Should I play rugby?

CRT

Hey! 

I'm 18, going to be going into my second year at university this year and was thinking of joining a sports club as I didn't this year and felt left out from all socials and other club events.

I do know how to play the game however I only have experience playing it from high school so i'm nervous about being a beginner.

I haven't got the right build for a rugby player as my main sport is distance running therefore I'm tall and lanky.

So? Am I being a wimp and should I join the club? 

Or should I just not bother because of my build and lack of short burst energy?

Also i'm new to these forums so hi!

It doesn't matter how good or big you think you are, if you want to play then give it a go. As a distance runner you will have stamina. You're only young once, follow your heart not your head. 

1 hour ago, CRT said:

Hey! 

I'm 18, going to be going into my second year at university this year and was thinking of joining a sports club as I didn't this year and felt left out from all socials and other club events.

I do know how to play the game however I only have experience playing it from high school so i'm nervous about being a beginner.

I haven't got the right build for a rugby player as my main sport is distance running therefore I'm tall and lanky.

Go for it mate, you'll meet friends for life and get a sense of belonging to a group who you'll do anything for on that pitch. It's an incredibly rewarding game!! 

As for not having the build, I'm sure Rob Burrows didn't, and he did OK out of it!!! Good luck!! 

2 hours ago, CRT said:

Would that perhaps make you more suited for rugby union? One of the chaps that does the line-outs, maybe?

Good luck with whatever you choose to play.

2 hours ago, CRT said:

Hey! 

Welcome to the forum CRT.

Absolutely, go for it. You don't want to live with regrets. I regret not making more of university sport when i went.

As for build, I've always found this is secondary to heart - if you've got determination and willing, this counts for more.

And also, university rugby has a wide range of ability levels so you'll be fine on that front. Good luck, and enjoy!

2 hours ago, CRT said:

Hey! 

Go for it mate, be keen and willing to listen and learn and they’ll look after you. 

what uni are you at?

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, it's quite inspiring think I will give it ago!

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

Wouldn't joining the university's athletics club make more sense?

In reply to the above, I tired the athletic club this year, and it wasn't the competitive club that I'd have liked it to be. However I am trying to run for president of the athletics next year to change that around. If that goes to pot I will definatly give rugby a try!

5 hours ago, CRT said:

Hey! 

Go for it mate, if you don't "try" you'll never know. The beauty of rugby league is no matter what body shape you are there'll be a role on the field for you. Plus it's great fun and there's the social aspect as well. Good luck. 

Short answer - yes.

Playing any amateur sport is for fun, first and foremost.  Yes, there are other benefits too, as others have already mentioned - keeping up fitness levels and the camaraderie being but two.  But, above all else, just enjoy it!

Size and build doesn't matter, but if, as you say, you are tall and lanky, you might want to play at wing or full back, in that a key element of their role is catching sixth tackle kicks, whether defensively or in attack, and nowadays very often high above the head, rather in the manner of Aussie Rules footballers making a mark.  It sounds as though you could be well suited physically to that.

7 hours ago, CRT said:

Hey! 

I would thoroughly recommend that you join your Uni RL team. I did so thirty odd years ago at Lancaster and can honestly say it was the best decision I made whilst being a student. I still have happy memories of those days and made friends from all backgrounds and various nationalities. I played for several clubs after Uni and nothing came close to the camaraderie of Student RL. 

Don't worry too much about your size/height. RL players at that level come in all shapes and sizes. You've got an advantage in that you know how to play the game plus you will be a lot fitter than the average player with your athletic background.

Maybe your Uni has a second team you could play for and if so you can ease yourself into the game that way.

Go for it.....you won't regret it. 

And welcome to the forum 

11 hours ago, CRT said:

Hey! 

I was similar to you, not built for RL, but after being a lifelong fan, signed up to my local club at age 20.  I enjoyed my role as a bench/fringe starting line up player, less pressure, less is expected and in general I enjoyed it a lot.  I am sure you can find teams of lower standards.

Ability should not even be a factor when someone is weighing up playing or not, unless they have ambitions to be a pro.

The fact you are asking the question suggests that if you don't try it you might spend the rest of your life regretting it.

If you're worried about being a beginner, just be honest with your team mates, I do find Rugby players are more supportive of other players than some other sports, or maybe that's just my experience.

Archived