Exiles to return?

Shaun Wane has raised the possibility of bringing back the Exiles at the end of the year, or at least suggested it as an option should the Ashes get cancelled, not as a direct replacement, but as a chance for him to get a game (or two) under his belt with the England team prior to the World cup. I quite like the idea, if we don't get an Ashes series, which is unlikely.

1. Bevan French

2. Mahe Fonua

3. Kevin Naqaima

4. Israel Folau

5. Ratu Naulogo

6. James Maloney

7. Aiden sezer

8. Julian Bousquet

9. Tommy Leului

10. Matt Prior

11. Ben Murdoch-Masilla

12. Manu Mau

13. Sonny Bill Williams

And with the likes of Koni Hurrell, Rob Lui, Theo Fage, Tony Gigot, Chase Stanley, Cheyse Blair, David Mead, Sam Kasiano, and others available, you could put out a pretty decent squad.

Who would be in your team? 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

What do you mean home? 

To the Countries they come from.

Most do not call England home, they are there to work.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They all live here?

Ok mate.

A couple live in France, why don't you see if they have a few mates that live in France and play them rather than some stupid knocked together team called “The Exiles” 
It was laughable the first time with the theatre of blokes in black robes.

1 minute ago, Allora said:

Ok mate.

A couple live in France, why don't you see if they have a few mates that live in France and play them rather than some stupid knocked together team called “The Exiles” 
It was laughable the first time with the theatre of blokes in black robes.

There's plenty of reasons to not play the exiles, but "they've gone home" is the weakest.

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

There's plenty of reasons to not play the exiles, but "they've gone home" is the weakest.

How about the players couldn’t give a rats ass and have gone home?

It was a joke and the crowds agreed last time.

You realise England losing to a bunch of semi rejects does little for England’s reputation or standing in the game?

The last game was played in front of around 7,000 and lots of players dropped out or were “not available”

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is injuries. The last time this was played Tommy Leululai received a serious injury and was out for months. This made many Exile players rethink playing this meaningless fixture for little money and putting their careers and contracts on the line. Until then it had been a bit of a jolly for them and get together. It was canned after that game and, although it was never given as a reason, they would have been struggling for players thereafter.

30 minutes ago, Damien said:

Please God no. It didnt work the first time and I'd hate to see a repeat. 

What makes you say it didn't work? The reason for the Exiles was to give England a greater challenge outside of games against Australia and NZ, right? it achieved that. The fans didn't buy into it completely, but is that down to the concept or the way it was presented?

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 minute ago, EastLondonMike said:

What makes you say it didn't work? The reason for the Exiles was to give England a greater challenge outside of games against Australia and NZ, right? it achieved that. The fans didn't buy into it completely, but is that down to the concept or the way it was presented?

Neither side took it seriously the first time around so I'm not sure how much of a challenge it actually gave.

The crowds were

That is a failed concept in any measure.

England won 2 games and lost 2 games.

It must have had the Aussies and Kiwis really concerned what they were up against.

Play France and build the game up where it counts.

More pontificating about the future, which is completely unknown. I'd rather see England v England Knights than England v The Exiles, though I can understand why that wouldn't be preferable commercially. 

But because I'm bored, I'm joining in. But I'm putting a twist on my Exiles team. 2x players from the same Super League side, however, they must have played Internationally so that rules out otherwise shoe-in's in Bevan French, Aidan Sezer etc. I've probably missed out an obvious name or two but...

1. Lachlan Coote (St Helens - Scotland)

2. Bureta Faraimo (Hull FC - USA)

3. Shaun Kenny-Dowell (Hull KR - New Zealand)

4. Israel Folau (Catalans Dragons - Australia)

5. Rhys Williams (Salford Red Devils - Wales)

6. James Maloney (Catalans Dragons - Australia)

7. Theo Fages (St Helens - France)

8. Suaia Matagi (Huddersfield Giants - Samoa/New Zealand)

9. Tommy Leuluai (Wigan Warriors - New Zealand)

10. Ben Murdoch-Masila (Warrington Wolves - Tonga)

11. Manu Ma'u (Hull FC - Tonga)

12. Rhyse Martin (Leeds Rhinos - PNG)

13. Sonny Bill Williams (Toronto Wolfpack - New Zealand)

14. Jesse Sene-Lefao (Castleford Tigers - Samoa)

15. Peter Mata'utia (Castleford Tigers - Samoa)

16. Ukuma Ta'ai (Huddersfield Giants - Tonga)

17. Kane Linnett (Hull KR - Scotland)

18. Konrad Hurrell (Leeds Rhinos - Tonga)

19. Tui Lolohea (Salford Red Devils - Tonga/New Zealand)

20. Tony Gigot (Toronto Wolfpack - France)

21. David Fifita (Wakefield Trinity - Tonga)

22. George King (Wakefield Trinity - Ireland)

23. Leilani Latu (Warrington Wolves - Tonga)

24. Morgan Escare (Wigan Warriors - France)

with what has happened World wide this year an Exiles, Rest of the World or United Nations Vs England at the end of the season maybe the best chance England has of playing top quality opposition. Dosnt look good for the Rugby League Ashes series happening this year, with state of Origin being played after NRL grand final. A World side made up of Superleague players could have SBW, Israel Folau, James Maloney as well as many former & Current NZ, Australian, Pacific Island, Welsh, French etc Representative players. 

I strongly support England vs France annual test being played in France but last minute scheduling and planning has contributed to France's poor performances in the past. So set it up for 2021 in France and plan and promote it and then commit to playing for a trophy long term and build up the product.

6 hours ago, Allora said:

The crowds were

That is a failed concept in any measure.

England won 2 games and lost 2 games.

It must have had the Aussies and Kiwis really concerned what they were up against.

Play France and build the game up where it counts.

I still think it could work if it was marketed well. For a one off test this year I’d just play the Exiles, it’s be a better game than playing France or Wales although I think England should play France more to help develop them

21 minutes ago, Celt said:

They didn't buy into at all.  The stadium was empty.  It was a real shame for the players who had been in camp preparing, to have to play a 'Test' in an empty stadium.

Unfortunately, Rugby League fans don't seem to buy into many things.

The problem is our fan base is too low we rely on the same group of fans who are 90% dedicated 100% to their clubs (Not the game) I am not having a dig here just stating reality.

Only way to grow the game is through Internationals which attracts a whole new audience.

Paul

1 hour ago, Celt said:

They didn't buy into at all.  The stadium was empty.  It was a real shame for the players who had been in camp preparing, to have to play a 'Test' in an empty stadium.

Unfortunately, Rugby League fans don't seem to buy into many things.

14k for the first game in 2011 - at Headingley which was 18K capacity back then? not bad considering we only drew 3k more for the 1st test against NZ in 2018.

11K 2nd game in 2012 - at Langtree Park - Capacity is 18K i think.. not good at all, but Aus v Fiji only drew 3k more in the world cup the following year.

in 2012 one of the games was on a Wednesday night in Huddersfield for christ's sake. so hardly likely to entice even your most ardent RL fan.

I don't think the concept was bad at all, just how it was presented and sold to the fans.

As a one off event, when the quality of player is available, and both players and clubs are behind it, i think it could be a great tool for England, and would enjoy seeing one game played, along with a couple of tests against France, if at all possible

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Archived