Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jamescolin

Way back= A walk off.

Recommended Posts

A lot of us have been thinking about the past and something came into my mind about a game where Eric Batten was the captain. I think we were playing Bradford in a cup game. The final whistle went and the scores were level. The referee wanted to play extra time but we wanted a replay at Featherstone. After an on the field argument Batten led his players off the field. I think we got a poor result from the final decision. As I said it was a long time ago but I well remember our team leaving the field in a situation that was controversial. My memory might have played a few tricks on me about the circumstances but I am sure that we left the field and it was the captain's decision not to play on . Anybody else remember it? Put me right on anything I have wrong but I am sure about the walk off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember that one Colin but I do remember Fev refusing to play Bradford in the last match of the 1978 season because of a pay strike. It caused all sorts of ramifications to the league placings. Fev lost their eighth place spot to the ninth club Warrington and so therefore missed a play off place. Bradford had their position near the top revised on percentages and caused controversy with St Helens I do believe.

Edited by J Phil Loxton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you look at the decisions where we have been involved we haven't had much go for us have we? In fact I can't remember us ever getting a verdict in our favour on a big issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jamescolin said:

A lot of us have been thinking about the past and something came into my mind about a game where Eric Batten was the captain. I think we were playing Bradford in a cup game. The final whistle went and the scores were level. The referee wanted to play extra time but we wanted a replay at Featherstone. After an on the field argument Batten led his players off the field. I think we got a poor result from the final decision. As I said it was a long time ago but I well remember our team leaving the field in a situation that was controversial. My memory might have played a few tricks on me about the circumstances but I am sure that we left the field and it was the captain's decision not to play on . Anybody else remember it? Put me right on anything I have wrong but I am sure about the walk off.

I've searched the records, Colin and can't come up with anything to match. Only three draws in Fev Challenge Cup matches - 2 against Halifax and even you aren't old enough to remember that as they were both in 1925. We got through after winning the 2nd replay. The other was 1971 against Hull, too late for Eric Batten. Eric Batten played in three drawn matches for Fev but they were all league matches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember as a young lad watching Rovers against Hunslet in the last match of the season

 Rovers well in front on a warm sunny evening and towards the end of the match a Hunslet, played in who was not injured, walked off and up the tunnel. He'd had enough. It was the mid 60's if I remember correctly.

Wonder what his penalty was?6

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jamescolin said:

A lot of us have been thinking about the past and something came into my mind about a game where Eric Batten was the captain. I think we were playing Bradford in a cup game. The final whistle went and the scores were level. The referee wanted to play extra time but we wanted a replay at Featherstone. After an on the field argument Batten led his players off the field. I think we got a poor result from the final decision. As I said it was a long time ago but I well remember our team leaving the field in a situation that was controversial. My memory might have played a few tricks on me about the circumstances but I am sure that we left the field and it was the captain's decision not to play on . Anybody else remember it? Put me right on anything I have wrong but I am sure about the walk off.

 

Yes Colin. You are right. But it wasn't a walk-off.

It was September 1951 and the Yorkshire Cup in those days was home and away just like European football.  We beat Bradford at home 4-2 on the Saturday. Then we went to Odsal on the Monday and lost 11-9. That made the aggregate score 13-13. The ref wanted to play extra time, but neither side wanted that. It went to a replay on the Wednesday at Halifax and we lost 9-17. Both clubs got a small fine I think for not listening to the ref.

I think a few fans developed the idea that the RFL 'had it in for us' thereafter because of what went on, but there's no evidence for that at all. A lot of fans get a bit paranoid about refs and officialdom in general, such is their passion for their club.

All credit to you Colin, that's some memory you've got. When are you going to write a book? ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!! You have some great stats Mark. Yes it comes back now. I was 17 in 1951. About a book , I have been asked quite a few times about one. I lived in a back to back house for a long time with my parents and saw the rough edge of life in the 30's and forties and fifties. During my lifetime I have been a miner, a railway clerk, a soldier and a banker. My background made me a good salesman. I worked on the idiom 'It's not what you want to sell it is what the customer wants to buy ' and amended the product accordingly. I could go on, thanks for the info and your response. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/04/2020 at 20:26, marklaspalmas said:

 

Yes Colin. You are right. But it wasn't a walk-off.

It was September 1951 and the Yorkshire Cup in those days was home and away just like European football.  We beat Bradford at home 4-2 on the Saturday. Then we went to Odsal on the Monday and lost 11-9. That made the aggregate score 13-13. The ref wanted to play extra time, but neither side wanted that. It went to a replay on the Wednesday at Halifax and we lost 9-17. Both clubs got a small fine I think for not listening to the ref.

I think a few fans developed the idea that the RFL 'had it in for us' thereafter because of what went on, but there's no evidence for that at all. A lot of fans get a bit paranoid about refs and officialdom in general, such is their passion for their club.

All credit to you Colin, that's some memory you've got. When are you going to write a book? ?

Well done, Mark! I was looking for draws and didn't think to look at two-legged ties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fevnut said:

Well done, Mark! I was looking for draws and didn't think to look at two-legged ties.

?

I think the reasoning behind Rovers (and Brdford's) refusal to continue was something to with what happened in a cup tie some years earlier (v Cas?? my memory is not like Colin's) when we played extra time but the game ended up lasting 117 minutes!! The lads probably though 'stuff that' and voted for a replay, although they really should've obeyed the ref.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been thinking about the past. Little to do so I threw the memory way back We are probably talking about 80 years. Does anybody else remember  as a kid running on at half time and having a kick about? The fencing in those days was just wooden squares with an opening under the top piece of wood so getting on the field was easy. Only the very young ones did it and dads used to shout encouragement. Happy days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should have been headed 'A WALK ON' for this bit I have just written. Although we used to run like billy ho to get to the ball first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/04/2020 at 14:59, J Phil Loxton said:

I don't remember that one Colin but I do remember Fev refusing to play Bradford in the last match of the 1978 season because of a pay strike. It caused all sorts of ramifications to the league placings. Fev lost their eighth place spot to the ninth club Warrington and so therefore missed a play off place. Bradford had their position near the top revised on percentages and caused controversy with St Helens I do believe.

Did it not deny Rovers a game v Bobby Fulton's touring Australians the following season? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...