Exiles to return?

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Exiles wont work because they only exist as an opposite. And that never works.

You cant market 'Not England' as anything but a training game.

Any viable concept needs to exist on the basis of what it is, rather than isnt. 

Europe could work, Pacifica could work, exiles will always be seen as an opposed training session

Barbarians play every year.

Select sides serve a purpose, they shouldn't be the main focus of the international calendar, but they could fit in at a certain level to serve a certain purpose.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The problem is our fan base is too low we rely on the same group of fans who are 90% dedicated 100% to their clubs (Not the game) I am not having a dig here just stating reality.

Only way to grow the game is through Internationals which attracts a whole new audience.

Paul

Absolutely, and we need to recognise where the audience for internationals are. That is Leeds and London.

I think the Exiles is a worthwhile concept, though it's a stupid name. Call them the rest of the world (if also picking French and Welsh players) or Oceania XIII or something. Play a full strength one-off game mid-year in London, Newcastle or anywhere else that doesn't get to see them every week...

But whatever they do there, the RFL and RLIF really should still be doing everything in their power (which admittedly may not be much) to help France. Help them get a meaningful test calendar together, get Trent Robinson in as national coach, and get Toulouse into Superleague. France aren't too far away from being able to give England a game, if they can just get it together. Escare, Yaha, Gigot, Fages, Miloudi and a number of forwards are capable of at least asking England questions. The trick is getting them all on the field together in an organised well coached setup... An Ireland side with all their best heritage players could also give England a decent hit out. 

England v England Knights has more clout than England v Exiles. Mate vs Mate, someone whose got the shirt vs someone who wants the shirt etc etc. That doesn’t mean we should be doing this as a long term option, though. 

This, the whole we’ll even manage to get an International game against anyone, is all based on the premise that thousands of Covid tests appear and there’s enough to go around the people who need them first and foremost, before we even bother about whether we can get any sport. 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

England v England Knights has more clout than England v Exiles. Mate vs Mate, someone whose got the shirt vs someone who wants the shirt etc etc. That doesn’t mean we should be doing this as a long term option, though. 

This, the whole we’ll even manage to get an International game against anyone, is all based on the premise that thousands of Covid tests appear and there’s enough to go around the people who need them first and foremost, before we even bother about whether we can get any sport. 

Would you go and watch Wigan v Wigan Reserves or Saints v Saint Reserves? No, neither would I.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

I'd hate for Scotchy to be upset so how about we replace the ashes series fixtures against UK based Australians? I'd have thought there would be enough to pull a team together and it should be competitive whilst maintaining a semblance of worth. Australian Exiles? We might even beat 'Australia' that way.

Might even be the possibility of getting a few guests over from Aus if it's safe to do so.

Could even make it a tri-nations with France or Wales.

3736-mipm.gif

19 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Would you go and watch Wigan v Wigan Reserves or Saints v Saint Reserves? No, neither would I.

Would you watch England v a load of random blokes pushed together as a team that's basically "Not England"? No, neither would I. 

I don't want England v England Knights as a game, I just think it's a better idea than England v Exiles, which I wouldn't even consider going back to. 

20 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Exiles wont work because they only exist as an opposite. And that never works.

You cant market 'Not England' as anything but a training game.

Any viable concept needs to exist on the basis of what it is, rather than isnt. 

Europe could work, Pacifica could work, exiles will always be seen as an opposed training session

Having a Pacific team would be more or less a rebrand of the Exiles then wouldn’t it? I think it’s a good idea though, have 2 mins season tests one against Pacific and one against France.

Could include Australian, NZ, PNG, Tongan, Fijian ect players in a Pacific team

8 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Would you watch England v a load of random blokes pushed together as a team that's basically "Not England"? No, neither would I. 

I don't want England v England Knights as a game, I just think it's a better idea than England v Exiles, which I wouldn't even consider going back to. 

I never said I wanted the Exiles back but as it happens I did watch every Exiles game and attended one of them in person. I would also watch it again, not that I think it's the best idea. It's a better idea than Eng v Eng A though which Eng would win at a canter and no one would be able to pick a side as they are both England.

3736-mipm.gif

Its not Einstein this 

Every 4 years England v Australia (Tours down under also every 4 years)

Every 4 years England v New Zealand  (Tours down under every 4 years)

France v England (In France every year) 

(If there is a England v France match in England it has to be played in a totally new area I would opt for somewhere like Portsmouth or Plymouth you put a small marketing team in place a few months before build up a relationship with the local press/radio/schools etc and market the hell out of it)

England v Fiji

England v Samoa

England v Tonga

England v PNG (Again like France home matches in special areas)

England v ROW would work 

That lot on a rotation would give England around (Allowing for 3 Test series v Australia and New Zealand) on a 4 year cycle around 4 matches at home per year (Could be more if 2 tests minimum v teams other than Australia and New Zealand)

The goal should be to give the top long term players a chance of winning around 50 caps over a 5/6 year period)

IT CAN BE DONE AND NEEDS TO BE DONE AS ITS THE ONLY WAY THE GAME WILL EXPAND:)

Paul

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I meant more of the island nations. I think the problem when you include australians and to a less extent kiwis is that its obviously 4th 5th choice players.

