Sphinx of the Naxians. 560bc.

I've been painting this Sphinx which was erected in the Sanctuary of Apollo near the Delphi Oracle. (Come on now....we've all considered doing just the same as some point).

Cant find any guide to colouration so I've just gone with the flow. Thing is she's turning out to be a Warrington fan! Is the Olympian God Apollo, speaking through the Pythian Priestess of the Delphic Oracle, sending me a message. Is Apollo a Wire?What if the local Tigers smell Wolves on me? If it's not one thing it's another! Bah!

20200424_205813.jpg

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

43 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

I've been painting this Sphinx which was erected in the Sanctuary of Apollo near the Delphi Oracle. (Come on now....we've all considered doing just the same as some point).

Cant find any guide to colouration so I've just gone with the flow. Thing is she's turning out to be a Warrington fan! Is the Olympian God Apollo, speaking through the Pythian Priestess of the Delphic Oracle, sending me a message. Is Apollo a Wire?What if the local Tigers smell Wolves on me? If it's not one thing it's another! Bah!

20200424_205813.jpg

Blimey! Hope you didn`t liberate that Lord Elgin-style. I have a copy of Robert Graves` "Greek Myths" in which there`s a picture of the Sphinx in the National Archaeological Museum in Athens. Are they meant to be coloured?

In the Aussie RL context, if you include the plinth, you have the 2001 NRL grand final, Knights v Eels. Newcastle finished on top. Is it too late to reverse the colour scheme?

Read Greek Myths years ago, fantastic read. On my list for the Kindle.

Yeah, these statues were painted and brightly coloured according to the people who study these things.

I should be able to paint over but Can I be bothered? A Black and Amber Sphinx might look daft. Besides, don't want to annoy Apollo, he can be a right nutter.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

If 560 BC, brought more heartache, there`s always another year, 561 BC.

559BC surely ? ?

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

27 minutes ago, BJW said:

559BC surely ? ?

18 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

I suspect 17st Giant is being mischievous. 

I`m more of a 10st weakling than a 17st Giant, but I was being mischievous.

BTW, I don`t get the "Black and Amber" reference. Maybe there`s a confusion between Parramatta and Wests/Balmain. Or perhaps there`s no NRL interest in Ancient Greece? With all that Art and Philosophy you`d think it would resonate.

Warning - You might have someone post an Apollo Perelini gag before long.

That's Great, Olympian God or an RL Prop on my case. Black and Amber are the traditional colours of Castleford. May have to offer a noble libation to Athena or someone to even things up. Fortuitously we have a bottle of Retsina in the fridge.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

Painting a gem of the ancient world in rugby league club colours?  Oh dear, sphinx ain't what they used to be!

I'll get my hat and coat, and leave....oh hang on, I'll, stay in after all...

I believe that there is evidence from the fossilised remains of these creatures, that they may have been covered in downy feathers. Often brightly coloured, which experts hypothesise may have been used in mating. 

similarly coloured individuals would be attracted to like colours... for example amber and black creatures would have the need to mate with other amber and black creatures imprinted on their DNA. There were, experts say; a red and white hooped, a marked red V and Blue with a bright golden breast

science is beautiful 

9 hours ago, BJW said:

559BC surely ? ?

9 hours ago, corvusxiii said:

I suspect 17st Giant is being mischievous. 

On reflection, the 561 BC date is scientifically sound. Not mischievous at all. Not on your time-travelling Nelly. If the Wire reached 560 BC, clearly 559 BC was not their year. So why turn round, just keep going.

Got the Cas riddle now. As an NRL fan I was interpreting beyond West Yorkshire.

Final thought. When the definitive history of clickbait comes to be written, "Sphinx of the Naxians. 560bc" on a Rugby League forum deserves a chapter of its own.

13 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

On reflection, the 561 BC date is scientifically sound. Not mischievous at all. Not on your time-travelling Nelly. If the Wire reached 560 BC, clearly 559 BC was not their year. So why turn round, just keep going.

Got the Cas riddle now. As an NRL fan I was interpreting beyond West Yorkshire.

Final thought. When the definitive history of clickbait comes to be written, "Sphinx of the Naxians. 560bc" on a Rugby League forum deserves a chapter of its own.

Must have an odd mirror as 561BC preceded 560BC so they would have already known if 561BC wasn't their year ! Do remember years BC count down to 1BC then start rising from 1AD onwards. ?

On 26/04/2020 at 13:57, BJW said:

Must have an odd mirror as 561BC preceded 560BC so they would have already known if 561BC wasn't their year ! Do remember years BC count down to 1BC then start rising from 1AD onwards. ?

Can`t believe I`m doing this but, if they were time-travelling backwards from now they would reach 559 BC before 560 BC. You could accuse me of being too clever by three-quarters, but the chronology is reliable.

According to Focus Groups, if you`re explaining you`re losing, so maybe I should have just left you to it.

But as they we're travelling forward then . . . . 

Unless you want me to believe you're going to take them backwards to a time they've already experienced so they already know 561BC wasn't their year !  (Unless you also propose a mindwipe to erase memories ?)

As for time travel, depends on method used as seems to differ between arriving at a specific date or travelling in a linear method. After all, Doctor Who goes to specific dates whilst the Time Traveller passes along a line.

BTW, if you believe everything focus groups say then I suggest you ask Dominic Cummings for guidance.

