Greatest Dewsbury Players - top three hookers

Wakefield Ram

12 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

This one is really difficult because the hookers role has changed so much ..... for me the best hooker ( ball winner by a mile ) was Peter Mullins .... then of course Mick Stephenson was the cross over .. not the best ball winner ..but great in the loose .. would still have been a great in todays game!  Struggling with my 3rd choice!!   .... but for try scoring and craft Sam Day must be worth a mention!!  ..... I always thought Finny played more like a hooker than a half back!!  ...Ray Price was pretty good as was Roy Firth as was Ned .. Godwin was past his best when we had him ...... anyway need to think about No 3

so..

1. Mick Stephenson

2. Peter Mullins

3. ???? ... watch this space!

Oh for the days when good hookers had dislocatable shoulders to facilitate the use of the loose arm - or maybe not.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Can’t remember the days when hookers had to hook but I’m pretty sure Stevo is number one.  However I’ve no real memories of seeing him play so I’m going;

1.  Ned

2. Chappy 

3; Paul Delaney

richard Pachniuk was a great player and should be in there, but my main memories of him are when he played against us....and took us apart time after time so I’m not choosing him.  
Adam O’ Brien was pretty solid when we had him but was dual reg really so I’ve not chosen him either. Always enjoyed watching the crazy guy who ended up at Batley.  Can’t remember his name though. Liked a fight from memory.  Honourable mentions for Mark Haigh and Ian Bates too.  Both solid players 

15 hours ago, Therein73 said:

You've lost me BSJ ?? ??

The posh folk who used to sit in the old stand at Crown Flatt will remember Mrs Price - lovely lass but a voice like a foghorn who used to sit at the back of the stand offering "encouragement" throughout. It makes me wince just remembering it.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

it has to be:

1. Stivvie

2. Ned

3. Chappy

Honorable mentions to Pricey, Jimmy Elston and Pachniuk.

Nobody has mentioned George Flanagan - wonder why

(It's also worth thinking of the ones who got away - David Ward and John Dalgreen, who both lived virtually across the road from Crown Flatt. Maybe a new thread for you WR - Dewsbury lads who never played for Dewsbury.)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

14 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

it has to be:

1. Stivvie

2. Ned

3. Chappy

Honorable mentions to Pricey, Jimmy Elston and Pachniuk.

Nobody has mentioned George Flanagan - wonder why

(It's also worth thinking of the ones who got away - David Ward and John Dalgreen, who both lived virtually across the road from Crown Flatt. Maybe a new thread for you WR - Dewsbury lads who never played for Dewsbury.)

George Flanagan.  That’s him.  Thanks BSJ.   Always enjoyable to see him on the pitch.  He did go to Batley didn’t he?

1 hour ago, NickD said:

George Flanagan.  That’s him.  Thanks BSJ.   Always enjoyable to see him on the pitch.  He did go to Batley didn’t he?

Batley, Hunslet, now Bradford.

1. Mick Stephenson

2. Richard Chapman

3. Neil Kelly

Wayne Collins was class but only played a few games as was Wayne Godwin. Ryan Wright was very good too. Remember Ray Price a good all round player. Tony Roberts came from Ossett Trinity via Wigan and always played with his sleeves rolled up.

Wayne Collins only played eight times for us so can hardly be considered in the same way.

2 minutes ago, distantdog said:

Amongst others, and not necessarily in that order. 

In that order after he left us, which is what the comment was about.

?

Another good hooker we seem to have missed is Leigh born Kevin Ashcroft.

We transferred him to his home town club for £500 because neither club believed in large transfer fees. 

Leigh sold him to Warrington for about ten times that amount!

Legs, Dews, Legs.

4 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Another good hooker we seem to have missed is Leigh born Kevin Ashcroft.

We transferred him to his home town club for £500 because neither club believed in large transfer fees. 

Leigh sold him to Warrington for about ten times that amount!

"The Last of the Dinosaurs" accoding to his biography by Maurice Bamford.

Archived