Dewsbury born players

grumpyoldram

Sorry BSJ, but I couldn't resist hijacking your suggestion about Dewsbury players who didn't play for their home town. After some thought, I came up with a team that would more than hold it's own in SL. Had some trouble thinking of a stand off, but Redfearn was an international. Not sure if Bob Haigh didn't play a couple of games for us. Ran out of room for two of the Burgess brothers, and Arnie Long.  Can anybody improve on this squad ? 

1. Arthur Keegan - Hull

2. Dave Smith - Leeds

3. John Maloney - Hull

4. John Bentley - Leeds

5. Dave Redfearn - Bradford

6. Alan Redfearn - Bradford

7 Derryk Fox - Featherstone

8. George Burgess - Wigan

9. David Ward - Leeds

10. Alex Walmsley - Saints

11. Sam Burgess - Rabitohs

12. Bob Haigh - Leeds

13. Tony Halmshaw - Halifax

Subs

14. Matt Diskin - Leeds

15. Luke Burgess - Rabitohs

16. Lee Gilmour - Wigan

19. Keith Mason - Huddersfield

20. Danny Ward

21. Johnny Campbell

Reckon that lot would give a good account of themselves. power and real pace.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

1 hour ago, grumpyoldram said:

Sorry BSJ, but I couldn't resist hijacking your suggestion about Dewsbury players who didn't play for their home town. After some thought, I came up with a team that would more than hold it's own in SL. Had some trouble thinking of a stand off, but Redfearn was an international. Not sure if Bob Haigh didn't play a couple of games for us. Ran out of room for two of the Burgess brothers, and Arnie Long.  Can anybody improve on this squad ? 

1. Arthur Keegan - Hull

2. Dave Smith - Leeds

3. John Maloney - Hull

4. John Bentley - Leeds

9. David Ward - Leeds

12. Bob Haigh - Leeds

Subs

14. Matt Diskin - Leeds

16. Lee Gilmour - Wigan

20. Danny Ward

21. Johnny Campbell

Both Bob Haigh and Tony Halmshaw played for us, albeit it very briefly and at the back end of their respective careers. Good list though GoR and no need for apologies - Edison never apologised, after all.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 hours ago, MrBungle said:

Francis Cummins? Was big Roy Powell dewsbury or batley? If it was juniors growing up and playing for their local clubs only, the HW sides along with likes of Oldham would be top 6 Super League

Forgot about cummins.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

7 minutes ago, Reverend Ram said:

Wasn’t Darren Fleary a Dews lad, though he played for Moldgreen?

Think he was a Moldgreen lad who played for Dewsbury Rev.

George Bernard Shaw.

1 hour ago, graham fisher said:

As did John Maloney. 

Didn't realise that - swap him, Haigh, Halmshaw with cummins and the two spare Burgess' and it's still not a bad side.

George Bernard Shaw.

5 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Here’s another: John Dalgreen. 

I did refer to him in the original post that initiated this one - do keep up CF!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 27/04/2020 at 10:59, grumpyoldram said:

1. Arthur Keegan - Hull

2. Dave Smith - Leeds

3. John Maloney - Hull

4. John Bentley - Leeds

9. David Ward - Leeds

12. Bob Haigh - Leeds

Subs

14. Matt Diskin - Leeds

16. Lee Gilmour - Wigan

20. Danny Ward

21. Johnny Campbell

I'm still trying to come to terms with Johnny Campbell been mentioned before Francis Cummins lol

How about Andrew "Piggy" Parkinson, I'm sure his "Mate" knows he is a Dewsbury lad and would have loved to play for his home town. ?

It was only because a Mr Bamford messed him about that he went to Halifax!

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

4 hours ago, coolie said:

Didn't mark Westbury and Shaun Womersley play for us and they were Dewsbury lads

Correct both big lads who should have gone further. Mark played in the same Dewsbury Colts side as my brothers which also includes the aforementioned Andrew Parkinson.

They weren't a bad side but we're up against some great teams such as Hunslet Parkside (including Gary Schofield etc) and St John fishers the majority of whom were then signed by Dewsbury (Carl Gibson and Roy Powell didnt)

18 hours ago, coolie said:

Didn't mark Westbury and Shaun Womersley play for us and they were Dewsbury lads

Yes Coolie - this is about Dewsbury lads who didn't play for the club.

HTH

Archived