Your favourite teams from other sports.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Is it true that Canal Street was not actually sold, but the stadium was taken away for scrap as it was next to the dustbins?

Cruel.

The late and much missed by me Durham Wasps ice hockey team.  Nothing better than seeing them thrash Whitley Warriors!

I think it was Dave T who said he's tried with the NRL but never really settled on a team. That's exactly my situation. I always have a soft spot for NZ Warriors as an expansion side, and I tried to follow Wests because they were the local team of where I lived in Sydney but it never really stuck.

Other sports in order of how much I actually follow them:

Football - Everton

NFL - was big into it as a teen (thanks to Madden) and the Chargers were my team. Don't like their move to LA though and have been following Dallas recently as I've got back into it. 

GAA - Co Tyrone. Lived there, they really go mad for it when they're on a run.

AFL - followed Melbourne Dees when I was there, have no preference really. 

NHL - Detroit Redwings, thanks solely to playing NHLPA 92/93 as a kid and the fighting skills of Bob Probert. Can't say I've ever watched a game. 

5 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

GAA - Co Tyrone. Lived there, they really go mad for it when they're on a run.

As a matter of interest did you live in Tyrone when they played Armagh in the All Ireland Final

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

I've drifted further and further away from non-international Football over the years, but I used top have a soft spot for Ipswich, in the days of Bobby Robson and players like Mariner, Muhren, Thyssen, Butcher, Wark, Osman etc. A very good side for a few years.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Loads of association football. Sheffield Wednesday is my home town side. Now I live in York I follow York City, and a fat lot of good it's done me. Tadcaster Albion, Knaresborough Town and Harrogate Railway Athletic for obscure local sides. Illogical soft spot for Brighton and Hove Albion. I'm linked through work with an office in Aachen, so Alemannia. Also Viking in Norway (work related, again). Dad (who is Toon) is a season ticket holder at Barnsley these days, but the Sheff Weds connection prevents me having much sympathy for the Tykes.

That lot keep me busy enough, especially with the Knights and Trinity to worry about.

US sports not much interest, though our lass is from Detroit so any Detroit teams would at least get noticed.

The sport I actually do is cycling, but why would you support a cycling team? They are all trade teams with no connection to anywhere in particular. Why would you want to follow Sky or Ineos?

When I was a kid having my appendix out HMS Berwick was on a visit to Hull. The crew came round the ward and chatted to the kids and gave us all a cap band. Cheered me up no end and I've followed the (dismal) fortunes of Berwick Rangers ever since.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

3 minutes ago, Ullman said:

When I was a kid having my appendix out HMS Berwick was on a visit to Hull. The crew came round the ward and chatted to the kids and gave us all a cap band. Cheered me up no end and I've followed the (dismal) fortunes of Berwick Rangers ever since.

You poor lad.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

You poor lad.

I know. Now mixing it in the Lowland League with the likes of Civil Service Strollers and Gretna 2008.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

26 minutes ago, Ullman said:

I know. Now mixing it in the Lowland League with the likes of Civil Service Strollers and Gretna 2008.

I saw them at Queen of the South once.

Looking at that Lowland League table (season now ended obvs), it looks like it could be a fair old wait before returning to the SPFL.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I saw them at Queen of the South once.

Looking at that Lowland League table (season now ended obvs), it looks like it could be a fair old wait before returning to the SPFL.

Indeed, Berwick haven't exactly proved themselves to be too good for that level but then I wouldn't expect anything else.

Football - Leeds (though I've grown up with a support for Arsenal as a solid 2nd team and never really in direct competition too)

Scottish football - Celtic, all my mates are Gers fans but my family are Catholics from Scotland and Ireland and I've got ginger hair so I don't really have a choice! I follow a few other European sides like Roma and Barcelona. I had to pick up a Serie A team because I worked in an italian restaurant for 5 years through sixthform and uni.

