Who is/was your clubs unnecessary signing?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latu fifita, Scott Leatherbarrow, Jordan Tansey, Jamie Foster. Fifita was a total fraud was always injured and couldn't care less

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Beau Falloon is probably the worst player i've seen in a Leeds shirt, albeit it's difficult to say he was unnecessary as we needed a hooker at the time. Unfortunately, he was not the answer. I have no idea how he got any games at NRL

I'd forgotten about him, Parcell was the best player in the world by comparison!

Losing Paul Aiton was one of the major losses that went under the radar in 2015 due to the other 3. One of my favourite players at both Leeds and in opposition at Wakefield 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

All the names mentioned so far are fine players when compared with...Doc Murray.

True. See also Shem Tatupu, who signally failed to become the next Tuigamala.

Remember Greg Florimo? A fine player in his day. Then, quite a long time after his day, Wigan signed him and Mark Reber. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salford have a long history of signing awful players. many of them to replace Stu Littler. Every year Stu won the battle and remains a favourite with many fans.

The recent signing of Silverwood as a adviser is one of the worst. I am sure our pen count went up when he was at the club.

Aussies who became home sick (Hudson Smith) only to sign at Bradford.  Then the pointless signing of Paul Carriage and Mark Corvo.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Must admit its a bit before my time but from a quick google I can see what you mean.

I felt embarrassed for him.  I think he eventually started to do ok at London.  

When Willie Mason signed for Catalans he spoke a great game in his presentation sat alongside Guasch.  

We used to get a beer and watch the players warm up from the well of the Puig Aubert stand.  Willie came out in a shirt too small (he’d put some timber on) with a corset hanging out.  Why they didn’t have a shirt to fit him is beyond me. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything look so stupid and unprofessional in all my days.  

They moved straight into ladder drills and he tripped and fell over, jumped up grabbed a ball and booted it straight into the legends banners (Stacey Jones etc).  He actually looked as if he’d never played in his life.  Guasch must have though ‘wtf’ have we bought here.

17 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Yeah I can see what you mean, I was more thinking why sign x for presumably more money whilst already have better at the club

BJB has never been as good as Briscoe and whilst Tom developed a tendency to be somewhat unsafe under the bomb BJB has always been coming up with more than his fair share of blunders.

BJB, for a FB, was always very soft in the tackle too and never had much of a kick return.

Briscoe & BJB were in the same Leeds squad in 2014 and BJB only made the team to cover injuries. He was a genuine international too unlike BJB. So independently coaches favoured Briscoe.

Those small upgrades is what make good teams great teams.

18 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Naturally been bored and thinking of transfers teams have made. 

Warrington struck me this year. It seemed, up till his injury, they were better with Ashton at Fullback and Ratchford in the halves. Widdop then pushed ratchford out of that position to FB and Warringtons attack nosedived. Perhaps it was Widdops marquee tag that means he has to play I suppose. There's also Dec Patton who never seems to get a look in.

Dont want to be that guy, but i dont think this scenario actually fits with your question,

widdop was signed in january, england internation, nrl player, ashton was signed as project in august from the championship, no one could have predicted gaz's injury and matty taking to SL like a duck to water.

Now steve blakely, there was a signing that warrington didn't need, and was a waste of money.

4 hours ago, POR said:

At FEV mark aston complete waste of space

A bad signing as he didn't really want to come. Brought in to replace Brett Daunt which was a big mistake by the powers that were at the time. Daunt was only on a small contract and was very underrated, he was very well respected by the other players.

1 hour ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Dont want to be that guy, but i dont think this scenario actually fits with your question,

widdop was signed in january, england internation, nrl player, ashton was signed as project in august from the championship, no one could have predicted gaz's injury and matty taking to SL like a duck to water.

Now steve blakely, there was a signing that warrington didn't need, and was a waste of money.

No fair enough I just see what I think as an outsider! 

1 hour ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

BJB has never been as good as Briscoe and whilst Tom developed a tendency to be somewhat unsafe under the bomb BJB has always been coming up with more than his fair share of blunders.

BJB, for a FB, was always very soft in the tackle too and never had much of a kick return.

Briscoe & BJB were in the same Leeds squad in 2014 and BJB only made the team to cover injuries. He was a genuine international too unlike BJB. So independently coaches favoured Briscoe.

Those small upgrades is what make good teams great teams.

I know what you're but if I was to look at that team at that time, Wing would not have been the position I'd have had as weak. If it weren't salary capped then great, more competition for spots drives standards, but I still think it was a waste for a season. Also, Briscoe, in a less obvious way to Brett Ferres, has also gone a bit downhill since joining Leeds imo - he's not looked like challenging for that international spot since being at the club.

I'm not saying he's a bad player I just don't think he was a big enough upgrade and the squad was lacking in other areas.

8 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Did you ever see Sam Backo at Leeds? Another of their big name flops.

To be fair, Les Davidson half-killed him in a tackle on his debut and he never recovered.

Although it might as well have been Les Dawson.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

I’ve never understood the bad vibes for Mark Aston on this board.  He played some games international level ffs.

No he didn't  he subbed once for GB against france 1991

As a Wigan fan Gavin Clinch springs to mind as a decent player but a prime example of the era when it seemed like Chairman Mo would splash the cash to grab any player from lower clubs who had a decent game against us regardless of whether it actually filled a squad need.

For other clubs I agree that Tom Briscoe was a luxury signing in the salary cap era making a slight improvement on the wing is not the wisest way to use the cap space.

Archived