Greatest Dewsbury Players - top three hookers

Wakefield Ram

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Mick Stephenson will be my top pick, but Neil Kelly will be in contention. 

Chappy

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Oddly enough, as an actual hooker, Mick Stephenson was reputed to be quite average, winning less ball than most. It was his skills in the loose that made him stand out.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 minutes ago, DewsburyRams4ever said:

1. Richard Chapman

2. Jimmy Elston 

3. Wayne Collins

Others; Glen Coughlan, Wayne Godwin, Kane Bentley, Richard Pachniuk, Kurt Rudder, Andrew Lippiatt, David O'Donnell 

Adam O'Brien (on loan from Bradford)

Did Paul Delaney play hooker?   

35 minutes ago, DewsburyRams4ever said:

Yes he did but played mainly at stand-off and sometimes at loose-forward

Ta.  Think I might pop in my hooker group.  Feel I need him in somewhere and he didn’t get in my top three 6’s. 

3 hours ago, DewsburyRams4ever said:

He loved a good scrap

Bates was a great little hooker, but for scrapping, gotta be Bungys mate in the front row, Tony Disken. Ned was a great ball player from dummy half, if he had more pace would have been awesome in that position.

4 hours ago, DewsburyRams4ever said:

1. Richard Chapman

2. Jimmy Elston 

3. Wayne Collins

Others; Glen Coughlan, Wayne Godwin, Kane Bentley, Richard Pachniuk, Kurt Rudder, Andrew Lippiatt, David O'Donnell 

Adam O'Brien (on loan from Bradford)

Richard Pachniuk 

was best hooker in nfp for 5 years with Hunslet and dewsbury and Wayne Collins gets in over him ???‍♂️

43 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Richard Pachniuk 

was best hooker in nfp for 5 years with Hunslet and dewsbury and Wayne Collins gets in over him ???‍♂️

Didn’t Collins make over 100 NRL appearances and also play for the Rhinos?

1 hour ago, MrBungle said:

. Ned was a great ball player from dummy half, if he had more pace would have been awesome in that position.

That he would...

9 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Oddly enough, as an actual hooker, Mick Stephenson was reputed to be quite average, winning less ball than most. It was his skills in the loose that made him stand out.

I agree, but what skills. He was considered the best hooker in the world during his peak, and was his transfer a world record at the time?

9 minutes ago, distantdog said:

I agree, but what skills. He was considered the best hooker in the world during his peak, and was his transfer a world record at the time?

It was, and the money was wisely used - Steve Brunyee, Ben Fowler and Terry Biscombe. Legends in their own lunch break. ??

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

26 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Yes he did but how many times did he play for us? I reckon you can count on one hand.

One finger even?

Mick Stephenson.......... head & shoulders above anyone else.........massive work rate, leader,  AND an 80 minute player

Ray Price .......... not mentioned (yet) by anyone else but I always admired his play & commitment

Richard Chapman ...... a more 'modern day' favourite, grafter and hard as nails.... With more than his fair share of tries 

1 hour ago, graham fisher said:

Yes he did but how many times did he play for us? I reckon you can count on one hand.

Sid Domic only played a few games for us then got injured, yet he was absolute class. The same goes for Wayne Collins but hey that's only my opinion!

44 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

Mick Stephenson.......... head & shoulders above anyone else.........massive work rate, leader,  AND an 80 minute player

Ray Price .......... not mentioned (yet) by anyone else but I always admired his play & commitment

Richard Chapman ...... a more 'modern day' favourite, grafter and hard as nails.... With more than his fair share of tries 

If you had left Ray Price off the list his wife would have had something to say about it.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

This one is really difficult because the hookers role has changed so much ..... for me the best hooker ( ball winner by a mile ) was Peter Mullins .... then of course Mick Stephenson was the cross over .. not the best ball winner ..but great in the loose .. would still have been a great in todays game!  Struggling with my 3rd choice!!   .... but for try scoring and craft Sam Day must be worth a mention!!  ..... I always thought Finny played more like a hooker than a half back!!  ...Ray Price was pretty good as was Roy Firth as was Ned .. Godwin was past his best when we had him ...... anyway need to think about No 3

so..

1. Mick Stephenson

2. Peter Mullins

3. ???? ... watch this space!

Archived