Sign in to follow this  
Total Rugby League

Super League keen to develop league structure clarity

Super League officials are set to discuss the framework of the competition during extensive talks this week. TotalRL understands the competition’s chief executive, Robert Elstone,...

View the full article

3 hours ago, Total Rugby League said:

Super League officials are set to discuss the framework of the competition during extensive talks this week. TotalRL understands the competition’s chief executive, Robert Elstone,...

View the full article

A quote from the article ....

"... there is a desire in certain quarters of Super League to remove relegation due to the financial implications at an already testing time for clubs."

And what about the financial implications at an already testing time for those clubs in the Championship who might then miss out on promotion ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

"... there is a desire in certain quarters of Super League to remove relegation due to the financial implications at an already testing time for clubs."

And what about the financial implications at an already testing time for those clubs in the Championship who might then miss out on promotion ?

I don't think those in SL are bothered about anything else other than self preservation.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

I don't think those in SL are bothered about anything else other than self preservation.

Absolutely right !

In fact it really wouldn't bother me if the Super League broke away and played their own style of game amongst themselves and let those who want to stay with the RFL then do so and play the game their way.  Super League clubs aren''t really bothered with the Challenge Cup so, as it is an RFL event, then don't let them enter and we can also present the RFL Champions with the proper trophy from the past rather than that tin vase they give out at the end of the Grand Final.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Absolutely right !

In fact it really wouldn't bother me if the Super League broke away and played their own style of game amongst themselves and let those who want to stay with the RFL then do so and play the game their way.  Super League clubs aren''t really bothered with the Challenge Cup so, as it is an RFL event, then don't let them enter and we can also present the RFL Champions with the proper trophy from the past rather than that tin vase they give out at the end of the Grand Final.

It might not bother Oldham fans but it would bother a lot of clubs who have ambitions to get promoted. 

Also where would the re-vamped CC final be held, you’d only need a 10,000 venue. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

it doesn't say whether its just for this year or forever...

If just this season and we only have a curtailed programme then it would make sense

12 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Imagine a business owner thinking of self preservation! 

Quite a bare article, really. Is this for a year or two due to the implications of the pandemic or is this the game, prematurely, looking at the future ahead of next year’s TV deal negotiations? 

Sounds like contingency planning, which is only right given the circumstances. 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

It might not bother Oldham fans but it would bother a lot of clubs who have ambitions to get promoted. 

Also where would the re-vamped CC final be held, you’d only need a 10,000 venue. 

I didn't mention anybody else - and not even any other Oldham fans - I just said about my thoughts. I also didn't say it would be the best opption; I just said it wouldn't bopther me personally if that happened.

However, if it did happen and the Challenge Cup was without those in Super League then while you don't think the final would attract the numbers are now - and maybe you would be right - it would also not only attract as little as 10,000. If teams such as Oldham Rochdale or Swinton got to the final then that number would probably be at least doubled by those who have always wanted to see them in such an event.

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

The championship is 5 games old, nobody has earned anything yet. There is  nobody to miss out on promotion. The competition would end (and restart) knowing promotion wasnt the prize.

But that knowledge WAS there at the start ... just as relegation was for the Super League clubs. Why would it be Ok to stop one club going on yet not stop one club going down ?

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

it doesn't say whether its just for this year or forever...

If just this season and we only have a curtailed programme then it would make sense

Make sense who to ?  Yes, the Super League but certainly not to those in the Championship.

8 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

And that's the problem with RL therse days ... it's a business not entertainment.

But it is a business. An entertainment business. 

35 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I didn't mention anybody else - and not even any other Oldham fans - I just said about my thoughts. I also didn't say it would be the best opption; I just said it wouldn't bopther me personally if that happened.

However, if it did happen and the Challenge Cup was without those in Super League then while you don't think the final would attract the numbers are now - and maybe you would be right - it would also not only attract as little as 10,000. If teams such as Oldham Rochdale or Swinton got to the final then that number would probably be at least doubled by those who have always wanted to see them in such an event.

How many do you think a Swinton v Rochdale cc final (with no SL teams in) would attract? They’d be lucky to get 10,000, it wouldn’t be much bigger than the 1895 cup, with not even the carrot of a trip to Wembley. 

Edited by Eddie

It's a win win for HKR, Salford & Wakefield, betray the code and the Northern Union and if they Finish dead last, stay up and bank the money. & if they don't Finish last bank Toronto's money as well. & it's a non too shabby outcome for the stronger clubs, another wedge of Toronto's cash for them aswell. Joke sport. Even though it's a good on field code and I am loyal to my lifelong hometown Club, I'm wondering how long I can continue to subsidise the joke sport through spending at my club. Dilemma. There's no wonder we attract few new supporters in the heartlands and even fewer new supporters from elsewhere when clubs are constantly backstabbing each other for a few quid and the structure and system changes every 2 minutes. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

And that's the problem with RL therse days ... it's a business not entertainment.

It always has been tbf. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It always has been tbf. 

A business, the shareholders have way too much power both within the RFL and SLE. A business set up to self destruct through short term dividends rather than long term strategy for success. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Make sense who to ?  Yes, the Super League but certainly not to those in the Championship.

depends how curtailed the league season is... e.g. if teams only play a portion of their games and not every team plays every other team... It may be unfair to some if they have more difficult games...

As I say depends upon how the league programme ends up in both leagues..

I really enjoyed the 8,s being a London/Toulouse fan it was great as 100% we got to play some SL sides if we finished in the Top 4 + there was always the bonus of maybe promotion.

Kept everything going until the end I really did enjoy it and to be honest at the time it didn't bother me too much if the Broncos did not go up as pretty much nailed on for 7 matches v SL clubs each year anyway,

Paul

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Because the club that would go down would have prepared for a different season. It is unfair to significantly change the structure of the season, which is going to have to happen, and then relegate a club.

It is less unfair to tell clubs who have not yet earned promotion, that promotion isnt on the table. 

You can argue that clubs in the championship knew what to do to get promoted, but there is also an argument that what they thought they had to do in January (finish top 5 in a 27 game season, then win the play-offs in a season lasting from january to october) is no longer possible and now their season will have a different structure. 

It isnt ideal to change anything at this point so we arent looking for a perfect solution, just the least worst one. 

Then the only option is to continue the season when it starts again. If that’s next year so be it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Why? 

Firstly if you do that most clubs wont be around to restart it. 

Secondly. from a practical point of view, the promoted club would still only start in SL in 2022. It would make no practical difference. 

Refusing to play this years competition because there would be no promotion and instead playing this year next year is utterly pointless and would damage the game massively. 

The obsession with P+R is killing the game. 

There’s no guarantee a game will be played this season. I’m being realistic. If  that is the case then there’s really no reason not to continue this season when it starts again.

Your obsession against P&R carries no weight only to protect your own club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

But it is a business. An entertainment business. 

Yes but it began as entertainment yet the business part has now become the main factor rather than just providing entertainment. I do understand the reason why that has occurred but it doesn't mean it is ideal.