Canadian Tryouts

According to the (most listenable) Howlin’ Hour Podcast this week, Ottawa are to host an elite level tryout for Canadian sportsmen and have 10 full-time contracts available for them. I really hope this comes off, it would give the M62 Luddites one less thing to moan about and would really be growing the game ?? 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think that, say, 10 Canadian college rugby union players can be converted into League 1 standard rugby league players in 6 months? That's what you're looking at for it to work.

They'd get schooled by the top L1 teams, but perhaps competitiveness with the bottom teams is enough for now. 

5 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Do you think that, say, 10 Canadian college rugby union players can be converted into League 1 standard rugby league players in 6 months? That's what you're looking at for it to work.

They'd get schooled by the top L1 teams, but perhaps competitiveness with the bottom teams is enough for now. 

How about a running back or tight end that hasn’t quite made it into the NFL or CFL? They don’t have to already be rugby union players but if they’re top athletes, are bright and willing to learn I don’t see why they can’t be made into RL players. Players from other codes have moved into the NFL which I’d have thought (due to the complexity of the game) is a harder move than the other way, as long as they’re able to become fit enough. 

And and anyway what is L1 standard, are West Wales L1 standard? 

7 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Might be Canadians coming back home to play.

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How about a running back or tight end that hasn’t quite made it into the NFL or CFL? They don’t have to already be rugby union players but if they’re top athletes, are bright and willing to learn I don’t see why they can’t be made into RL players. Players from other codes have moved into the NFL which I’d have thought (due to the complexity of the game) is a harder move than the other way, as long as they’re able to become fit enough. 

And and anyway what is L1 standard, are West Wales L1 standard? 

Linebackers, defensive linemen and defensive backs would be better bets.  They already have the skills and mental agility to play defense, they just need to improve their fitness and make some adjustments in their play and they'll be able to handle playing defense.  Teaching them the offensive side of the game will also be easier than teaching offensive players how to play defense from scratch.

4 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

Might be Canadians coming back home to play.

Back from pro RU abroad?  Not for the kind of money available in northern hemisphere RL now they won't.

I think in League 1 a full time athlete with reasonable core Rugby skills would go fine. League 1 is the perfect breeding ground for players like that to develop. Supplement them with a dozen seasoned pro's and Ottawa would go fine.

5 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Linebackers, defensive linemen and defensive backs would be better bets.  They already have the skills and mental agility to play defense, they just need to improve their fitness and make some adjustments in their play and they'll be able to handle playing defense.  Teaching them the offensive side of the game will also be easier than teaching offensive players how to play defense from scratch.

Back from pro RU abroad?  Not for the kind of money available in northern hemisphere RL now they won't.

For some its not all about the money it means more to play at home near family.

10 minute interview with Perez regarding the try-outs and other stuff including the historical link between RL and CFL:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/eric-perez-on-ottawa-aces-rugby-1.1470774

The Aces are also unveiling concept shirts for people to vote on: 

https://twitter.com/ottawaaces

23 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Why does it have to be Rugby Union players or Gridiron players? Canada has a national rugby league team, surely most players will be existing Canadian RL players. 

The point is that there may be better athletes who can become better RL players currently playing other sports. 

2 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

10 minute interview with Perez regarding the try-outs and other stuff including the historical link between RL and CFL:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/eric-perez-on-ottawa-aces-rugby-1.1470774

The Aces are also unveiling concept shirts for people to vote on: 

https://twitter.com/ottawaaces

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have 2 sons who have been part of the Canadian RU set up at junior level, one is now playing (gridiron) football on a university scholarship, he is draft eligible next year. My other son still plays RU, at the university level, I have watched a lot of their RU games and can confidently say

1. There are without a doubt guys, who with the right level of conditioning, coaching and required dedication, could compete, and beat, the likes of Skolars, Coventry, and West Wales, they would need a bit more RL savvy to stand a chance against Hunslet, Rochdale and Keighley though (for those games I suspect the starting 13 has no Canadians).

