Sphinx of the Naxians. 560bc.

No, I couldn't find anything either though there are reconstructions out there, just not for Mrs Sphinx.

She still ended up with a Warrington feel to her despite some misgivings but i don't want to annoy Apollo in case he ever comes to Castleford looking for me. He might turn me into a Pie Eater! Tragedy!

20200503_094706.jpg

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

On 03/05/2020 at 09:59, corvusxiii said:

No, I couldn't find anything either though there are reconstructions out there, just not for Mrs Sphinx.

She still ended up with a Warrington feel to her despite some misgivings but i don't want to annoy Apollo in case he ever comes to Castleford looking for me. He might turn me into a Pie Eater! Tragedy!

20200503_094706.jpg

An appropriately Delphic aspect of this thread throughout is why, when you see a combination of roughly blue and yellow, you fix exclusively on Warrington rather than L###s. Are the latter unmentionable in your neck of the woods? Is the vengeance of Apollo not all you fear? Would the fate of Marsyas await?

I do struggle with the City of Loins from upstream and at one point Mrs Sphinx was going a bit Headingley. Terrifying! So I'm happy enough with Wirery colours all things considered. As for those locals who strut about in those shades of Hades then Marsias can have some mates to accompany him. (I'm very nearly not sure if I'm joking or not).

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

17 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

An appropriately Delphic aspect of this thread throughout is why, when you see a combination of roughly blue and yellow, you fix exclusively on Warrington rather than L###s. 

Well, if you're dealing with something whose glory years were in the distant past?

(Presumably Warrington have something planned to mark the 65th anniversary next week?)

On 03/05/2020 at 09:59, corvusxiii said:

20200503_094706.jpg

18 hours ago, JonM said:

Well, if you're dealing with something whose glory years were in the distant past?

(Presumably Warrington have something planned to mark the 65th anniversary next week?)

The glory years, at least for the Sphinx, are no longer in the distant past, courtesy of this thread.

I will defer to other aesthetes for a more comprehensive verdict, but I`m impressed with the finished product. The right eye`s a bit Marty Feldman, but it adds to the mystery. Keen on the gold front (Chestplate?), and there`s the hint of a chevron in the silver below it, very RL. In this picture the plinth looks like a cake, baked by an oompa-loompa.

BTW, is that a parrot under whose beady stare I write? Thought Corvus related to rooks and ravens.

Ernie Parrot is often lurking about, straying offside and interfering in the tackle etc but cant see him in the photo.

The capital is garish but this is a reoccurring theme in Greek colour reconstructions. I've got over the shock and quite like it now. A bit like Dragons and Wolfpacks.

Unfortunately Mrs Sphinx is undeniably Boss-Eyed. With such a wide angle of vision she would make a useful referee.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

Archived