Cricket - Yorkshire, had a season ticket for 3 years till this year where they trebled the price. (Ironically now for no cricket)

Union - no real affection for anyone but like to see underdogs like Gloucester do well

F1 - Lewis Hamilton, been a fan since I was 9 watching his first season in F1. I like a lot of the new young drivers though.

Boxing - AJ

The teams/people that I don't like are much more easy to define.

This may be controversial, but I don't understand how people can have an affinity for a team with which they have no real connection. I get so fed up with various people in Leeds who are "massive" Liverpool fans despite being born and bred in Leeds. I know one person in particular whose Dad was a very famous Leeds player and he takes his son to Liverpool games. It makes me cringe.

There are people at my squash club who are "massive" Liverpool fans and take their Leeds born kids to Anfield. I'm sure their kids will resent it when Leeds get back in the big time.

My "other" teams are Leeds Utd, Wales (football) and Lancs cricket. I have a heartfelt connection to all of them; Wales and Lancs from my early childhood and Leeds since moving here in 1989.

Surely you have to have a connection to actually care? Or do people just pick a team to back for no reason e.g. an NRL team?

On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 16:23, Mumby Magic said:

Not that I follow all closely but here's mine.

NFL . New York Giants

NBA.  LA Lakers

MLB. Oakland As

Football. Bradford City

Scottish Football. Rangers

New Orleans Saints

Chicago Bulls

New York Yankees

Manchester United

Celtic

27 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

This may be controversial, but I don't understand how people can have an affinity for a team with which they have no real connection. I get so fed up with various people in Leeds who are "massive" Liverpool fans despite being born and bred in Leeds. I know one person in particular whose Dad was a very famous Leeds player and he takes his son to Liverpool games. It makes me cringe.

There are people at my squash club who are "massive" Liverpool fans and take their Leeds born kids to Anfield. I'm sure their kids will resent it when Leeds get back in the big time.

My "other" teams are Leeds Utd, Wales (football) and Lancs cricket. I have a heartfelt connection to all of them; Wales and Lancs from my early childhood and Leeds since moving here in 1989.

Surely you have to have a connection to actually care? Or do people just pick a team to back for no reason e.g. an NRL team?

Why Wales?

1 hour ago, Leeds Wire said:

Sometimes a sportsperson or team grabs you and it isn't rational - it just happens. You don't always have a choice in these matters.

Let's face it, very few things about being a fan make real sense.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Why Wales?

I was born in 1970. My parents had a huge caravan in the garden of a working farm near Tudweiliog on the Llyn Peninsula. They had previously paid to stay in the farmhouse a couple of times and they got on so well with the farmer and his wife that they suggested putting a static caravan in the garden in about 1964. Consequently, about 90% of our free time was spent there. I grew up around Welsh speaking friends and they treated me like one of their own. 

My first ever replica kit of any kind was an iconic Wales footy strip, circa 1976. My grandparents bought it for me in a sports shop on Porthmadog High Street. I vividly remember being so proud of it.

When farmer Hywel opened up his main field to campers to supplement his income, we used to play Wales v England football matches in the evenings, and I always played for Wales. I remember Hywel insisting I had to play for Wales because I was Welsh in his eyes.

Much later when I was a student I got a job in a shop in Pwllheli and stayed in my parents' caravan - I made friends for life, we now have kids of a similar age and get together when we can.

I suppose I may have such great memories of Wales because we were there at weekends and holidays, when my parents were off work, so everything would have been more relaxed and idyllic than at home in Warrington.

I could go on! 50 years of pure love of the Llyn Peninsula and to this day I support Wales because I love the place so much. 

Epilogue: Hywel died late last year, of 'farmer's lung', and his son Gareth asked me to help lower his Dad into the ground. I was honoured. We celebrated his life for 2 drunken days in the Lion pub in Tudweiliog and I have never felt more connected with people than at that time. I remain great friends with Gareth and his sister Delyth and always will be. They follow Wales to football matches all over the world and I would join them if I could, despite being English by birth. They keep asking me to go but I can't commit to it, just yet. 

Anyway thanks for asking Ref; is anyone still awake? 

Archived