Who would you want in SL

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

I do pay attention to American sports. The initial choice of teams from North America reflects existing concrete reality (Toronto) and existing p concrete plans ( Ottawa, New York) and then plausible expansion to 6 teams which would be practical from a logistical-economic point of view, as well as a media market point of view.

If after a few years rugby league becomes very popular in North America because of the TV coverage of the 20 team Super League, then we could look at a stand alone North American League, which would likely consist of 16 teams initially, mostly located in major media markets, most of which already have NFL teams:

Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver

New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, Atlanta, Jacksonville,

Chicago, Houston, Denver, 

San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle,

That team list would be attractive to a US television network because of media market significance and geographic spread.

My conference sytem would be:

Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles

Toronto, Montreal, Detroit, Washington

Chicago, Detroit, New York,  Boston

Denver, Houston or Dallas, Atlanta, Jacksonville

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

6 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Nope - but I’ve played there a few times and know a few people from the town, lovely people but the town’s seen some tough times.

Well he was from a small village a few miles north. Near Vaynor.

1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

The correct answer is:

Wigan, St. Helens, Warrington.

Leeds, Bradford, Hull FC, Hull KR,, Castleford,

London, Newcastle,

Catalans, Toulouse, Avignon, Paris

Toronto, Ottawa, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago

Yes. That’s correct. 20 teams, consisting of 10 English, 4 French, and 6 North American. This would require recruitment and intense training of North American rugby union players and high school American football players.

The English teams would play in one conference. The French and North American teams would play in a different conference (sponsored by Airbus and Boeing), with separate TV contracts for France and North America, but with reciprocal rights shared with UK TV broadcasters..

In future years we could expand to 24 by adding Montreal, Jacksonville, Lyon, and Marseilles. We would then move to a 3 conference system, each conference having 8 teams. These conferences would be:  1. English heartland; 2. France and England expansionists; 3. North America.

Any questions?

Why would Airbus and Boeing sponsor? 

They sell to airlines and air forces not mass consumers. 

9 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

You have Detroit twice and no Ottawa. Even after you make the correction and add Ottawa, you have chosen Detroit over Philadelphia. But Philly is a big rugby union area and has also had rugby league teams. It is a better choice.

20 hours ago, Eddie said:

This is obviously fantasy stuff, and I’m as big a fan of P&R as anyone - but if you could pick the 14 teams you’d most like to see in SL (through P&R, or franchising if that’s your thing) who would they be? 

I'm sure we have had this before and i think the usual answers are

Leeds, Wigan, Warrington, St Helens, Hull, Toronto, Catalans, London(either one), Bradford, York, Toulouse, Newcastle, New York/Ottawa,

Job done!

12 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

Poor old Denver. A trip to Jacksonville is like sending Hull KR to Athens. 

People called Romans they go the house

21 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

What about South London Pwopa Nawties? Don’t they deserve a crack at the big time?

Mate you do a disservice to the Battersea Pearly Kings, who have been drawing crowds of over 100 for years.

22 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

You have Detroit twice and no Ottawa. Even after you make the correction and add Ottawa, you have chosen Detroit over Philadelphia. But Philly is a big rugby union area and has also had rugby league teams. It is a better choice.

Yeah, I realised my mistake on not including Philly.

1 hour ago, Mister Ting said:

Yeah, I realised my mistake on not including Philly.

A cheese SL with plenty of opportunity for expansion:

Caerphilly 

Cheshire 

Lancashire 

Brie 

Dublin

Wensleydale 

Gouda 

Parmesan 

Philadelphia 

Gloucester 

Leicester 

Leerdammer

London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Birmingham, Newcastle, Ottowa, New York, Mumbai, Sydney, Tokyo, Cape Town.

Split into two 5-team divisions, chosen by lottery at the start of each season. Teams play each of their own division home and away twice, and the opposite division home and away once for a 32 game season. Top 2 in each division go into play offs.  First round best of 3, final series best of 5.

Mmmmmmm.... all these exciting North American cities have got me touching myself inappropriately. Mmmmmm......

It's important, though, that we make sure these exciting, tumescence inducing new clubs are actually based in North America, and we can do that simply by making Hopwood Hall College's Middleton campus the 51st State.

On 22/04/2020 at 18:09, Manfred Mann said:

The correct answer is:

Wigan, St. Helens, Warrington.

Leeds, Bradford, Hull FC, Hull KR,, Castleford,

London, Newcastle,

Catalans, Toulouse, Avignon, Paris

Toronto, Ottawa, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago

Yes. That’s correct. 20 teams, consisting of 10 English, 4 French, and 6 North American. This would require recruitment and intense training of North American rugby union players and high school American football players.

The English teams would play in one conference. The French and North American teams would play in a different conference (sponsored by Airbus and Boeing), with separate TV contracts for France and North America, but with reciprocal rights shared with UK TV broadcasters..

In future years we could expand to 24 by adding Montreal, Jacksonville, Lyon, and Marseilles. We would then move to a 3 conference system, each conference having 8 teams. These conferences would be:  1. English heartland; 2. France and England expansionists; 3. North America.

Any questions?

Let me guess, the French and North American teams playing in a different conference (10 being enough to subdivide them into two divisions) from the English teams would mean that the former would have the burden and cost of almost all the transatlantic travel while the latter would be privileged and get off lightly so it wouldn't be a level playing field.

Which prospective investors over here do you seriously think would ever want to be bothered with such an obviously biased arrangement?

OLDHAM

SWINTON

YORK

HUDDERSFIELD

WORKINGTON

HUNSLET

MANNINGHAM

BATLEY

DEWSBURY

BARROW

FEATHERSTONE ROVERS

LEIGH

They've all either won the Championship or Challenge Cup, and have fallen from grace.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

OLDHAM

SWINTON

YORK

HUDDERSFIELD

WORKINGTON

HUNSLET

MANNINGHAM

BATLEY

DEWSBURY

BARROW

FEATHERSTONE ROVERS

LEIGH

They've all either won the Championship or Challenge Cup, and have fallen from grace.

A fair few of them have won both!

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

OLDHAM

SWINTON

YORK

HUDDERSFIELD

WORKINGTON

HUNSLET

MANNINGHAM

BATLEY

DEWSBURY

BARROW

FEATHERSTONE ROVERS

LEIGH

Manningham are now playing 4th division football, talk about fall from grace.

I'd also put Bradford and Widnes on there

8 hours ago, Trojan said:

OLDHAM

SWINTON

YORK

HUDDERSFIELD

WORKINGTON

HUNSLET

MANNINGHAM

BATLEY

DEWSBURY

BARROW

FEATHERSTONE ROVERS

LEIGH

I don't think York have won either, they definitely haven't won the Challenge Cup as they lost on their only appearance in the final (in 1931). They have won the 2nd division title and the Yorkshire Cup.

10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Manningham are now playing 4th division football, talk about fall from grace.

I'd also put Bradford and Widnes on there

If as Wiganermike says York haven't won either (relying on memory) then put Dewsbury in, they definitely won the Championship in 1973 - Stevo played for them.  I think Bulls and Widnes's glory days are a bit too recent to qualify ?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Archived