone they could quite possibly put in grave danger. STAY IN.?

Far to many people NOT taking the Governments advice seriously, see it every day especially with being a Postie, unreal!!!! 

There a quite below from Nicola Sturgeon  trying to put a spanner in the works to any sporting resumption north of the border

The body that represents Europe's top leagues says when football does return it will "no doubt" be played behind closed doors.

However, the First Minister said any moves to do so would still bring issues.

"We have to consider if that completely takes away the risk," she said. "If a match is still on TV, the danger is people will congregate together to watch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52355228

So if / When we get matches played behind closed doors., the fact that you might invite your mates round the house to watch is reason enough for some  to prevent matches being played regardless of what is going on at the venue as I assume the pubs will not be open anytime soon.

Sturgeon of course fails to take nto account that there are some rather big families clustered around the TV at home as I type...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

6 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

There a quite below from Nicola Sturgeon  trying to put a spanner in the works to any sporting resumption north of the border

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52355228

So if / When we get matches played behind closed doors., the fact that you might invite your mates round the house to watch is reason enough for some  to prevent matches being played regardless of what is going on at the venue as I assume the pubs will not be open anytime soon.

Sturgeon of course fails to take nto account that there are some rather big families clustered around the TV at home as I type...

They already lives together so it's not a problem. 

But the rest of your point is correct. When I heard Sturgeon's remarks I too thought this puts the kybosh on any resumption this summer, because of games can't be shown on TV because it will encourage clustering, then it isn't worth playing them at all. 

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Can’t just sit around waiting for it to go away forever, dude. It’s not about preventing infection anyway, it’s about ensuring the NHS can cope, which it has. 
And if Boris forgets that, well, I’m sure Uncle Rupert & the other media barons will remind him as the numbers continue to drop. 

We can’t let our economy and sport die out of fear.

Yes Donald.

14 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Yes Donald.

The sad thing is, Twit, Trump points to the UK as an example of a country which has made a balls of it.

We’re heading for economic catastrophe and people are worried about a few Glaswegians popping round their mates to watch the fitba.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Bundesliga planning with Govt to be back May 9th

Bundesliga 2 coming back? Local leagues? Other sports?

Reason I ask is that the Handball Bundesliga has, today, called its season and declared the top side champions.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived