Virtual Season Tickets

Heard it spoke about in regards to Football on the radio yesterday. A former chairman seems to think it will be up to twelve months before Premier League crowds will be allowed back into stadiums and so has suggested virtual season tickets, so that people can watch games behind closed doors. 

I know a lot of Rugby League fans will have bought season tickets for 2020 and will have, or recently cancelled Sky subscriptions but would people pay for a virtual season ticket to watch their team?

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Heard it spoke about in regards to Football on the radio yesterday. A former chairman seems to think it will be up to twelve months before Premier League crowds will be allowed back into stadiums and so has suggested virtual season tickets, so that people can watch games behind closed doors. 

I know a lot of Rugby League fans will have bought season tickets for 2020 and will have, or recently cancelled Sky subscriptions but would people pay for a virtual season ticket to watch their team?

Yeah id buy one, 100%

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I’d be happy to pay about £5 a go to stream my teams games, but we can’t pretend streaming games at home has equal value of a season ticket.

It would not be acceptable to me if I don’t receive a partial season ticket refund for games I’m not allowed to attend.

I know Football League teams stream all their games these days, mostly to non-UK fans, but they do, sometimes, have them available for UK based fans and games, from memory, cost between £5-10 to stream from home, which is quite reasonable, I think. 

Something along those lines would be great and I think, fairly popular among fans if games are to be held behind closed doors. 

The issue is, as you say, what clubs do with physical season ticket holders. Some will want a refund, even partially, others will forgo the money and some will want a reduction on their ticket going forward. How you manage to please fans who fall into different categories is going to be a tough job for clubs. 

I’d be happy to pay about £5 a go to stream my teams games, but we can’t pretend streaming games at home has equal value of a season ticket.

It would not be acceptable to me if I don’t receive a partial season ticket refund for games I’m not allowed to attend.

What if that refund meant your club had to fold? I’m not judging you by the way, I’m just asking if you’d still want a refund in that scenario?

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I would pay for one on the same respect that from my 'normal' season ticket all the money goes into my club, so I would purchase on the respect that it is my club's own production and therefore they recieve all the money.

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I would pay for one on the same respect that from my 'normal' season ticket all the money goes into my club, so I would purchase on the respect that it is my club's own production and therefore they recieve all the money.

Agreed

22 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Don’t all clubs have to have their games recorded anyway? It could be an extension of that, depending on how that works. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Don’t all clubs have to have their games recorded anyway? It could be an extension of that, depending on how that works. 

I think that is the case, and most clubs put their 'live' games on for screeing a day or so later, I think but am not sure that is a stipulation of the 'Sky' contract.

I would buy one, particularly if it meant i could stream all of Wigan’s games. However,  I also buy a ticket for my 96 year old aunt, who could watch matches on sky sports, but streaming is likely to be a step too far. Seems to me that we as a sport in the NH are going to be in a terrible place as a result of the timing of this pandemic, unless the government steps up big style. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

What if that refund meant your club had to fold? I’m not judging you by the way, I’m just asking if you’d still want a refund in that scenario?

Yes I’d still want a refund because I’ve paid for a product/service that I’m not receiving, it should be season ticket holders decision whether or not they let their clubs keep that money.

If clubs want and need donations to survive they could set up a just giving page, I’d consider giving money in this way.

I would be happy to buy one. If its not too expensive I would even subscribe to games not involving my own team. So far during this lockdown I have saved at least £50 by not having to fill my car with diesel. I would be more than happy to spend that money on the sport that has been such a large part of my life for the last 70 years.

9 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I would be interested in something like this anyway - pandemic or no pandemic. Family commitments and working away usually mean I miss a few games anyway so a season ticket isn't viable, but I'd happily sign up to a streaming package if the quality was good enough. 

Some clubs already have something similar. Saints TV puts all games in full on to their site the day after the match has taken place and I know Wigan do similar. Wigan’s version has been around longer and they have live streamed friendlies, I believe. 

If this is the push some clubs needed then hopefully the advancement in social media can be a good thing to come from all of this madness. 

34 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Some clubs already have something similar. Saints TV puts all games in full on to their site the day after the match has taken place and I know Wigan do similar. Wigan’s version has been around longer and they have live streamed friendlies, I believe. 

If this is the push some clubs needed then hopefully the advancement in social media can be a good thing to come from all of this madness. 

What are the chances of sky allowing clubs to stream games live? Surely they are going to want to take a cut as they are the only ones allowed to show games live as things stand. Has anything been agreed in any other sports? 

What are the chances of sky allowing clubs to stream games live? Surely they are going to want to take a cut as they are the only ones allowed to show games live as things stand. Has anything been agreed in any other sports? 

At this stage, no. It is just an idea but I do think some rules around showing football on TV will be/have been relaxed while this goes on. Whether something similar will happen for other sports, I’m not sure. 

On 21/04/2020 at 10:54, Hela Wigmen said:

I think this should be looked at as an option even when everything is back to normal. I'm not sure how easy or lucrative this would be but I would definitely buy one. It would probably have to be run through sky or negotiated into the next tv deal.

I suppose the OurLeague stream is a version of this 

Would it be more acceptable to season ticket holders if all games in the league were shown. Then if they register their season ticket they would get access to all of them. Then anyone who’s not a season ticket holder would then have to by all the games for a similar price or buy individual games. 

On 21/04/2020 at 17:14, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Some friendly games are screened live on the club's TV channels, but the Sky contract doesn't allow live streaming, even of Championship games even though Sky never televises them  (so the fans of Championship clubs have to wait two days to watch away fixtures at Toulouse or London if they can't afford to travel). I can remember a Fev mid-week cup game in London being screened back to the club house a few years back because the BBC allowed it, saying it was unreasonable for fans to travel mid-week to London at short notice as the game had been re-arranged. For this to happen during the pandemic, Sky need to show a bit of grace and common sense and relax their rules.

At the end of the day, I feel it will be down to the genuine fans to put their hands in their pockets to save their own clubs, moaning about not getting full value on their season tickets won't save them. 

46 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Some friendly games are screened live on the club's TV channels, but the Sky contract doesn't allow live streaming, even of Championship games even though Sky never televises them  (so the fans of Championship clubs have to wait two days to watch away fixtures at Toulouse or London if they can't afford to travel). I can remember a Fev mid-week cup game in London being screened back to the club house a few years back because the BBC allowed it, saying it was unreasonable for fans to travel mid-week to London at short notice as the game had been re-arranged. For this to happen during the pandemic, Sky need to show a bit of grace and common sense and relax their rules.

At the end of the day, I feel it will be down to the genuine fans to put their hands in their pockets to save their own clubs, moaning about not getting full value on their season tickets won't save them. 

I believe there is talk of Sky relaxing the rules around Football being shown in this country (there’s a 3pm-5pm blackout on a Saturday, for example). Granted we’re a much smaller sport than the behemoth of Football but there should be some form of common sense engaged around other sports they have the rights to, as well. 

If it were to happen, it'd need to be in conjunction with Sky Sports and likely would have to be accessible through a popular platform like NowTV or SkyQ boxes (or both) in order to reach enough homes to make it worth it.

Some clubs would save money on opening up their grounds to the public via staffing costs, but it's the other profits they're going to miss out on.

Could force the game into the 21st century though via a steaming package with other on demand content (like historic games and documentaries).

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Archived