A pacific islands side could make a convincing argument that it is an amalgam of first choice players. 

There is an element of it just being a rebrand but that's where I would like to see us use real imagination. We dont just have to do a test series or one off game.

We can do anything.

They could be called Fitongpapoa! One for the marketers to work on.

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

We can do better than Australians in the UK select 13. 

Come on. Let your imagination run riot. Covid-19 has bowled us a no-ball. The next ones a free hit. Swing for a 6

Can you tell which ideas are pre-approved by you to save me the humiliation?

3736-mipm.gif

On 30/04/2020 at 12:50, Tommygilf said:

They all live here?

I just know you were waiting for me to say it, just like those in the Canadian team, like I've said Tommy when Toronto play away the player's are at home, and when they play at home they are away.

Just saying!

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I just know you were waiting for me to say it, just like those in the Canadian team, like I've said Tommy when Toronto play away the player's are at home, and when they play at home they are away.

Just saying!

Just like Batsmen at Cricket, when they are in, they are out, and when they are out, they are in!

Why can't Tonga come over and play? They will not be involved in Origin and the original dates for the Ashes could still be used. If you want to swap Tottehham for a smaller venue like Sheff United or Wigan or Hull that would be fine I'm sure.

Tonga v England over 3 tests would be amazing!

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

I'd think the reasoning would be the same as why they aussies cant

I think the Aussies can't because Origin will now go on until about Nov 20. The NRL GF is on October 25 - travel is obviously a worry but October is 6 months away.

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just saying!

Thats a fair assessment H, but as you've pointed out on several other threads the home atmosphere is an essential part of playing at home. So whilst the players may be "away", the club is at home. 

Regardless, I was responding to the suggestion that players like Hurrell or Naqiama don't live here.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I think the Aussies can't because Origin will now go on until about Nov 20. The NRL GF is on October 25 - travel is obviously a worry but October is 6 months away.

They're also due to play the oceania cup. 

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

I meant more of the island nations. I think the problem when you include australians and to a less extent kiwis is that its obviously 4th 5th choice players.

A pacific islands side could make a convincing argument that it is an amalgam of first choice players. 

There is an element of it just being a rebrand but that's where I would like to see us use real imagination. We dont just have to do a test series or one off game.

We can do anything.

Wouldn’t you just use SL based players though? Although Hastings and Austin wouldn’t be able to play for a Pacific/ Oceanic teams due to playing for GB

On 30/04/2020 at 12:50, scotchy1 said:

The exiles didnt work as a brand. 

A Pacific side might work a bit better. 

This would be my main issue in bringing back the exiles, the brand didn’t work, there was no rivalry, fans interest and attendances quickly plummeted last time.

England v Australia is our biggest draw and we need to link it to that if they are to be brought back. 

Australian Exiles playing in Green and Gold against England would be appealing. Most of our overseas players qualify for Australia anyway, especially when grandparents and 5 year residency rules are included.

I think international borders will be sealed for a good few months yet... certainly here in Aus where a Covid 19 patient is more difficult to find than a koala in the charred remains of the Australian bush, and restrictions are being lifted with the help of a citizen tracking app... there are no plans to open the borders to plague ridden foreigners... with the possible exception of a NZ/ Aussie bubble... 

tourism and immigration is on indefinite hold! The government is already talking about also becoming less reliant on overseas business (which is odd as the ‘citizen tracking app’ is owned and run by an American company and the data will be stored overseas?)

anyway... back to the point... no to an exiles team ... but maybe a ‘Prime Ministers 13’ Or an Artist formally known as Prince Harry’s invitational team... would be much easier to market Boris or Harry to their new fawning working class masses!? 

I think lockdown is bringing out the sarcastic cynic in me....

10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

They're also due to play the oceania cup. 

When's that supposed to happen in the new calendar, concurrent with SOO? Tbh I can't see it going ahead unless crowds are back, but then that would also apply to an England v Tonga series.

The only footie that is viable behind closed doors is NRL/SL/SOO. Internationals might have to wait until next year unfortunately, which isn't great for World Cup prep, but we are where we are. 

6 hours ago, Wollongong said:

would be much easier to market Boris or Harry to their new fawning working class masses!? 

I think lockdown is bringing out the sarcastic cynic in me....

Or the astute political anylist you've been keeping under a bushell all this time!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived