Your favourite teams from other sports.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

Not that I follow all closely but here's mine.

NFL . New York Giants

NBA.  LA Lakers

MLB. Oakland As

Football. Bradford City

Scottish Football. Rangers

1990 I was a supporter of the Barmy Army (Wimbledon) Travelled down to Selhurst Park several times to watch them. Admired their fighting spirit and determination. Fought their way from non league football to winning the FA cup in just short of 10 years. Most of the team were local London lads. A great achievement . Unfortunately ran out of finances.

42 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

NFL . New York Giants

NBA.  LA Lakers

MLB. Oakland As

Football. Bradford City

I really struggle to passionately follow teams from other sports or comps. My two teams are Warrington and Man City and I struggle to get worked up about other teams results in comps. 

I've supported teams in NFL for a while after liking them on Maddens on Mega Drive, and have tried to force myself to pick and NRL team to follow, but ultimately I never really care that much and end up pretty neutral. 

I don't have that problem with international sport, where I can very easily get behind teams. 

Football - Southampton

Cricket - Hampshire

43 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I really struggle to passionately follow teams from other sports or comps.

Same. I've thought about adopting a club RL team, but when it comes down to it, I don't care enough and don't have any real affinity with any of them.

I'm another who doesn't care to follow teams in other sports or leagues. I'll watch other sports but I'm not interested enough to actually follow a team. As a neutral watching the odd game of football here and there I will tend to go for the underdog but that's as close as I'd get to wishing a particular team a win.

If I was pushed to pick another team that I support I would say Yorkshire in cricket but that is because of how proud I am of my homeland rather than my enjoyment of cricket, which I actually don't enjoy that much. 

I love snooker almost as much as rugby league and was a decent amateur player in the past but despite loving the sport so much and following it incredibly closely there isn't one single player who I follow over others, there are players I like and some I don't. 

Realised today I've spent almost half my life in Canada now.  I guess with perennial plucky defeats of various city, county and country teams in various sports from the old country it's perhaps unsurprising how drawn I am to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

This is a good thread. I have 5 teams/players I follow in British sport, plus others in Cyprus, Turkey. 

Rugby League  Batley

Scottish Football  Livingston

Football   AFC Bournemouth 

Speedway  Poole Pirates 

Darts  Michael Van Gerwen

2 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

NFL . New York Giants

NBA.  LA Lakers

MLB. Oakland As

Football. Bradford City

Rugby League - Swindon St George, Leeds Rhinos, South Sydney Rabbitohs

NFL - Cleveland Browns 

NBA - Detroit Pistons

MLB - Boston Red Sox

NHL - Calgary Flames

Portuguese Football - Sporting CP 

Football (and the main team I follow) - Swindon Town 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Oh god, there are loads. And I do get far too worked up about most of them. In some kind of order (London Broncos would probably come in third in this list as I don't get to see them much these days, but rugby league would come above any other sports, if that makes sense):

Cricket: Yorkshire

MLB: Chicago Cubs

Football: Aberystwyth Town

AFL: Geelong

Handball: Dunkerque

NFL: Chicago Bears

NHL: Chicago Blackhawks

NBA: Chicago Bulls ... actually, any American sport aside from college it's going to be Chicago and I'm going to check so put the Red Stars, the Fire, the Sky on this line as well. 

College sports: Nebraska

CFL: Saskatchewan

Other football: Bradford City, Hastings United, Queen of the South

Rugby union: Harlequins

Plus England in all sports including (as not covered above) netball, except union.

In the absence of MLB, I am, as the other thread shows, a recent lifelong supporter of the Brothers in Taiwan and the Heroes in Korea. I suspect this may not last.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Football: Liverpool/Bolton Wanderers/Hamburg SV (got taken to a home game in the early 90s)/England

Cricket: Lancashire/England

NFL: Washington (long term thing from the John Riggins era)

NBA:  San Antonio Spurs (saw them in Texas in a playoff game while on holiday)

MLB:  AL - Boston Red Sox; NL - Chicago Cubs (saw them at Fenway Park and Wrigley Field on separate trips to the states in the 90s)

US college sports:  Tennessee Volunteers (once befriended some fanatics of theirs while in New York randomly)

F1:  The British drivers and the British teams

WRC:  The British drivers and the Skoda team in class 2

Golf:  The underdog in any Major and Europe in the Ryder Cup

Tennis:  The British players and the underdogs in the big tournaments (was often the same thing when growing up!)

