Community game return

On 26/04/2020 at 11:02, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

https://www.rugby-league.com/leagues__competitions/national_conference_league/article/56730/a-message-from-the-ncl-chairman?fbclid=IwAR0lSWKtvFljq781gU4FI7orWrfg_jzSlIXoYK_I6rkrSxBjuDNLqoNWzSA

Egremont Chairman saying on Facebook that regional leagues are a suggestion and nothing has been decided yet - apparently there are other suggestions but he doesn't give any details.

For Cumbria the suggestion is an 8 team regional league with the possibility of quarter finals, semi finals and a final. Given there are 7 NCL teams in Cumbria I'm not sure on the eighth team, maybe invite Seaton, Ellenborough or Disington?

Gateshead is been added to the Cumbrian 7... 

On 26/04/2020 at 11:42, Toby Chopra said:

It'll be whatever the national guidelines say, regardless of the level of sport. I'd be surprised if we were allowed gatherings of more than 100 before September. Does that rule out most NCL teams? Do most NCL teams have a ground where they can control entry or are they open access to the public? 

Amatuer teams get by especially those who play in the national league system by charging an admission fee, having raffles and draws, also if they have their own clubhouse on what they can make from bar sales and refrehments and food, and all these things require one thing, people in attendance.

On 28/04/2020 at 10:05, Davo5 said:

It’s a 3 hour bus trip from Gateshead to Barrow,2 to Whitehaven,so hardly regionalised.

Who pays for the bus? Not so bad but still needs financing making a single trip as the Cumbrian teams would have to do, but Gateshead would have to do that numerous times.

51 minutes ago, usain bolt said:

Isn't west Yorkshire as far a travel for Gateshead as going to Cumbria, which was the concern about it being regional. Might be even further, probably is. 

Was about an hour and a half for us from Wakefield to Newcastle on a coach? Less in a car

7 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

You made good time. Google says 1 hour 50 minutes. 

Not doubting you by the way.

Haha tbf it was whilst I was at school so its a few years ago now, time flies! Hopefully after the world cup something can be generated in Teeside so they can link up and get the york clubs involved as a closer measure.

I'd also think an advantage with coach travel for west West yorkshire is that its almost all Motorways and dual carriageways, rather than the cross lake district travel to Cumbria? Though I'm not an expert in that part of the world

Regionalisation always makes some “losers”. It does every summer in non-league football. There would be losers, most likely Gateshead, in terms of regionalising the NCL. 

Can the NCL help subsidise their travel? Probably not. Can Gateshead afford to pay it themselves? Who knows but it would look like a tough ask. Can all NCL teams put into a pot and it’s distributed solely for travel? Highly doubtful. 

21 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Haha tbf it was whilst I was at school so its a few years ago now, time flies! Hopefully after the world cup something can be generated in Teeside so they can link up and get the york clubs involved as a closer measure.

I'd also think an advantage with coach travel for west West yorkshire is that its almost all Motorways and dual carriageways, rather than the cross lake district travel to Cumbria? Though I'm not an expert in that part of the world

Your correct,local derbies against the 2 Barrow sides will involve a 1.5 hour bus trip from the Whitehaven area down a goat track.

For Gateshead they will have a 2 hr trip over the A69 to the Whitehaven,2.5 hrs to Millom and 3 hrs to Barrow.

End of the day, Gateshead being an outlier are going to be a problem for whoever needs to travel there, whether it be humberside, Yorkshire or Cumbria. No easy solution. Definately not regional for any team to travel there, and for Gateshead a cost and travel for half their fixtures.

Cumbria travel isn't the easiest either, especially once out of the brow,egremont Kells  vicinity. The barrow teams that seem to be struggling at the minute, on the field that is, won't relish trips to Whitehaven region if they're getting beat every week.

2 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

You made good time. Google says 1 hour 50 minutes. 

Not doubting you by the way.

So nearly 2 hours, similar to a Whitehaven trip then , certainly not a derby with anyone, so a problem for whoever draws the short straw.

There’s no indication that Gateshead aren’t happy about being placed in the Cumbrian League. They’d realise that they’re in a unique position, being the only club in their area within the NCL and any regionalised leagues would mean a significant amount of travel compared with others. 

Not quite sure about the concerns about Gateshead travelling to Cumbria as they’ll probably have less travel rather than more than that they were going to have to do in NCL 3 anyway. As for the other Cumbria clubs they’ll certainly be doing less going to the NE than they would do to Hull or West Yorkshire. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

Archived