1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I'm not that when 2020 started I imagined spending a Sunday morning watching Mandarin-language commentary of Taiwanese baseball on twitch.

We're 4-1 down since you ask.

I’ve just discovered the joys of a Rollie Fingers moustache while reading up on the history of the Oakland A’s!

The man considered to be the godfather of pitching as a closer too!

4F85AD9A-02BD-4EB1-BB1C-2BC07BCD7E2C.jpeg

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

• 2 weeks later...

Japan returns behind closed doors on 19th June with 'my' Hokkaido (I chose them because Yu Darvish played for them) having a three-game set against Seibu Lions.

Meanwhile, 'my' Kiwoom Heroes are 17-12, good for fourth place out of ten and 'my' Chinatrust Brothers are on a four game winning streak to move to 18-15, now just behind the Monkeys.

MLB still stuck on how much money the billionaire owners are prepared to not have for the year. The Nationals had to be shamed into not cutting pay for the minor leaguers to $300 a week. Reversing the decision cost the franchise, valued at nudging $2bn, a whole $80,000.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

38 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Japan returns behind closed doors on 19th June with 'my' Hokkaido (I chose them because Yu Darvish played for them) having a three-game set against Seibu Lions.

Meanwhile, 'my' Kiwoom Heroes are 17-12, good for fourth place out of ten and 'my' Chinatrust Brothers are on a four game winning streak to move to 18-15, now just behind the Monkeys.

MLB still stuck on how much money the billionaire owners are prepared to not have for the year. The Nationals had to be shamed into not cutting pay for the minor leaguers to $300 a week. Reversing the decision cost the franchise, valued at nudging $2bn, a whole $80,000.

That is disgraceful.

Looking forward to catching some NPL action though.

I haven’t got a team in Japan, but will probably get behind one of the underdogs too.

Play ball!

• 4 weeks later...

Major League Baseball ⚾ is on it’s way back on our screens soon.

60 game season, regional schedule (40 games versus your division and 20 interleague games against the nearest geographic division.

In a move that will infuriate the traditionalists the designated hitter rule is being employed in the National League amongst a few other tweaks.

A lot of speculation over who a shortened season will benefit.  I’ve put a fiver each way on Tampa Bay at 16/1 with the Yankees and the Dodgers no value at just over 3/1.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29389596/everything-need-know-mlb-2020-season-restart-plan-begins%3fplatform=amp

12 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Major League Baseball ⚾ is on it’s way back on our screens soon.

60 game season, regional schedule (40 games versus your division and 20 interleague games against the nearest geographic division.

In a move that will infuriate the traditionalists the designated hitter rule is being employed in the National League amongst a few other tweaks.

A lot of speculation over who a shortened season will benefit.  I’ve put a fiver each way on Tampa Bay at 16/1 with the Yankees and the Dodgers no value at just over 3/1.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29389596/everything-need-know-mlb-2020-season-restart-plan-begins%3fplatform=amp

Meanwhile, 'my' Brothers absolutely destroyed the Monkeys 20-0 yesterday and have a slight advantage over them as the first half of the season moves to the final few games.

I've looked at what I think is the Cubs schedule and could, with a fair wind, get them to a 35-25 season. I'm not sure that will be good enough to qualify because I'm sure St Louis can get to that as well.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 02/07/2020 at 09:11, gingerjon said:

Meanwhile, 'my' Brothers absolutely destroyed the Monkeys 20-0 yesterday and have a slight advantage over them as the first half of the season moves to the final few games.

I've looked at what I think is the Cubs schedule and could, with a fair wind, get them to a 35-25 season. I'm not sure that will be good enough to qualify because I'm sure St Louis can get to that as well.

Schedule for the new MLB season is here:

https://www.espn.co.uk/mlb/story/_/id/29411548/mlb-schedule-release-opening-day-games-key-dates-big-matchups-circling

For those who like a pre-season punt on MLB ⚾️ then ESPN are backing the Tampa Bay Rays (16/1) as they believe the concentrated number of games will give less turnaround time for starting pitchers and they like the rotating trio for the Rays.

Traditional powerhouses like the Yankees and the Dodgers head up the rest of the betting:

Yankees; Dodgers 15/4

Astros 6/1

Braves 12/1

Twins 13/1

Rays; Nationals 16/1

Phillies; Cardinals; Mets 20/1

Red Sox; Cubs; Indians; Brewers; Reds; A’s 25/1

White Sox 30/1

Angels 33/1

Padres 40/1

Diamondbacks 45/1

Rangers; Blue Jays 66/1

Rockies 150/1

Giants; Pirates 250/1

Mariners 300/1

Tigers; Orioles; Marlins; Royals 500/1

I’ve heard a theory that the shortened series could distort the usual thesis that pitching strength is key in the playoffs but overall depth and power hitting can carry a team in the regular season.  Also factors like combined age of team may have less influence this year on an older group like say the Angels who have undeniable talent.

I think the relative weakness of the teams in the NL West (except the Dodgers) might just give the Padres a leg up in the NL playoff race over the others so I believe a £5 ew punt on them at 40/1 represents a bit of value.

