Derek Beaumont reveals Super League proposal for 13-team Super League next year

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The championship is sustainable?

Then why are so many of its clubs going bust? And why were championship chairmen telling us 1 year ago that if they didnt get the money from the SL tv deal they would all definitely go bust?

What Super League TV Deal? The one Elstone Screwed up in France? It no longer exists. Or do you mean the Joint SL / RFL TV Deal that the RFL negotiated? 

You keep telling us that SL Clubs, by which you have mentioned Leeds numerous times, cannot cut their cloth to suite any given situation such as a pandemic, or a relegation. Reliance on rich benefactors and little to no flexibility to reduce spending sounds a lot like unsustainable to me. 

3 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

What Super League TV Deal? The one Elstone Screwed up in France? It no longer exists. Or do you mean the Joint SL / RFL TV Deal that the RFL negotiated? 

You keep telling us that SL Clubs, by which you have mentioned Leeds numerous times, cannot cut their cloth to suite any given situation such as a pandemic, or a relegation. Reliance on rich benefactors and little to no flexibility to reduce spending sounds a lot like unsustainable to me. 

You must admire Leigh, won promotion twice, relegated after a season twice yet didn’t go pop as a result, great management 

7 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Didn’t BeIn Sports pull the plug on Catalans’ TV deal, not Sky?

5 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

"Broadcaster beIN Sports will stop showing Catalan Dragons games from 2020, according to French media outlet Treize Mondial.

beIN have screened Dragons games since 2012, with the channel apparently paying just 70,000 euros, plus production costs, for the rights annually.

However, it is now understood that negotiations with Super League chairman Robert Elstone have broken down and resulted in the TV company withdrawing their interest"

5 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

The one that sky pay to screen SL games and not bother to screen championship games.

You said the championship was sustainable, if that is the case why do clubs keep going bust why did they tell us they would all go bust if.they didnt get a peice of.the next SL tv deal? 

But surely if SL are combining with the RFL,it will be a joint TV deal not just SL.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

What rugby league?

We know what they are paying SL for. 

How do you know what will be paid and to who when the current agreement ends.

As far as I am aware,at the moment SKY pay for the right to televise SL and Championship games.

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

"Broadcaster beIN Sports will stop showing Catalan Dragons games from 2020, according to French media outlet Treize Mondial.

beIN have screened Dragons games since 2012, with the channel apparently paying just 70,000 euros, plus production costs, for the rights annually.

However, it is now understood that negotiations with Super League chairman Robert Elstone have broken down and resulted in the TV company withdrawing their interest"

As I have said before on here the fact that SL got Bein Sport to pay Euros 70000 + production costs (Around 35000 euros per match) was a minor miracle ?

Prior to this French rugby league paid ALL the production costs.

9 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Yeah, it was due to expire anyhow to be fair. Elstone wanted a decent wedge in the renewal negotiations and it didn't happen. 

2 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Yeah, it was due to expire anyhow to be fair. Elstone wanted a decent wedge in the renewal negotiations and it didn't happen. 

Unfortunately I can't find the link now, but at the time it was reported that beIN were offering the same rate for renewal but Elstone did his Oliver Twist impression and that was that. 

Just now, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Unfortunately I can't find the link now, but at the time it was reported that beIN were offering the same rate for renewal but Elstone did his Oliver Twist impression and that was that. 

If that is true he didn't cover himself in glory ending up with nothing.

2 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

If that is true he didn't cover himself in glory ending up with nothing.

Found this https://media.sportbusiness.com/news/bein-sports-turns-back-on-super-league/

However, according to French newspaper l’Independant, beIN Sports “quickly informed” Super League officials that it would be unwilling to negotiate a new rights deal after the broadcaster had been told that the competition’s chief executive, Robert Elstone, is seeking a significant increase in the rights fee.

The newspaper added that beIN Sports, which has offered Super League coverage since 2012, paid “up to €70,000 ($78,500) per season” for the rights and also covered production costs of approximately €20,000 per Catalans Dragons home game.

Elstone, who was reported to have been “astonished” by the decision by beIN Sports, has already approached other French broadcasters regarding a possible rights deal for next season, including pay-television broadcaster Canal Plus.

5 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Championship games they don't televise.

The reticence to call this the SL tv deal seems odd

Under the current TV deal have SKY paid money to televise championship games?

Please answer the question YES or NO.

It's a very simple question.

6 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Championship games they don't televise.

The reticence to call this the SL tv deal seems odd

He states correctly that they pay for the right to televise. 

Furthermore Scotchy they have actually contracted to show a minimum number of Championship games, which they have been, summer bash & playoffs. and that no one else may show them without Sky's say so. 

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

It was lose-lose for Elstone. Or certainly would have been treated as such by some. If he’d have negotiated the same deal as previous, some would have asked questions about why he didn’t push for more. Instead, he chose to push for money  and come away with nothing. 

3 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

As I have said before on here the fact that SL got Bein Sport to pay Euros 70000 + production costs (Around 35000 euros per match) was a minor miracle ?

Prior to this French rugby league paid ALL the production costs.

Though I don't recall the source now, I read somewhere that the production costs were 18,000 € per match.

48 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

No. We know that because they arent doing so. 

So how have SKY managed to televise the Summer Bash? Do the RFL let them do it for free?

You are either stupid or pigheaded.

I really don't care which.

Goodbye.

9 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

How did premier screen the championship without a congruent fall in Skys payment?

That was during a different tv deal, this deal was explicitly made for rights to championship games as well, which they use to screen summer bash, playoff games and middle eights before that, partly why the championship payments are top loaded to the higher placed teams.

20 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Though I don't recall the source now, I read somewhere that the production costs were 18,000 € per match.

I think that would have been split on some of the deals 50/50 I know that even back in 2003/4/5 it was at least Euros 30000 per match 

Archived