Any reason St Helens and Hull Fc don't have any second name?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leeds at first didnt embrace the SL concept as they were heading for financial ruin .Then GH came in and had a fans " election " as to having a nickname the local press was involved.  I think Loiners had the majority but the club opted for Rhinos .I think that was in response to success Bradford had with " Bulls " even Bramley adopted the nickname Buffalo's  .                               

Leeds have quite successfully promoted their brand nickname by sending out their mascot to local functions and hospitals etc .

I think that is the idea I used to see it quite a lot when I lived in Philadelphia PA their mascot used to attend local galas and carnivals and church fetes etc kids getting pics taken watching the mascot on coconut shies etc. All adds to promoting the brand .

When it first stated at Leeds I was embarrassed by it all as Leeds started to do well, I used to say ' OMG Silly Rhinos ' dont remind me ' then one day I had  my road to Damascus moment outside Headingley I saw a young mum with 4 very young children all lined up with Rhinos tops on .I thought my God what an old misery I am this family are probably new fans who have been attracted  . Its still not for me ,but it's not aimed at me either. 

As for Loiners nickname everyone knows what Rhino is ,but even citizens of Leeds all have differing explanations as to what Loiner means .

The nickname and Mascot is all about promoting the brand you either do it right or you dont .At first Keighley and Bradford did it right and Leeds copied 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Leeds at first didnt embrace the SL concept as they were heading for financial ruin .Then GH came in and had a fans " election " as to having a nickname the local press was involved.  I think Loiners had the majority but the club opted for Rhinos .I think that was in response to success Bradford had with " Bulls " even Bramley adopted the nickname Buffalo's  .                               

Leeds have quite successfully promoted their brand nickname by sending out their mascot to local functions and hospitals etc .

I think that is the idea I used to see it quite a lot when I lived in Philadelphia PA their mascot used to attend local galas and carnivals and church fetes etc kids getting pics taken watching the mascot on coconut shies etc. All adds to promoting the brand .

When it first stated at Leeds I was embarrassed by it all as Leeds started to do well, I used to say ' OMG Silly Rhinos ' dont remind me ' then one day I had  my road to Damascus moment outside Headingley I saw a young mum with 4 very young children all lined up with Rhinos tops on .I thought my God what an old misery I am this family are probably new fans who have been attracted  . Its still not for me ,but it's not aimed at me either. 

As for Loiners nickname everyone knows what Rhino is ,but even citizens of Leeds all have differing explanations as to what Loiner means .

The nickname and Mascot is all about promoting the brand you either do it right or you dont .At first Keighley and Bradford did it right and Leeds copied 

Bramley Buffaloes were the re-formed club, weren’t they, rather than the original one that finished up playing at Headingley?

2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Bramley Buffaloes were the re-formed club, weren’t they, rather than the original one that finished up playing at Headingley?

Yes I think so ,but what I'm trying to say that two clubs very close to Bradford "Bulls" took on names similar to the Bulls . I. E Bull Rhino ,Buffalo 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 21:25, Man of Kent said:

Because everyone calls St Helens, Saints and Hull FC, Hull FC. No need for American-style nicknames.

Hull fc were Hull Sharks for a while

Chief Crazy Eagle

On 01/05/2020 at 15:41, Hela Wigmen said:

We (Saints) were St Helens Rangers till the 1880’s, which sounds so odd. 

And Warrington started life as 'Zingari', which means nomadic/traveller, as they had no home base. 

What a great name we lost!

On 03/05/2020 at 10:53, Rupert Prince said:

Actually, weren't one of Wigans old or original associations or "subriquet", the Colliers.

Or am I dreaming that?

Correct, see my newspaper clipping above yours.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Leeds Wire said:

And Warrington started life as 'Zingari', which means nomadic/traveller, as they had no home base. 

But is retained in Hull, I believe, where I think there is a cricket club of this name.  I look to Old Faithful, Futtocks, hullfan or some such to confirm or correct this.

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I never knew that. That’s brilliant. What language is it from?

