Catalans and Toulouse told they can’t play at home until September (Merged threads)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DoubleD said:

Looks like them and Toronto will have to base themselves in UK now...........

Relegation is surely ruled out for this season now, under the circumstances

They’d need to be allowed to leave France and to enter the UK, which looks unlikely at either end. 

I love the blind optimism here. As if the UK exists in some sort of hermetically sealed bubble...

Don't you think that France are merely the first in a series of countries to decide that sport is NOT going to restart? 

How long before the UK follows?

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Maybe a base in Northern Spain if there are no such restrictions in place

Think the France/Spain border has been closed for a while now. 

5 minutes ago, muckymunksy said:

If the season starts they need to Play in UK or relegation I’m afraid.

If they is chance we can get it on we can’t  be ending season just for Catalan 

We’ll get into a rabbit hole here but how can you relegate a side based solely on location and not what’s happened on a field? 

34 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I love the blind optimism here. As if the UK exists in some sort of hermetically sealed bubble...

Don't you think that France are merely the first in a series of countries to decide that sport is NOT going to restart? 

He didn't ban all sporting activity "“It will not be possible, neither to practice sport in covered places, nor team or contact sports.”

He also said “we will have to live with the virus”...which perhaps suggests, in France at least, there will be gradual changes towards normality.

18 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

He didn't ban all sporting activity "“It will not be possible, neither to practice sport in covered places, nor team or contact sports.”

Last time I checked, Rugby League was a contact sport

47 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I know what you mean, but it would be a big u-turn for the UK government if it did ban pro sport until September. 

The sports minister is on record this week saying he wants prem league back as soon as possible, and other political briefings say the same. A lot of self imposed hurdles to clear, certainly not guarenteed, and the most optimistic dates like June 8 still seem impossible. 

But the aim, including govt, seem to be to try to get something going if at all possible, and govt isn't trying to douse that expectation. So I reckon there's a chance that SL at least might get going before September behind closed doors.

44 minutes ago, muckymunksy said:

If the season starts they need to Play in UK or relegation I’m afraid.

If they is chance we can get it on we can’t  be ending season just for Catalan 

That's a court case waiting to happen. Which is why it won't. 

Catalans will either rebase to UK, or sit out 2020 and resume in SL in 2021. Same for TO in Championship. 

It's different for Toronto becasue they are already based here. They can carry on playing but will have to accept there will be no games at Lamport in 2020.

7 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

The sports minister is on record this week saying he wants prem league back as soon as possible, and other political briefings say the same. A lot of self imposed hurdles to clear, certainly not guarenteed, and the most optimistic dates like June 8 still seem impossible

There's no doubt that the Premier League will be a huge driver here, and it's probably a big enough enterprise to be able to dictate (at least to some extent) what policy eventually emerges. You wouldn't imagine the French Football set up carries the same sway!

2 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

There's no doubt that the Premier League will be a huge driver here, and it's probably a big enough enterprise to be able to dictate (at least to some extent) what policy eventually emerges. You wouldn't imagine the French Football set up carries the same sway!

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

When the scientific evidence allows for it. 

The science will be almost irrelevant death rates/toll and government approval rating for opening up is what it'll be based on.

When I think what TGG has pulled through, survived and fought off it makes me sad to think it won't be there when this is at an end.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

They really are loopy ?

38 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

They  must be attempting to bankrupt Mr Gausch.He was struggling back in March after Leeds were not able to travel,and the game was postponed.

It will be a significant cost.

Don't think it will happen.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

When you take out the lure of money, and the understandable passion of the fans, and just consider the medical reality....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52462233

It's deja vu, but how's it any different than a return to open plan offices, commuting on trains/tube/planes, shopping in malls etc etc. Social distancing is incompatable in all these cases. If we're going to return to some form of normality, then we're going to have to accept some risk

Archived