On 28/04/2020 at 14:39, BJW said:

But as they we're travelling forward then . . . . 

Unless you want me to believe you're going to take them backwards to a time they've already experienced so they already know 561BC wasn't their year !  (Unless you also propose a mindwipe to erase memories ?)

As for time travel, depends on method used as seems to differ between arriving at a specific date or travelling in a linear method. After all, Doctor Who goes to specific dates whilst the Time Traveller passes along a line.

BTW, if you believe everything focus groups say then I suggest you ask Dominic Cummings for guidance.

My assumption, based on 17st Giant`s post, was that since they have repeatedly failed to win a SL title travelling in real time, they might as well travel backwards to 560 BC, from now, in search of success. The flaw in this theory, if you had spotted it, is that they would have passed through their 55,54,48 championship years. I was aware of this, but it was a brief facetious response to a brief facetious post, not a dissertation on the twin themes of RL time travel and Ancient Greece. I`m saving that for my version of The Odyssey. Your expertise in chronological matters could be helpful, on a strictly don`t call us we`ll call you basis.

9 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

My assumption, based on 17st Giant`s post, was that since they have repeatedly failed to win a SL title travelling in real time, they might as well travel backwards to 560 BC, from now, in search of success. The flaw in this theory, if you had spotted it, is that they would have passed through their 55,54,48 championship years. I was aware of this, but it was a brief facetious response to a brief facetious post, not a dissertation on the twin themes of RL time travel and Ancient Greece. I`m saving that for my version of The Odyssey. Your expertise in chronological matters could be helpful, on a strictly don`t call us we`ll call you basis.

More than happy for you to call me, just use the number 999 and ask for Mr Ambulance or 0871 976 2839 and tell them you'd like a nice time. ?

21 hours ago, BJW said:

More than happy for you to call me, just use the number 999 and ask for Mr Ambulance or 0871 976 2839 and tell them you'd like a nice time. ?

Although it won`t fulfil all her ambitions, don`t let your wife see your first piece of advice.

Had to look up the other number. Your familiarity with it explains your aforementioned expertise. How long do you spend on there?

10 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Although it won`t fulfil all her ambitions, don`t let your wife see your first piece of advice.

Had to look up the other number. Your familiarity with it explains your aforementioned expertise. How long do you spend on there?

As she is trained in psychology she's used to dealing with those who exhibit delusions of adequacy so will only charge mates rates for dealing with your complex.

Being in possession of a watch and knowing how to read the time, I have no use for the second number but happy to pass it on to enlighten one less fortunate.

I think the Warrington board are due for some criticism here. Just yards away from the Wirery Sphinx is the most famous Oracle in the classical world. All they had to do is ask when it was their year. It's not like they haven't had time!

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

15 hours ago, corvusxiii said:

I think the Warrington board are due for some criticism here. Just yards away from the Wirery Sphinx is the most famous Oracle in the classical world. All they had to do is ask when it was their year. It's not like they haven't had time!

What a marathon of a week it`s been. And as you say Warrington have much to answer for.

The picture I cited before, of the Sphinx in the Athens Museum, is actually a relief, where the wings are different and the Sphinx is in communication with Oedipus. There`s another picture in "Greek Myths" of a statue from the Museum at Delphi which is much more recognisably your old girl. When perplexed in earlier exchanges, I was tempted to take on the guise of Oedipus, but refrained lest it invite ribald insinuations, particularly from my new friend for life, BJW.

18 hours ago, BJW said:

As she is trained in psychology she's used to dealing with those who exhibit delusions of adequacy so will only charge mates rates for dealing with your complex.

Being in possession of a watch and knowing how to read the time, I have no use for the second number but happy to pass it on to enlighten one less fortunate.

By your own account Mrs BJW sounds like an excellent judge of character. Add the psychology training, and it`s good to know you`re in safe hands.

This entertaining repartee can`t go on forever, so I`m retiring gracefully with immediate effect. Earlier you were like a moth to the wrong end of the stick, so if you desire a Parthian shot, it can be a free hit, fire away, I`ll bite the bullet.

Besides, I have lots to do. Following your remedial guidance, I`m trying to work out some BC numbers all on my own. Now, did 999 BC come before or after 998 BC? or vice versa? Oh! my head`s spinning. Hope Mr Ambulance brings some paracetamol.

Enjoy your mental exertions. However, if your head is spinning like in The Exorcist, I fear even Mr Ambulance will be unable to help.

I've been to the Delphi Museum twice and been drawn more towards the Omphalos, the Belly Button of the World. And speaking frankly, if the Wirery Sphinx is going to cavort about the place in Primrose and Blue then it seems fair enough!

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

7 hours ago, corvusxiii said:

I've been to the Delphi Museum twice and been drawn more towards the Omphalos, the Belly Button of the World. And speaking frankly, if the Wirery Sphinx is going to cavort about the place in Primrose and Blue then it seems fair enough!

I`m still to find an image of a coloured Greek Sphinx to help with any suggestions. However, I have seen pictures of an extraordinary full-size reproduction of the Great Egyptian Sphinx, with restorative nose-job, in a Chinese theme park, and that is primrose and blue.

BTW, what kind of lout deprives a Sphinx of its hooter? Same kind of riff-raff who walked off with bits of Stonehenge. Nowadays they take traffic cones.

Archived