I don't know if they are still around, but there used to be a few local Cricket Clubs called Zingari, there was definitely one in Hull called Hull Zingari, maybe one of our Hull posters will know if they are still going.

I don't think a lot of people now realise just how coveted the "FC" title was to a football club in the late 1800s and early 1900s. It meant that club was the senior club and recognised as the representative club of the town/city. It wasn't connected to a particular code either.

Nowadays with all the 'athletic' 'city' 'united' 'town' (and other) tags it's easy to think of 'FC' as just a variation - one of several, equal options. This initially wasn't the case, it really used to mean something and clubs would protect the name and be proud of it. Governing bodies would often hear complaints about clubs encroaching on others club's "title". There would often be local negotiation when new clubs were formed and named.

When the original Liverpool FC (a rugby club) folded there was a real scramble between other clubs in the city to take the name. Similar events happened all over the country.

As mentioned by other posters here. Hull FC would have had a great deal of prestige in holding the "FC" name and this probably accounts for its continued use. I suspect Oldham FC felt sufficiently differentiated from Oldham Athletic AFC (note the use of both Athletic and Association in the club name may well have been mandated when the club was formed) and over time didn't feel the same need to focus on the tag.

I believe Bath FC (RU) still own the name and only recently started using Bath Rugby as their title. Bath City FC had to include 'city' in their name and Team Bath FC as late as 1999 had to put 'Team' in their name. Similarly, I also think that Wigan FC is still owned by the RL club?

www.fatalerror.co.nz - A Musical by Lattimer & McRae

10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Potentially, but they did already do it with sharks and that coincided with the club going under (ironically). Its no surprise that they didn't go back to that and fell back on history and heritage to rebuild good will with the fanbase. By that point also the mood to introduce nicknames had largely passed. FC also works, if it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind.

Its not totally unheard of either. In Leeds, fans of a certain age will remember the Rhinos being called "Leeds RL" by people - mainly to differentiate from Leeds United who were and generally still are the team meant when referring to "Leeds". 

I believe Leeds RL's  full name used to be: Leeds Cricket Football and Athletic Club and the Match Programme for years was called "The Loiner".

Just now, Gooleboy said:

I believe Leeds RL's  full name used to be: Leeds Cricket Football and Athletic Club and the Match Programme for years was called "The Loiner".

They were the company that owned the club (I believe they're still the holding company). 

Loiners is another nickname.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

They were the company that owned the club (I believe they're still the holding company). 

Up to them branding themselves as Rhinos, they were always referred to as the Loiners. Without checking myself, as you have said, I thought the Ltd Company name could still be Leeds CF&A Club.

1 minute ago, Gooleboy said:

Up to them branding themselves as Rhinos, they were always referred to as the Loiners. Without checking myself, as you have said, I thought the Ltd Company name could still be Leeds CF&A Club.

Yeah that's massively declined in the past 25 years, as has the use of Leeds RL in the city. Its Rhinos and Leeds (United) now. 

12 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

I don't know if they are still around, but there used to be a few local Cricket Clubs called Zingari, there was definitely one in Hull called Hull Zingari, maybe one of our Hull posters will know if they are still going.

Yes, still going.  Been around a long time and play down Chants Ave I think.

On 01/05/2020 at 12:03, Padge said:

8 out of 12 clubs adopted new names in the first year of SL, St. Helens stuck with Saints and Workington stuck with Town, Wigan and Halifax remained as just that.

Halifax adopted the Blue Sox name from the beginning of Super League. Fairly certain that Warrington didn't officially become the Wolves til 97 - the shirt they wore in 1996 had the old Warrington RLFC logo on. 

The stories about Sky wanting teams to adopt the new nicknames at the start of SL are nothing more than that - stories. As for Hull FC, every mention I've seen of them prior to their brief Hull Sharks period, they were referred to as just Hull. I always thought it was the "merger" with Gateshead Thunder which led to the club being officially renamed as Hull FC.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

It's still the company. The club's operations and ownership of the stadium have been in the same place since it was founded 131 years ago.

16 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

Or as those short of stature nomadic travellers were wont to do, they would jump up and say, "Where the Zingari?"

I'll get me coat.

Archived