I have more time on my hands to try new recipes at the moment, so I'm trying things that are teen-friendly but interesting.

I don't usually eat meat but I was really tempted by Madhur Jaffrey's tandoori chicken, so I marinated that last night and am about to throw it into a very hot oven.

What are all my TRL mates cooking under lockdown? Trying new things?

19 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I'm taking the opportunity to make different types of bread.... and improve my baking skills....

Sour dough rocks

We were given a sourdough starter recently. The Mrs has made a few loaves quite successfully from it, but the last one looks like a calzone. God knows how best to attempt slicing it. ????

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

We nearly always cook from scratch every evening, often this means we nip out and buy what we need for what we fancy.

Shopping is now, keep it to a minimum, buy what is available (no overbuying), we then have produce listed by date and create what we can from what we have. 

It has really made us use more of what we have in and be more creative.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Easy stuff to cook: chicken with a hummus topping. For each chicken breast, add some oil and season with salt & pepper. Then evenly spread a tablespoon of red pepper hummus on top. Sprinkle with some smoked paprika and a few drops of lemon juice (or some lemon zest) and bake 'til cooked through,
Tasty when hot, but if you make extras, also good in a sandwich when cold the day after.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Crispy chilli turkey noodles has become a favourite in the MoK household during lockdown. Simple to make (the hardest thing was finding the sriracha sauce in the supermarket) and very tasty. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/crispy-chilli-turkey-noodles

Don’t bother with the carrots and spring onions, just chop a normal onion and toss it in. Adding a few peas, beans or another green veg isn’t a bad idea either. 

We get a lockdown box because of shielding Mrs Ginger. This means that when this is over the foodbank is going to be getting gallons of UHT milk but one of the things we got was a tin of corned beef and *so many* potatoes.

Anyway, as I'm sure everyone else already knew, it turns out that corned beef hash is simple and delicious.

So that, and discovering that I actually really enjoy cooking in a way that I hadn't realised before, is a positive from this ridiculous time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

We get a lockdown box because of shielding Mrs Ginger. This means that when this is over the foodbank is going to be getting gallons of UHT milk but one of the things we got was a tin of corned beef and *so many* potatoes.

Anyway, as I'm sure everyone else already knew, it turns out that corned beef hash is simple and delicious.

So that, and discovering that I actually really enjoy cooking in a way that I hadn't realised before, is a positive from this ridiculous time.

Just had my first proper cup of tea because I have just found a box of UHT Hastings Foodbank Milk, that has been sitting under my sink since before Christmas. 

31 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

We weren't flush with cash when I was growing up. My mum could make a meal out of nowt and make it look and taste amazing. She oft used the coal oven to keep the gas bills down.

Out of this came my love of cooking and my love of cheaper cuts.

I love shin beef, belly or shoulder of pork etc and I adore offal. Liver n onions are fab.

Today I can and have done poncey.  I will have a go at anything. But I still love those old teas me mam used to cook.

Corned beef hash.... BOOM!! Love it.?

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

We weren't flush with cash when I was growing up. My mum could make a meal out of nowt and make it look and taste amazing. She oft used the coal oven to keep the gas bills down.

I love shin beef, belly or shoulder of pork etc and I adore offal. Liver n onions are fab.

Today I can and have done poncey.  I will have a go at anything. But I still love those old teas me mam used to cook.

When I was growing up my Mum was a rubbish cook, many top chefs cite their Mothers as an inspiration for their cooking, mine was for the wrong reasons. She only had a repertoire of about 10 dishes. Most of them involved chips or mash.

When I found a cookbook in Menzies (remember them?), I was the first to introduce Garlic into the house for Normandy Chicken (chicken with cider & apples & cream). My Dad thought I was nuts, but he still left a clean plate. After that she got a bit more adventurous,  & used the book a bit more. Although Monday was still ALWAYS corned beef Hash night.

I was also the first to cook rice.

My Gran had a two ring Baby Belling cooker, and was a much better cook.

39 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

We were firmly in the too poor to paint, too proud to whitewash category. And my mum is an awful cook. My memory of liver and onions is of solid brown lumps in an indistinct gloop with things that may have been potatoes near by.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I have loads of cook books on the kindle but have never looked at any of them.  I am still working and not at home through the dayso cooking is out for me.   Other half, who is working from home sorts the food out but doesn't use recipes as we are still eating what we did before.

Our "cooking" is usually just slow cooked chilli, curry, stew or chicken/pork etc in the oven.

56 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Just had my first proper cup of tea because I have just found a box of UHT Hastings Foodbank Milk, that has been sitting under my sink since before Christmas. 

PM your address, if I get chance, I'll stick one of the spare UHT ones on your doorstep. It won't be till Tuesday but let me know.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

A dish from my youth... mum just throwing it together in 10 mins after work, letting it soften for a while then eat. That takes me back... might have to make some, just because.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

From the simple working class stuff of corned beef hash to the strawberry gazpacho I made on Friday. Beyond lovely.

Last week I did a French onion soup, useful for building patience as the final taste always comes down to how patient you are.

The wife's getting bored around the house so has been cooking far more than normal, Wednesday I had biryani, Thursday was tandoori pork, Friday a combination of the two as leftovers (that was better than the individual meals!).

We're just not getting takeaways in at all.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

We've not had a takeaway since the lockdown began. We've probably saved a small fortune. It's also made me realise that many of them just aren't that good anyway and it's often just a habit and convenience thing.

Because Little Ginger is Little Ginger (autistic with some very specific tastes) we've done a Pizza Hut delivery a couple of times. But that's the only one - and it is a huge faff because of the shielding thing and involves wiping boxes down and the like.

The one thing I will say is that our 'food waste' has vanished. 

Archived