The Cubs are nicely average this year. We don't have too many obvious terrible failings but nor do we have particular depth to scare anyone outside of our division. 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The Cubs are nicely average this year. We don't have too many obvious terrible failings but nor do we have particular depth to scare anyone outside of our division. 

The Brewers look the pick of the division due to their pitching, but I’ve heard it said that the offense is a bit thin for a longer run at the pennant.

Not sure what to make of the Cubbies and the Cards so far.

Great to see the baseball back though, I feel like I’m starting to get a bit more of a grip on the tactics of the pitching now after being drawn into the sport by the hitting and brilliant fielding.

• 1 month later...

Talking of the Brewers, just been watching them lose to the Padres.

Something confused me though. Bottom of the 10th, Padres at bat. They seemed to be bringing on men to load the bases without them having to actually face the pitcher. 

Is there some kind of special rule for tied games and extra time?

33 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

Talking of the Brewers, just been watching them lose to the Padres.

Something confused me though. Bottom of the 10th, Padres at bat. They seemed to be bringing on men to load the bases without them having to actually face the pitcher. 

Is there some kind of special rule for tied games and extra time?

For the past couple of seasons there is a runner on 2nd at the start of each half inning.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

For the past couple of seasons there is a runner on 2nd at the start of each half inning.

They seemed to bring on a second runner after the innings had started but I may have just missed a walk.

14 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

They seemed to bring on a second runner after the innings had started but I may have just missed a walk.

You don’t need to throw the ball four times for an intentional walk now - you can just say you’re doing it. So it may be that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

MLB.com show a free game live each night I found out yesterday. You just need to go to the main webpage, create an account ( email and a password )  and that's it.  There is a list of all the days/nights games and one will be free to view. No need to subscribe or pay a fee.  Obviously there's a time zone difference so it may be "any hour o'clock" here. 

If you have a Bet365 then all games are also on the streaming service there. Some are in high quality, others a tiny blurry box.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

MLB.com show a free game live each night I found out yesterday. You just need to go to the main webpage, create an account ( email and a password )  and that's it.  There is a list of all the days/nights games and one will be free to view. No need to subscribe or pay a fee.  Obviously there's a time zone difference so it may be "any hour o'clock" here. 

I can't say for sure, but it seems usally if theres a day game that day it tends tobe the free game

• Like 1

@gingerjon

An interesting and balanced article that I read just now on Gabe Kapler (San Francisco Giants manager):

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/may/31/gabe-kapler-san-francisco-giants-manager-anthem-protest-gun-violence-baseball

Thought you might be interested although it is off topic to the on the field stuff, it’s still a good piece.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

@gingerjon

An interesting and balanced article that I read just now on Gabe Kapler (San Francisco Giants manager):

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/may/31/gabe-kapler-san-francisco-giants-manager-anthem-protest-gun-violence-baseball

Thought you might be interested although it is off topic to the on the field stuff, it’s still a good piece.

Thanks for the link

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cherry and White said:

Joe Madden sacked as angels manager.

Will no doubt be remembered for that cubs world series win with the cub fans (gingerjon)

I think he's been pretty unfairly treated by Anaheim TBH. You know what you're getting with him and it's completely pointless changing manager mid-season in baseball, really.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Cherry and White said:

Houston throw a combined no hitter against the in form Yankees to take the game 3-0.

Caught the very end of that on BT Sport when the ‘meat’ of the Yankees batting line up in the bottom of the ninth inning all succumbed one by one to the Astros closer to wrap things up.

Cubs vs Cardinals on BT Sport 2 today @gingerjon - don’t know if it’s available on YouTube as well.

Ive been following the pretty stunning way the Red Sox have pulled themselves back into contention in the AL East in the last few weeks after a sluggish start.

Had a bet at the start of the season on a Dodgers-Red Sox World Series at odds of 34-1 which seemed generous to me so I stuck a tenner on.

Cubs vs Cardinals on BT Sport 2 today @gingerjon - don’t know if it’s available on YouTube as well.

The sport is dead to me.*

*Conditions apply. But I'm not watching the Cubs stink it up on a nice sunny day.

• Haha 2

Just reading whether the Yankees will break the record (116) of most wins set by the cubs/marlins.

i don't think they will, i think they will fall short at 110.

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977

wigan rl-wembley 1985

redsox-2004

GB RL-?????

Lancashire cricket 2011

11 hours ago, Cherry and White said:

Just reading whether the Yankees will break the record (116) of most wins set by the cubs/marlins.

i don't think they will, i think they will fall short at 110.

Not looked at their schedule but the AL East is especially loaded this year with the Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays and Rays all in contention for the playoffs.

I would think that these divisional games might be difficult for them to dominate.

Not looked at their schedule but the AL East is especially loaded this year with the Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays and Rays all in contention for the playoffs.

I would think that these divisional games might be difficult for them to dominate.

Nah.

Anyone can beat the Red Sox.

As the past two nights will attest.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Nah.

Anyone can beat the Red Sox.

As the past two nights will attest.

Losing that 4-0 lead in that first match at Wrigley Field in the series must have been a sucker punch for Boston.

No doubt they’ve got a great batting line up this year, but I worry about strength in depth in the pitching to win a championship.

Guess quite a lot can happen between here and then though.

• Like 1

Watching Dodgers/Cubs, First innings 3-5 including grand slam, 44mins  and 81 pitches. 

This games gone mad. 9-8 bottom of the third.

Edited by Cherry and White
  • Like 1

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977

wigan rl-wembley 1985

redsox-2004

GB RL-?????

Lancashire cricket 2011

12 hours ago, Cherry and White said:

Watching Dodgers/Cubs, First innings 3-5 including grand slam, 44mins  and 81 pitches. 

This games gone mad. 9-8 bottom of the third.

This is apparently the first season in franchise history where the Cubs haven't recorded a victory over the Dodgers.

Today was the last meeting for the season.

• Like 2