Last night was homemade turkey burgers & wedges. Tonight it is homemade chicken bhuna. 

Both are meals that we would have on a fairly regular basis but ensuring that the ingredients are to hand has taken a bit more planning. 

4 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Chaana dal with Tarka, with home baked naan, is on the books for next week, as I have about 3/4 of a ton of dal in the cupboard. Again, bbc food website shall provide.

Aye.... for some reason I've got about 3cwt daal in the pantry.... lord knows how or why....

I may do some with the Rogan.... I'm doing parathas....

Frank zappa vibes on.

Justxa normal non-rugby sunday.... 

Mentions of corned beef hash earlier - I made some last weekend. Very very comforting and filling. See also Jansson's Temptation, a rich potato and onion dish with a lot of cream in it and little depth-charges of salty fish (should be sprats, but anchovies work as a substitute).

Today, I will be doing a slow-roast joint of beef, with marrowfat peas and a potato salad with horseradish and parsley stirred in.

Yesterday was ribs, cooked in my gradually-evolving mix of flavourings. The basics involve salt, pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, chipotle chilli flakes, balsamic vinegar and smoked garlic. Currently, I have a jar of black garlic ketchup, which really adds an amazing flavour to the cooking sauce. The BBQ sauce to finish it under the grill is the standard ratio of 2 parts tomato ketchup, 2 parts honey, 1 part savoury (Worcester sauce, Henderson's Relish or soy sauce, depending on what's available).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Mentions of corned beef hash earlier - I made some last weekend. Very very comforting and filling. See also Jansson's Temptation, a rich potato and onion dish with a lot of cream in it and little depth-charges of salty fish (should be sprats, but anchovies work as a substitute).

Today, I will be doing a slow-roast joint of beef, with marrowfat peas and a potato salad with horseradish and parsley stirred in.

Yesterday was ribs, cooked in my gradually-evolving mix of flavourings. The basics involve salt, pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, chipotle chilli flakes, balsamic vinegar and smoked garlic. Currently, I have a jar of black garlic ketchup, which really adds an amazing flavour to the cooking sauce. The BBQ sauce to finish it under the grill is the standard ratio of 2 parts tomato ketchup, 2 parts honey, 1 part savoury (Worcester sauce, Henderson's Relish or soy sauce, depending on what's available).

Hendos everytime....

A dee dars choice of course, but I'm not holding that against the producers...?

Just now, Robin Evans said:

Hendos everytime....

A dee dars choice of course, but I'm not holding that against the producers...?

Very oniony, but nice. Also vegetarian/vegan-friendly, if you have friends with exclusion diets. You can get Hendo's flavoured crisps, which are ace.

Soy sauce really darkens the flavour of ribs, while Lea & Perrins adds that hit of anchovy. I like to use a different one each time, just for the hell of it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Started looking at my jamie oliver book ive had for 2 years. Diet will be changing as I want to lose some poundage for when pubs eventually reopen ☺

There is plenty to dislike about Jamie Oliver, but the recipes of his that I've tried have usually come out very well. There's some sound culinary knowledge behind that unpleasantly blokey geezer persona.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Looking forward to a nice Sunday roast + all the trimmings shortly. ?

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Frying pan pizza tonight, a great way to make pizza. Dough has been proving in the fridge for two days.  Wouldn’t bother with a pizza stone again. 

For the curry lovers out there I’d recommend the Spicery’s curry legends books they come with three spice mixes and make everything from traditional takeaway curry’s to the more exotic. Just got their veggie book and the mushroom keema is the best meat free curry I’ve ever had.

10 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Jerk Chicken & rice & peas last night. Might try OP MJ's Tandoori tonight, as I have her cook book.

It was delicious but doesn't need as much yoghurt in the marinade as she suggests.

I served it with a side salad, home-made coleslaw and garlic naan. 

9 hours ago, gingerjon said:

We get a lockdown box because of shielding Mrs Ginger. This means that when this is over the foodbank is going to be getting gallons of UHT milk but one of the things we got was a tin of corned beef and *so many* potatoes.

Anyway, as I'm sure everyone else already knew, it turns out that corned beef hash is simple and delicious.

So that, and discovering that I actually really enjoy cooking in a way that I hadn't realised before, is a positive from this ridiculous time.

With chips or with Salad? #phoenixnights

Archived