Summer Bash Postponed

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Pedantic. 

They're still open to hosting a similar event. 

Cancelled means that you can get a refund; postponed, as in Magic Weekend, is not yet offering refunds. Next time you ask for your money back for something that you didn't receive and are accused of being pedantic then you might usefully remember this.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, weighman said:

What about the league ?

What about it?

Well we know the |Summer Bash will not be played on the original date, but according to my clubs fixture list the match on the 3/5/20 has been postponed . 

My point was has there been any further announcement on the league situation .

57 minutes ago, weighman said:

Well we know the |Summer Bash will not be played on the original date, but according to my clubs fixture list the match on the 3/5/20 has been postponed

My point was has there been any further announcement on the league situation .

On FEV web as each week passes the corresponding fixture for that date comes up as p-p but summer  bash due on 30th may against bradford has been removed

1 hour ago, weighman said:

I support a C1 club & fear for the future of C1.

I support Oldham in the Championship. I share your fears for the two lower division's. I think the game will struggle as a whole, its not the richest sport in the world and these conditions imposed on us however needed are doing immense harm to the game. We'll just have to hope and pray mate. Its a terrible predicament we're all in. 

3 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

I support Oldham in the Championship. I share your fears for the two lower division's. I think the game will struggle as a whole, its not the richest sport in the world and these conditions imposed on us however needed are doing immense harm to the game. We'll just have to hope and pray mate. Its a terrible predicament we're all in. 

I support your local rivals Swinton Lions.

I too share your fears for the future of clubs in the lower divisions.

I worry about the future of clubs in these divisions which certainly aren’t wealthy.

And I fear that we will lose clubs or that some of them will end up going amateur to stay in business.

As you say we have to hope and pray.

8 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I support your local rivals Swinton Lions.

I too share your fears for the future of clubs in the lower divisions.

I worry about the future of clubs in these divisions which certainly aren’t wealthy.

And I fear that we will lose clubs or that some of them will end up going amateur to stay in business.

As you say we have to hope and pray.

I can't believe all this negativity about the future of the game because we have had games cancelled and lockdown being increased 

What if this lockdown had happened in october five weeks later were in november with prospects of lockdown being increased at the time there are no rugby games planned until march that's six months without games are clubs going to the wall because of this inactivity which happens every year

So what's the difference between postponed matches and no matches scheduled  to make people worry about the future of the game 

This pandemic won't be the end of rugby league 

10 minutes ago, POR said:

I can't believe all this negativity about the future of the game because we have had games cancelled and lockdown being increased 

What if this lockdown had happened in october five weeks later were in november with prospects of lockdown being increased at the time there are no rugby games planned until march that's six months without games are clubs going to the wall because of this inactivity which happens every year

So what's the difference between postponed matches and no matches scheduled  to make people worry about the future of the game 

You're correct it won't , even if clubs go to the wall because of cash flow , as long as they have a fan base they can and will reform , a club is it's fans , that is the only reason it exists 

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

You're correct it won't , even if clubs go to the wall because of cash flow , as long as they have a fan base they can and will reform , a club is it's fans , that is the only reason it exists 

But the financial implications of the pandemic affect the supporters of the clubs,and more importantly,on the owners of the clubs and their business interests.

The financial implications are also felt by the players who may be persuaded to ply their trade elsewhere.

The impact of the sport being played,without the fans being in their usual position in the stadia,is yet to be felt.

As with the younger population,there are alternative forms of enjoyment.

It is a very worrying period of time...and will continue to be so for some years after the new normal is up and running.

I hope the minds are being focused...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

3 hours ago, POR said:

I am being truthful and realistic.Many clubs especially outside of Super League struggle money wise.

And I agree that this pandemic will not kill rugby league,rugby league will continue.

But it might not continue in the format we know it as today.

7 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I am being truthful and realistic.Many clubs especially outside of Super League struggle money wise.

And I agree that this pandemic will not kill rugby league,rugby league will continue.

But it might not continue in the format we know it as today.

Agreed, rugby league will survive. In what guise remains to be seen. 

3 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

That will depend primarily on how the fans react when restrictions are lifted , hopefully they will all come out to support their clubs 

35 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Yes the game will survive.

The game is bigger than any club or clubs put together.

And we both know as Oldham and Swinton fans respectively that changes are and were always going to come within the next two years.

And as of yet we don’t know in what guise these changes will be.

But my feeling is that be it because of this crisis or general restructuring in the game,the guise is going to be a lot different than it is now.

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

Yes the game will survive.

The game is bigger than any club or clubs put together.

And we both know as Oldham and Swinton fans respectively that changes are and were always going to come within the next two years.

And as of yet we don’t know in what guise these changes will be.

But my feeling is that be it because of this crisis or general restructuring in the game,the guise is going to be a lot different than it is now.

I don't know about you but if they start faffing with mergers and all that caper I'll be watching the amateur game a lot more. It'll be Saddleworth rangers all the way for me. 

16 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

That will depend primarily on how the fans react when restrictions are lifted , hopefully they will all come out to support their clubs 

Well, they won't, certainly not in the Championship and C1. Over 50% of attendees at these games are concessioners, largely over 65, and they are the group that are most cautious about contracting the virus and who, in my opinion, would shun large gatherings of people. Add to that those who will have lost the habit, particularly in the absence of any real news about their clubs (a comparison with the close season) or will have suffered a significant drop in income and there will be some larger gaps on the terraces than normal.

Those of us who post on these forums are pretty committed so basing your expectations of the response of others upon your own personal feelings is natural but, I believe, misplaced.

I think that all of professional sport, its funding and structures will go through a seismic change, one who's effect is almost impossible to predict.

17 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

I don't know about you but if they start faffing with mergers and all that caper I'll be watching the amateur game a lot more. It'll be Saddleworth rangers all the way for me. 

Time will tell on that one.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Well, they won't, certainly not in the Championship and C1. Over 50% of attendees at these games are concessioners, largely over 65, and they are the group that are most cautious about contracting the virus and who, in my opinion, would shun large gatherings of people. Add to that those who will have lost the habit, particularly in the absence of any real news about their clubs (a comparison with the close season) or will have suffered a significant drop in income and there will be some larger gaps on the terraces than normal.

Those of us who post on these forums are pretty committed so basing your expectations of the response of others upon your own personal feelings is natural but, I believe, misplaced.

I think that all of professional sport, its funding and structures will go through a seismic change, one who's effect is almost impossible to predict.

I agree Johnny. I foresee a seismic change in the structure of this sport and with the funding as well.I think other sports will see this as well rugby union being one of them.

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I did say ' hopefully ' John 

Archived