Who is/was your clubs unnecessary signing?

Naturally been bored and thinking of transfers teams have made. 

Warrington struck me this year. It seemed, up till his injury, they were better with Ashton at Fullback and Ratchford in the halves. Widdop then pushed ratchford out of that position to FB and Warringtons attack nosedived. Perhaps it was Widdops marquee tag that means he has to play I suppose. There's also Dec Patton who never seems to get a look in.

So as RL fans, who do you think have been the unnecessary recruits? I'm not going to say wastes of money because that would be half a thread just about Sonny Bill and nobody in lockdown wants that, but if you want to post your biggest wastes of money that is of course fair enough too.

For Leeds we've had a few examples like Tom Briscoe whilst we had Ben Jones Bishop. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

For Leeds we've had a few examples like Tom Briscoe whilst we had Ben Jones Bishop. 

Tom Briscoe was BJB replacement though. Better example would be Corey Aston or Luke Briscoe (although I think Luke had a good start to this season)

5 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Tom Briscoe was BJB replacement though. Better example would be Corey Aston or Luke Briscoe (although I think Luke had a good start to this season)

Yeah I can see what you mean, I was more thinking why sign x for presumably more money whilst already have better at the club

In recent years and in two catagories.

Player - Glenn Stewart, a complete and utter waste of space.

Coach - Kieron Cunningham, ok his title was Director of Rugby but we the Leigh public know that his influence was prevalent in the team, it mirrored the way Saints played which got him sacked ftom there.

14 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

As an outsider, Leeds have been let down by some of their big name signings over the years but the one who must take the headline billing not only for the Leeds club but should in my opinion be classified as the worst signing ever in Rugby League, was the guy who came with the accolade of "The best rugby player on the planet" that was John Gallagher, I saw him live in two games and honestly I think I could have picked a kid from an under 15's who would have performed better and certainly would have been braver.

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

As an outsider, Leeds have been let down by some of their big name signings over the years but the one who must take the headline billing not only for the Leeds club but should in my opinion be classified as the worst signing ever in Rugby League, was the guy who came with the accolade of "The best rugby player on the planet" that was John Gallagher, I saw him live in two games and honestly I think I could have picked a kid from an under 15's who would have performed better and certainly would have been braver.

Must admit its a bit before my time but from a quick google I can see what you mean.

1 minute ago, Gooleboy said:

Did you ever see Sam Backo at Leeds? Another of their big name flops.

Again a bit before my time. I do think though that both examples sound typical of Leeds at the time, with more brass than sense.

Thank god for Graham Murray I say.

14 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Bit harsh for me about Tom Briscoe. Apart from a bad spell a couple of seasons ago he has performed consistently well for Leeds. As for Luke, a surprise when Leeds signed him, but it was for peanuts, he was as you say performing well this season and looking the part.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Again a bit before my time. I do think though that both examples sound typical of Leeds at the time, with more brass than sense.

Thank god for Graham Murray I say.

Lee Crooks, great player, but never settled at Leeds.

28 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Must admit its a bit before my time but from a quick google I can see what you mean.

Google couldn't even paint a picture of how bad he was, he did something I have never witnessed before or since on a RL field at any level in a game at Leigh v Leeds game, he was in his usual fullback position and Leigh put in an up'n under, he positioned hinself under the ball but realising there were opposition player's heading in his direction he took evasive action, he put his arms over his head turned his back and dropped down on his haunches, he wasn't displaying any confidence before that and that action finished him off, I don't know which Leeds player it was or what he said, but he ran over to Gallagher and gave him the 'hairdryer' treatment and quite rightly he just wasn't cut out for the RL. brand of rugby.

Archived