Meanwhile, in baseball with crowds, my Chinatrust Brothers have taken the first half of the season title, after a run that saw them chase down and overturn the Monkeys' early season advantage.

http://cpblstats.com/ctbc-brothers-win-2020-first-half-season-title/

• Like 1

When I moved out here in 2009 I really tried to get into baseball, after all it’s the major summer sport here. Eleven years later and I have given up trying. Too many games, too many stats, not enough action plus the players eat while they are playing! Sorry baseball, you and me will never be lovers.

On 16/07/2020 at 10:48, GUBRATS said:

Rounders

Except rounders players don’t eat during the game, take fewer steroids and look more athletic!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Oldbear said:

When I moved out here in 2009 I really tried to get into baseball, after all it’s the major summer sport here. Eleven years later and I have given up trying. Too many games, too many stats, not enough action plus the players eat while they are playing! Sorry baseball, you and me will never be lovers.

Baseball says thank you for trying.

The Cubs *finally* played somebody other than the Cubs. (It's been only intrasquad games so far.)

And lost 6-3 to the White Sox. Booooo ...

Meanwhile, the equally meaningless exhibition game between the Mets and the Yankees shown only on 'cable' channels outdrew the main broadcast networks.

The season proper, all 60 games and universal DH of it, starts Friday ...

On 20/07/2020 at 07:26, gingerjon said:

The Cubs *finally* played somebody other than the Cubs. (It's been only intrasquad games so far.)

And lost 6-3 to the White Sox. Booooo ...

Meanwhile, the equally meaningless exhibition game between the Mets and the Yankees shown only on 'cable' channels outdrew the main broadcast networks.

The season proper, all 60 games and universal DH of it, starts Friday ...

Any predictions?  My uneducated ones are below.  I‘ve also took part in ESPN’s Fantasy Baseball (8 team league with a draft).  I realised during the draft how little I know but muddled through!

I reckon a Tampa Bay Rays vs Los Angeles Dodgers World Series:

AL East: Tampa Bay Rays

AL Central: Minnesota Twins

AL West: Los Angeles Angels

AL Wild Card: New York Yankees

AL Wild Card: Oakland As

NL East: Washington Nationals

NL Central: Cincinnati Reds

NL West: Los Angeles Dodgers

NL Wild Card: San Diego Padres

NL Wild Card: Atlanta Braves

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Any predictions?  My uneducated ones are below.  I‘ve also took part in ESPN’s Fantasy Baseball (8 team league with a draft).  I realised during the draft how little I know but muddled through!

I reckon a Tampa Bay Rays vs Los Angeles Dodgers World Series:

AL East: Tampa Bay Rays

AL Central: Minnesota Twins

AL West: Los Angeles Angels

AL Wild Card: New York Yankees

AL Wild Card: Oakland As

NL East: Washington Nationals

NL Central: Cincinnati Reds

NL West: Los Angeles Dodgers

NL Wild Card: San Diego Padres

NL Wild Card: Atlanta Braves

Aye, I'm hopeless at fantasy baseball!

American
East - New York
Central - Minnesota
West - Houston
W/C - Cleveland
W/C - Tampa Bay
Champion - Minnesota

National
East - Atlanta
Central - St Louis
West - Los Angeles
W/C - Chicago
W/C - Washington
Champion - Los Angeles

World Series - Los Angeles Dodgers

• Like 1

Mookie Betts signs a 13 year, $380,000,000 deal to keep him at the Dodgers ...

Post-season predictions already in flames as MLB uses opening day to announce 8 teams qualify for post season from each league for 2020. So that's 16/30 going through.

I am not impressed.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Post-season predictions already in flames as MLB uses opening day to announce 8 teams qualify for post season from each league for 2020. So that's 16/30 going through.

I am not impressed.

Yes, that gives a huge advantage to any slow starting big money teams to make it count once they reach the playoffs.

10 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The Chicago Cubs have made a good start to the MLB season.

My punt on the Tampa Bay Rays already looks horrible though.

Early days I hope and this playoff format will reward some regular season mediocrity so they could yet sneak in.

You could go sub .500 and get in without too much difficulty so everything's still to play for.

Cubs have got pretty lucky in their two against Pittsburgh and will come unstuck in real pressure situations for what is a very fragile bullpen. But 7-2 is a decent start.

• Like 1

Went to my first baseball game when Coventry Bears played the Wolfpack. Not sure who the Blue Jays played that day and I had no idea what was going on on the field. Followed that up with a visit to Colorado Rockies when I went out for the England game in Denver. Again, I can't remember who they were playing but I started to understand the play. Last year I went over that way again and this time baseball was one of the main reasons for the trip. The destination was picked quite randomly and now I'm a fan of Winnipeg Goldeyes. 

They played Milwaukee Milkmen in the American Association and I saw the whole series with my hotel just around the corner from the ground. Got home and found you could watch all games live on YouTube although they have a subscription channel this season and most games are being played at a hub in Fargo, ND.

• Like 3