2. The big problem I see is finding the guys who are willing to take the plunge if they have other options, it will be the ones who see no CFL, USport or pro RU future, unless of course they get offered big $$$ and I just can’t see that happening for League1. I don’t know what’s on offer, but may do soon as my youngest son is looking into trying out (he’s wasted playing Union, he is the perfect league hooker who is good with ball in hand, in union all they want him to do is tackle and hit rucks)

3. There may be a lot of smoke and mirrors with this, for example what will be Ottawa’s squad size, if it’s say 28 players then it’s possible to have 10 Canadians and for none to be in the game day 17 if everyone is fit. Over time that may lead to Canadians drifting away.

4. Someone suggested Ottawa recruits existing RL players, this is unlikely as there are only the few players in the Toronto area to choose from. Although BC technically has a 5 team comp it’s entirely made up of RU players and transient Aussies. I don’t doubt some will give the try out a go, but it is right to appeal to as wide a base as possible.

Im prepared to give Perez the benefit of the doubt, I guess we will find out in due course.

3 hours ago, Jayme2020 said:

Just to add to that one of the player with the Cfl team had a offer in the NFL that would have paid him millions he opted to stay in Otatwa close to home making $100,000.

Is that so?  Who is that player and do you have a source for this?  I tried searching and came up empty.

44 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

I have 2 sons who have been part of the Canadian RU set up at junior level, one is now playing (gridiron) football on a university scholarship, he is draft eligible next year. My other son still plays RU, at the university level, I have watched a lot of their RU games and can confidently say

1. There are without a doubt guys, who with the right level of conditioning, coaching and required dedication, could compete, and beat, the likes of Skolars, Coventry, and West Wales, they would need a bit more RL savvy to stand a chance against Hunslet, Rochdale and Keighley though (for those games I suspect the starting 13 has no Canadians).

2. The big problem I see is finding the guys who are willing to take the plunge if they have other options, it will be the ones who see no CFL, USport or pro RU future, unless of course they get offered big $$$ and I just can’t see that happening for League1. I don’t know what’s on offer, but may do soon as my youngest son is looking into trying out (he’s wasted playing Union, he is the perfect league hooker who is good with ball in hand, in union all they want him to do is tackle and hit rucks)

3. There may be a lot of smoke and mirrors with this, for example what will be Ottawa’s squad size, if it’s say 28 players then it’s possible to have 10 Canadians and for none to be in the game day 17 if everyone is fit. Over time that may lead to Canadians drifting away.

4. Someone suggested Ottawa recruits existing RL players, this is unlikely as there are only the few players in the Toronto area to choose from. Although BC technically has a 5 team comp it’s entirely made up of RU players and transient Aussies. I don’t doubt some will give the try out a go, but it is right to appeal to as wide a base as possible.

Im prepared to give Perez the benefit of the doubt, I guess we will find out in due course.

You really think a Canadian would head to the UK and take far fare less money.

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

According to the (most listenable) Howlin’ Hour Podcast this week, Ottawa are to host an elite level tryout for Canadian sportsmen and have 10 full-time contracts available for them. I really hope this comes off, it would give the M62 Luddites one less thing to moan about and would really be growing the game ?? 

Excellent , hope it works 

1 hour ago, Jayme2020 said:

You really think a Canadian would head to the UK and take far fare less money.

Do you know how much Ottawa are paying for League 1 Rugby? I don’t know but I can’t imagine it will be life changing, and unlikely to tempt Union players back from Europe.

7 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Do you know how much Ottawa are paying for League 1 Rugby? I don’t know but I can’t imagine it will be life changing, and unlikely to tempt Union players back from Europe.

How much are Canadians earning playing union in Europe though? Other than for the top players union salaries aren’t big. 

The contracts they'll be offering won't be worth enough to attract the really strong talent, so the chances of them finding players that really kick on to become a strong players (i.e. SL or even better NRL standard) are slim at best.

So aside from maybe some minor promotional value, the only reason that they are holding these tryouts is so they can appease a few morons who say they aren't fair dinkum unless they have local players.

