Rugby League in Norway

Do any of you know anything about RL in Norway? 

I’ve had a look online and it looks like there’s an 8 team national competition with the GF shown online, a few smaller tournaments as well as one SL game a week on tv. The national team play regularly and win convincingly against countries like Sweden, Denmark, Czech and Germany. 

I don’t use Facebook but it looks like their federation page has over 3,000 likes, which sounds like a lot. Sounds like the game is thriving there, I’d love to know more. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’ve had a look online and it looks like there’s an 8 team national competition with the GF shown online, a few smaller tournaments as well as one SL game a week on tv. The national team play regularly and win convincingly against countries like Sweden, Denmark, Czech and Germany. 

I don’t use Facebook but it looks like their federation page has over 3,000 likes, which sounds like a lot. Sounds like the game is thriving there, I’d love to know more. 

There are more qualified people than myself to comment upon what goes on there but they’re pretty organised and active.

They were in the world cup qualifiers last year but got done by Greece in London, ending their journey.

22 hours ago, Eddie said:

There's a real core of expats in Norway. With some fascinating stories. There's Sonny Mellor, who has half a left arm, he's Kiwi and played for the national team. Nick Cummins' (the honey bager - RU international) brother Nathan plays too and they have Casey Diggs an American athlete.

They got government recognition after being only a game away from the World Cup. Really is a country that is making little noise but a lot of steady progress. Their national league also stretches up to Bodo which is in the Arctic circle. Games are played at 0 degrees there. 

Rugby League World writer

Twitter: @a_hope14
Mobile: iPhone 3

38 minutes ago, Ash Hope said:

There's a real core of expats in Norway. With some fascinating stories. There's Sonny Mellor, who has half a left arm, 

Distal or proximal? Sorry, I couldn't resist. I hope that Sonny (or anyone else) wouldnt be offended.

To be serious thats great news. Well done to everyone involved.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Rod Studd visited Norway to see the pub team that had formed over there after watching Super League telecasts on Boots N'all

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

12 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Distal or proximal? Sorry, I couldn't resist. I hope that Sonny (or anyone else) wouldnt be offended.

To be serious thats great news. Well done to everyone involved.

No words...

Rugby League World writer

Twitter: @a_hope14
Mobile: iPhone 3

57 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

http://rlif.com/article/8919/

Working towards full government recognition.

Interesting that they have more member clubs than RU.

The article says:  NRF is the umbrella body for several “rugby related” sports in Norway as neither rugby code nor the related sports, such as Gaelic football, reach the threshold for full recognition by the government in Norway. It is not controlled by rugby league or by rugby union however, rugby league has the largest number of member clubs.

I have to say, I thought I knew a decent amount about RL in Norway and I was under the impression that union had more teams, and that those that did play League, were all dual-code.  So this is very surprising and welcome news.

4 hours ago, langpark said:

The article says:  NRF is the umbrella body for several “rugby related” sports in Norway as neither rugby code nor the related sports, such as Gaelic football, reach the threshold for full recognition by the government in Norway. It is not controlled by rugby league or by rugby union however, rugby league has the largest number of member clubs.

I have to say, I thought I knew a decent amount about RL in Norway and I was under the impression that union had more teams, and that those that did play League, were all dual-code.  So this is very surprising and welcome news.

Excellent news

1 hour ago, Themusician_2 said:

Do you have the sport participation figures by a chance?

I do not believe this to be true for a second, despite their recent success at international level.

A quick google/wiki check states that there are 19 active Rugby League clubs in Tonga, as opposed to 82 Rugby Union.  Not saying that is 100% accurate, but it is a good ballpark I believe, and it's about what I expected.  A 4:1 ratio.  Probably similar to the likes of NZ and other pacific island nations.

1 hour ago, langpark said:

I do not believe this to be true for a second, despite their recent success at international level.

A quick google/wiki check states that there are 19 active Rugby League clubs in Tonga, as opposed to 82 Rugby Union.  Not saying that is 100% accurate, but it is a good ballpark I believe, and it's about what I expected.  A 4:1 ratio.  Probably similar to the likes of NZ and other pacific island nations.

I understand that ratio is changing fast though. 

On 20/04/2020 at 18:14, ATLANTISMAN said:

When this is all over i am looking forward to our RL visit to Norway 

Oslo YES

Price of beer NO:(

Paul

PS/Have a scroll back on the international forum plenty of Norwegian news there going back:)

Off licences are nationalised. Going there to buy alcohol is like going to Argos.

But I'm guessing there are illicit stills everywhere.  

Low alcohol beer is available in supermarkets, but go out for a meal and if you have drinks you will pay !!

So who fancies a Forum outing to a game or two in Norway once travel is back to normal ? Or maybe if they have a grand final ? Saw them play Greece at New River and looked useful.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

I started a thread last year about the huge funding that Norway Rugby League had also received to develop the wheelchair game. They received €176,000 which is a huge amount:

Rugby League Norge has been awarded 1,750,000 crowns (approx 176,000 euros) by the DNB Savings Bank Foundation towards the development of the wheelchair game.

The successful funding bid comes on the back of Norway gaining a place in the 2021 Wheelchair Rugby League World Cup in England.

https://www.rlef.eu.com/articles/1752/norway-rugby-league-receive-major-investment-for-wheelchair-game

It also helps that the national RU team is utter tripe - in the last three World Cup qualifying campaigns they've been dumped out in the first qualifying round. The highlight on their road to Japan was getting nilled by that international rugby powerhouse....Denmark.

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, Eddie said:

This year’s Norwegian season has 5 clubs (down from 8 I think) and is running from April to September.  It’s the Haugesund Sea Eagles for me. 🇳🇴 

https://europeanrugbyleague.com/articles/2086/norway-announce-2022-season-schedule?fbclid=IwAR0W2aj4mK3M4vybOIc7ak46romZwVN5GVKXQYROhu7JXOMEt43JTh_eU5o

Sad there’s a reduction in teams but you can likely attribute that to COVID. Fingers crossed they can consolidate this year and go on to grow next year, the year after and so on…

Nations like Norway ought to be targeting 12 teams… 4 in a Premier (if geographically feasible) and then two four-team regional leagues for development. 

A good RU (sorry) working friend once told me: “emerging nations gain success through two player pools: one that strives to be elite and one that plays for fun”

I travelled to Oslo in 2010 I think it was for a Rugby League event. 

A good group of guys with a lot to offer and affection for the game.

Also seen the national team play a few times as well. Sonny smashed Malta to pieces in Malta one noisy, flare lit, evening at the Maltese national stadium.

I hope the drop is only a blip that is turned around swiftly.

Archived