Who is/was your clubs unnecessary signing?

On 29/04/2020 at 09:29, paulwalker71 said:

I wouldn't even know where to start with the Bulls from around 2010 through to 2017.

Far too many to even list...

Remember Mario Fenech?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Didn't you once sign on Heavyweight Boxer Gary Mason?

Not exactly. What happened was on Sky's rolling chat show one Christmas day Gary Mason was on at the same time as Jonathon Davies. When GM said that he'd played a bit of Union at school Davies said that he should give League a go, so he played part of a game for our then reserve side at (I think) Sheffield. The camera shot of our coach, Dominic Cooper, laughing his head off said it all.

5 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Not exactly. What happened was on Sky's rolling chat show one Christmas day Gary Mason was on at the same time as Jonathon Davies. When GM said that he'd played a bit of Union at school Davies said that he should give League a go, so he played part of a game for our then reserve side at (I think) Sheffield. The camera shot of our coach, Dominic Cooper, laughing his head off said it all.

Wikipedia says three reserve matches, scoring 1 try in his first match, in a loss against Scarborough Pirates. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 30/04/2020 at 08:21, Wigan Riversider said:

David Vaelecki

Jerry Seuseu

Jamie Ainscough

I would argue whilst they didn’t live up to the billing they were necessary signings as the squad needed a centre when we signed Vaelecki. At the time we were very close to signing Mark Gasnier and also strongly linked to Jamie who sadly instead went to the wrong side of Billinge Hill.

3 hours ago, arcticchris said:

I would argue whilst they didn’t live up to the billing they were necessary signings as the squad needed a centre when we signed Vaelecki. At the time we were very close to signing Mark Gasnier and also strongly linked to Jamie who sadly instead went to the wrong side of Billinge Hill.

Fair points.

Vaguely remember Mr Lindsay messing up over Jamie money wise: all just rumours granted?

On 29/04/2020 at 18:48, Leeds Wire said:

Ryan Bailey, quite recently at Wire. 

WTF was that about?

That's actually quite straightforward, he was a late offseason signing, to cover for mitchell dodds who missed preseason after an op and played for 2 minutes over Easter before breaking his leg, and to cover for Ben Evan's who's had his hamstring tore by sintellins the year before and just didnt heal right.

Plus he got brought in on a cheap deal as did Jordan Cox to pad out our reserves at that point.

On 01/05/2020 at 10:51, Wigan Riversider said:

Played 2(?) games due to being suspended Down Under?

He actually signed for Bradford in order to run down his suspension whilst over here. As soon as it was done he cleared off smartly - "so long suckers!"

That particular loophole was closed by the Aussies pretty quickly afterwards.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 30/04/2020 at 11:53, POR said:

YES that's international  and congratulations to him but one sub appearance isn't some games as you alluded 

didn't play for ireland but coached them 2011 to 17 

But the bottom line is your'e missing the point no matter how good you think he is FEV didn't need him but because he was a mate of the then chairman he came to FEV on  big money and he was rubbish  he went back to sheffield after one season 

so as the title of this topic is 

Who is/was your clubs unnecessary signing?

FEV Mark Aston

Niggled me for years, and still does...robbing the rovers blind. 

7 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

That's actually quite straightforward, he was a late offseason signing, to cover for mitchell dodds who missed preseason after an op and played for 2 minutes over Easter before breaking his leg, and to cover for Ben Evan's who's had his hamstring tore by sintellins the year before and just didnt heal right.

Plus he got brought in on a cheap deal as did Jordan Cox to pad out our reserves at that point.

I'm impressed by your knowledge, Barry (despite the awful apostrophe in Ben Evans' surname. ?)

I'll try again with Mark Jones.....

Archived