Struggle to care really, which I blame on being involved in too much amateur sport. But:

NFL . Even living in Boston, I could not like the Patriots. I enjoyed my Oakland Raiders game, but even that died with the move to Las Vegas.

NBA.  Not interested. I did not gain an affinity for the Celtics and the Sacramento Kings are a shocking waste of money for the city.

MLB. Cannot manage to care.

Football. Some affinity for Åkademisk Boldklub in Denmark, family ties me to Liverpool in England, with a softness for Wolves and Boston United.

Scottish Football. I would like to take the moral highground and say Partick Thistle, but I want Celtic to do better than Rangers.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Not really fussed about the Premier League overall these days and to be honest probably care less each year but....

West Ham United.  Born and bred 10 mins from Upton park(RIP)...even got West ham on my birth certificate ?

UE Sant Andreu. My Catalonian footy team of choice...had many a good rowdy afternoon/eve with their little mob

Miami Dolphins.  Always loved my NFL and loved the 80's Marino, Marks Brothers era

Essex CCC.

Keep an eye out for but wouldnt say I follow

Athletic Club Bilbao

Benfica

Phily eagles

AS Roma

New York Cosmos

Football:  Crusaders .  Also check Portimao results in Portugal. They have a neat little ground with the floodlights on the outside. Used to be a massive Liverpool fan was there the last time they won the league. 

Hurling: Tipperary 

Gaelic Football: Anybody but Dublin

NFL: Long suffering Jets fan

MLB:  Red Sox

NBA: no interest

NHL: New Jersey Devils

Cricket: Lancashire

AFL: Collingwood 

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Football - Brought up an Everton fan, still bearing the scars. Luckily we moved to Widnes in 1977, and my world got better.

Non league football - Runcorn, until Canal Street was sold for housing,  Witton Albion, Northwich Vics, Warrington Town. Always check scores. Takes forever.

NFL - New York Giants.

10 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

Gaelic Football: Anybody but Dublin

This is the correct opinion.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, doc said:

Football - Brought up an Everton fan, still bearing the scars. Luckily we moved to Widnes in 1977, and my world got better.

Non league football - Runcorn, until Canal Street was sold for housing,  Witton Albion, Northwich Vics, Warrington Town. Always check scores. Takes forever.

NFL - New York Giants.

Is it true that Canal Street was not actually sold, but the stadium was taken away for scrap as it was next to the dustbins?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

16 hours ago, Canis Lupus said:

English Football - Oldham

Scottish Football - Rangers

Cricket - Lancashire

No N American sport

No comment on your first two selections. Number 3 is fine by me.  But number 4.....I'm sure there's a team that's out there somewhere that you could follow post lockdown... especially with your avatar 

In order of how closely I follow them:

Football - Leeds United

Cricket - Yorkshire

Non-League Football - Pontefract Collieries (or any West Yorkshire team really)

Union - Yorkshire Carnegie

Scottish Football - Hearts

IPL - Kolkota Knight Riders

German Football - Dynamo Dresden

Not really interested in North American sports but generally I'll support whoever has the coolest animal related name.

1 hour ago, Treize Hombres said:

No comment on your first two selections. Number 3 is fine by me.  But number 4.....I'm sure there's a team that's out there somewhere that you could follow post lockdown... especially with your avatar 

Not happening. Have tried but find nothing of interest. Was rough back in the day when UK sport was just a column inch in the sunday paper and nothing on TV. At least now when things get back to normal we will have RL in Toronto and access to SL , RFL , NRL on tv with UK football and cricket.

Archived