42 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

No, it’s not happening or no, please make it stop?

Make it stop. Although Manny is box office so it may happen.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Anyone know much about Japanese Professional Baseball (NPB)?

I was sad to read that it’s a bit on the wane and some of the teams are in financial trouble.

I always thought baseball was a big part of Japanese culture and they have some pretty cool sounding team names.

Anyone shed any light on it?

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Anyone know much about Japanese Professional Baseball (NPB)?

I was sad to read that it’s a bit on the wane and some of the teams are in financial trouble.

I always thought baseball was a big part of Japanese culture and they have some pretty cool sounding team names.

Anyone shed any light on it?

Google "Japanese baseball in financial trouble" and, on the front page alone, there are articles from 2013, 2008, 2004, 2009, 2007, 2014 all saying that Japanese baseball is in deep trouble. The clubs are dependent on the financial well-being of the corporations aren't they?

It's lost a fair bit of its lustre with so many players now going to MLB. I'm not sure about regular season crowds but the post-season ones I can see are all in the 35,000-45,000 mark.

No baseball in Japan until the end of this month at the earliest.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Google "Japanese baseball in financial trouble" and, on the front page alone, there are articles from 2013, 2008, 2004, 2009, 2007, 2014 all saying that Japanese baseball is in deep trouble. The clubs are dependent on the financial well-being of the corporations aren't they?

It's lost a fair bit of its lustre with so many players now going to MLB. I'm not sure about regular season crowds but the post-season ones I can see are all in the 35,000-45,000 mark.

No baseball in Japan until the end of this month at the earliest.

Cheers for that!  I’ll have a further read.

I watched the Cards-Rangers World Series documentary on BT when St Louis had that unbelievable escape to win game 6 after trailing twice by two runs with just a strike remaining both times.

I know to a Cubs fan this must have been gutting when St Louis do anything, but it made for terrific sporting drama. 

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I know to a Cubs fan this must have been gutting when St Louis do anything,

Yes, there's a reason I didn't watch it.

• Like 1

I once dreamt we had a local baseball team, just next to Cragg Road for those who know. Why? I have no idea. I've never had much of an interest in the sport.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

Naver.tv has all the streams.

So I'm up and watching Kiwoom Heroes go out to an eight-run lead over the Tigers.

And then the adverts come on between innings.

Oh my god, the adverts ...

• Haha 2

Just been reading in the Athletic that the MLB are considering some radical changes in this probable truncated season.

One is the introduction of the designated hitter for the National League, seven inning double headers and starting with a runner on second base in the 11th inning.

They also talked recently about realignment of the whole league temporarily based upon spring training bases with Florida, Arizona and Texas possible destinations.  For a number of reasons the realignment has been shot down.

20 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Just been reading in the Athletic that the MLB are considering some radical changes in this probable truncated season.

One is the introduction of the designated hitter for the National League, seven inning double headers and starting with a runner on second base in the 11th inning.

They also talked recently about realignment of the whole league temporarily based upon spring training bases with Florida, Arizona and Texas possible destinations.  For a number of reasons the realignment has been shot down.

Those are all ideas that they’ve had before. The current MLB commissioner doesn’t seem to like baseball.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Those are all ideas that they’ve had before. The current MLB commissioner doesn’t seem to like baseball.

Yes, it seems like that’s the case.

I think the main thrust of the Athletic article was to suggest that now could be time to try something different as the season is going to be extraordinary to start off with due to the virus.

I know many NL fans view the DH thing with contempt.

10 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, it seems like that’s the case.

I think the main thrust of the Athletic article was to suggest that now could be time to try something different as the season is going to be extraordinary to start off with due to the virus.

I know many NL fans view the DH thing with contempt.

I don't like the DH but it's pretty universal. I like the pitcher coming onto hit because it's a new dynamic. But I know the direction of travel and the NL will have the DH at some point soon. I think there was even a plan it would come in for 2021 anyway.

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I don't like the DH but it's pretty universal. I like the pitcher coming onto hit because it's a new dynamic. But I know the direction of travel and the NL will have the DH at some point soon. I think there was even a plan it would come in for 2021 anyway.

Yes, that’s my understanding of it too.

It was coming anyway, but they might push it in sooner during a makeshift 2020 season.

I was hoping we might get some Korean baseball via ESPN but it looks like the broadcast talks have broke down.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, that’s my understanding of it too.

It was coming anyway, but they might push it in sooner during a makeshift 2020 season.

I was hoping we might get some Korean baseball via ESPN but it looks like the broadcast talks have broke down.

Go to naver.tv and it's all there.

10.30am today.

• Thanks 1

MLB has a proposal.

Restart 'Spring' training in June. Cancel the entire minor league feeder system. Major league teams play 80 games (half a season) from July, exclusively within their region. Expanded post-season, enlarged rosters.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/09/details-of-mlbs-restart-proposal-from-coronavirus-emerge/

A lot has to go right for this to be a goer.

Meanwhile, both of my eastern teams, Kiwoom and the Brothers, lie second in their leagues.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

MLB has a proposal.

Restart 'Spring' training in June. Cancel the entire minor league feeder system. Major league teams play 80 games (half a season) from July, exclusively within their region. Expanded post-season, enlarged rosters.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/09/details-of-mlbs-restart-proposal-from-coronavirus-emerge/

A lot has to go right for this to be a goer.

Meanwhile, both of my eastern teams, Kiwoom and the Brothers, lie second in their leagues.

I really enjoyed last year’s climax to the baseball season, although it wasn’t a good one for the Cubs or Red Sox (who I have nominally followed since the 90s when both were rubbish).

I agree there’s some big hurdles to overcome to make any team sport work in these circumstances.

Any word on the Nippon Professional League starting up again or has that been canned?

Looks like the age old dispute between US pro leagues and their player unions over money is back:

“An economic system in which player compensation would come from 50 percent of league revenue in 2020 instead of the current salary structure is a non-starter for the Major League Baseball Players Association, union officials told The Athletic on Monday. The union believes such a system amounts to a salary cap, while the league disagrees.”

On 12/05/2020 at 08:59, Gerrumonside ref said:

Looks like the age old dispute between US pro leagues and their player unions over money is back:

“An economic system in which player compensation would come from 50 percent of league revenue in 2020 instead of the current salary structure is a non-starter for the Major League Baseball Players Association, union officials told The Athletic on Monday. The union believes such a system amounts to a salary cap, while the league disagrees.”

The trade off in baseball, far more than in, say hockey and basketball (NFL is different again) is that you get paid less than minimum wage for years in the minors because when you get to the major leagues you then get paid significant money. The owners are all billionaires. They can afford to keep their side of that bargain.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, 'my' Kiwoom Heroes are 7-5 and fifth, and 'my' Chinatrust Brothers are 12-13 and second.

I shall have to check on what the play-offs actually are in Korea at some point, and also have a look to see if the Japanese League is planning on a return.

• Like 1

I'm not that when 2020 started I imagined spending a Sunday morning watching Mandarin-language commentary of Taiwanese baseball on twitch.

We're 4-1 down since you ask.