So in pursuit of gaining some credibility with people that A. aren't their audience (don't even live in Canada) and B. will never spend a dime on the club, they're going spend a bunch of money signing a bunch of untested guys, most of whom probably didn't even know there were two forms of rugby, let alone have ever played the game, when they could have spent the same amount signing a few solid players from Aus, NZ, Eng, etc.

So yeah maybe they get lucky and find a diamond in the rough, but I ask you, rather than trying to get a bunch of Canadians into the team as quickly as possible, even if they aren't ready and it's only going to weaken the team, wouldn't it have been better in the long run for the club and the sport in Canada if they had fielded the strongest team possible and made a name for themselves?

Rushing Canadian players into the team makes them look good to certain people in the short term, but it's much better for them in the long term if they are as successful as possible and thus draw as many people's attention to themselves and the sport by getting their name in media as much as possible, that will lead to stronger support for the sport, which will lead to more people wanting to give the sport a go, which will lead to a grassroots sprouting out, and eventually actual juniors.

1 minute ago, The Great Dane said:

The contracts they'll be offering won't be worth enough to attract the really strong talent, so the chances of them finding players that really kick on to become a strong players (i.e. SL or even better NRL standard) are slim at best.

So aside from maybe some minor promotional value, the only reason that they are holding these tryouts is so they can appease a few morons who say they aren't fair dinkum unless they have local players.

So in pursuit of gaining some credibility with people that A. aren't their audience (don't even live in Canada) and B. will never spend a dime on the club, they're going spend a bunch of money signing a bunch of untested guys, most of whom probably didn't even know there were two forms of rugby, let alone have ever played the game, when they could have spent the same amount signing a few solid players from Aus, NZ, Eng, etc.

So yeah maybe they get lucky and find a diamond in the rough, but I ask you, rather than trying to get a bunch of Canadians into the team as quickly as possible, even if they aren't ready and it's only going to weaken the team, wouldn't it have been better in the long run for the club and the sport in Canada if they had fielded the strongest team possible and made a name for themselves?

Rushing Canadian players into the team makes them look good to certain people in the short term, but it's much better for them in the long term if they are as successful as possible and thus draw as many people's attention to themselves and the sport by getting their name in media as much as possible, that will lead to stronger support for the sport, which will lead to more people wanting to give the sport a go, which will lead to a grassroots sprouting out, and eventually actual juniors.

I see your point but i think you might be incorrect.  Sure the base core will be from places where RL is currently played but there will be some who try out who, with proper coaching, will be able to jump to the League 1 standard fairly quickly.

Ottawa is a strong Rugby Union town and I have no doubt there are players 'in the rough' there....your other points are valid (publicity etc)  but to get lower clubs going a few Canadians or 'local lads' on the side will help develop that.  There is a strong possibility that if successful the Union sides will also run a few League sides....they could then compete with the few clubs from Toronto and an Ontario League with a good standard should develop if all goes to plan.  Promotion and interest are the keys...it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

14 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

I think this is fair comment. Whether Canadian tryouts turn out to be all hot air depends on whether Perez is being honest when he says that - unlike the Wolfpack - it's OK if Ottawa stays in L1 for a while. Personally I just don't believe that. In which case you need seasoned professionals from Eng/Aus/NZ. 

That said I'm not sure L1 will even exist in a couple of years - certainly in its current form - so it could be academic. 

5 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I think this is fair comment. Whether Canadian tryouts turn out to be all hot air depends on whether Perez is being honest when he says that - unlike the Wolfpack - it's OK if Ottawa stays in L1 for a while. Personally I just don't believe that. In which case you need seasoned professionals from Eng/Aus/NZ. 

That said I'm not sure L1 will even exist in a couple of years - certainly in its current form - so it could be academic. 

Its important that they have a winning club on the field so they can move up...very important.

The Great Dane seems to be a great dolt when it comes to the issue of developing Canadian players.  

A core of British & Oceania players augmented by local talent seems to be a smart and enlightened way forward to progress on and off the field.

Archived