Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
fevnut

Fev Through the Ages: Prop Forwards

Recommended Posts

Fev Through the Ages: Volume 6 (Prop Forwards)

fevnut has now posted Volume 6 in our ‘Fev Through the Ages’ series and this time we turn our attention to the 10 prop forwards that played the most games at prop for Fev. The list starts with a player who is Heritage Number 1 and in 2nd place is a much more recent player.

Have you yet spotted any player who appears in more than one list?

Take a look at the page by clicking on the link below.

https://fevblog452.blogspot.com/2020/04/fev-through-ages-props.html

fevnut.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Steve Hankins might have been there. I remember his outstanding display in the '83 final. He in my opinion instigated the final try in our favour. A good player who was under rated. His appearances I reckon from memory would be over a hundred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamescolin said:

I thought Steve Hankins might have been there. I remember his outstanding display in the '83 final. He in my opinion instigated the final try in our favour. A good player who was under rated. His appearances I reckon from memory would be over a hundred.

colin 118 19 sub so 137 in total

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our Grandad Frank Hemingway would probably have been top of the list for appearances but the second world war intervened. I don't know whether the War Emergency League fixtures counted but he didn't play in many of those anyway, he was stationed out in India for part of the war. He was Rovers' longest serving player before Willis Fawley broke his record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/04/2020 at 17:47, jamescolin said:

I thought Steve Hankins might have been there. I remember his outstanding display in the '83 final. He in my opinion instigated the final try in our favour. A good player who was under rated. His appearances I reckon from memory would be over a hundred.

Only 56 starts at Prop and 66 in 2nd row

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/04/2020 at 21:02, Steve Slater said:

Our Grandad Frank Hemingway would probably have been top of the list for appearances but the second world war intervened. I don't know whether the War Emergency League fixtures counted but he didn't play in many of those anyway, he was stationed out in India for part of the war. He was Rovers' longest serving player before Willis Fawley broke his record.

War Emergency League matches are included

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fevnut  vince played 309 games but on list only played 137 at prop interesting on his wiki says played prop hooker looseforward  so where did he play other 170 thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, POR said:

fevnut  vince played 309 games but on list only played 137 at prop interesting on his wiki says played prop hooker looseforward  so where did he play other 170 thanks 

I can't remember exactly when, but Graham Harris suffered a career ending injury a year or two after the '67 Wembley success, and Milan Kosanovic either left or retired, so Vince and Dennis Morgan were competing for the hooker role before Vince was moved to loose forward, could have been when Keith Bridges broke into the side? I don't think he had been playing prop long before '72/73 season? Don't forget he spent around a full year out with a knee injury and missed the '74 Cup Final.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, POR said:

fevnut  vince played 309 games but on list only played 137 at prop interesting on his wiki says played prop hooker looseforward  so where did he play other 170 thanks 

137 at Prop, 86 at Hooker, 8 at 2nd Row, 56 at Loose Forward and 22 as Sub. Adds up ok to 309.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/04/2020 at 17:47, jamescolin said:

I thought Steve Hankins might have been there. I remember his outstanding display in the '83 final. He in my opinion instigated the final try in our favour. A good player who was under rated. His appearances I reckon from memory would be over a hundred.

I think Steve played a lot of his games also at second row Colin. In fact didn't Siddall and Gibbins play most of the cup run at prop, and Steve Hankins was moved to front row for the final to accommodate Tim Slatter at second row, with Gary and Bosh Subbing and Belly missing out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...