Any reason St Helens and Hull Fc don't have any second name?

13 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I think its mainly that distinction. Most people will refer to them as Hull or FC, as between Hull City and KR its their unique aspect.

Could KR not simply call themselves Kingston Rovers?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

I believe Leeds RL's  full name used to be: Leeds Cricket Football and Athletic Club and the Match Programme for years was called "The Loiner".

That was the name of the Ltd company. I think it still could ,not sure though

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

34 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Could KR not simply call themselves Kingston Rovers?

Nah, since they refused entry to King Charles to start the civil war calling Hull Kingston would be a tad misleading. Plus KR have a ownership of the city east of the river they should not be forced to give up.

29 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

It could be a religious constriction. We have the 'Saints' and Hull supporters singing 'Old FAITHFUL'.  

Kingston? Was that the name meaning Kingstown  because the kings mainly Henry VIII used the port when they saled to the north ?

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

2 hours ago, thirteenthman said:

The stories about Sky wanting teams to adopt the new nicknames at the start of SL are nothing more than that - stories. As for Hull FC, every mention I've seen of them prior to their brief Hull Sharks period, they were referred to as just Hull. I always thought it was the "merger" with Gateshead Thunder which led to the club being officially renamed as Hull FC.

Hull Football Club was founded in 1865.

1 hour ago, jamescolin said:

It could be a religious constriction. We have the 'Saints' and Hull supporters singing 'Old FAITHFUL'.  

I could be wrong but the song Old Faithful was first sung in tribute to one of Hulls goal kickers.  Not sure which one.

I wonder why domestic and European soccer teams never adopted this trend of attaching monikers to their established names.

Newcastle Magpies

Manchester Red Devils

Brighton & Hove Seagulls

etc...

It must be really difficult for a team simply named Everton to attract youngsters without a suffix that you can market and use as the basis for a mascot. Except it's not, because sporting culture follows different, more meaningful pathways through family lineage, TV exposure, and success on the field.

In other words, I think these nicknames were simply vandalism of the clubs by the clubs themselves. I would argue they have had no noticeable benefits whatsoever on the success, or popularity of any club that decided to adopt one.

Football has many ills, and faults, but not one club of fans would have stood by and watched their team name be altered in any way, shape, or form. The Hull City Tigers saga was concrete proof of that. Even naming-rights of stadiums are vehemently defended, because this stuff matters*.

*in a sporting sense, not in the grand scheme of things, obviously.

8 minutes ago, M j M said:

I don't know, I've never used the Rhinos name in reference to my team and that's probably not many fewer times than the Wigan club themselves use the Warrior name. Removing both of them would not have a material impact on those clubs' fortunes, finances, popularity or awareness.

I politely suggest you are very much in a tiny minority of Leeds fans if you have never used the moniker "Rhinos".

1 minute ago, Leeds Wire said:

I politely suggest you are very much in a tiny minority of Leeds fans if you have never used the moniker "Rhinos".

Yup I'm sure I am.

But the key thing is I don't think if we had never had it the club would have been any less successful on or off the pitch over the past 23 years.

2 minutes ago, M j M said:

Yup I'm sure I am.

But the key thing is I don't think if we had never had it the club would have been any less successful on or off the pitch over the past 23 years.

That's a really interesting point. Do you think crowds would have been as big? You've done pretty well.

25 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

That's a really interesting point. Do you think crowds would have been as big? You've done pretty well.

Well in 1994/95 the club averaged around 13k and whilst we had a couple of years after the first Super League title up at 16k we settled back down to around 14k-15k up to the ground redevelopment. Given the team we had I genuinely don't think that would have been much different especially given Leeds didn't do much else around the Rhino name other than introduce the mascot. The gameday experience has been improved, that's for sure, but it's nothing to do with the name.

Back to the OP, in the case of St Helens they were an established "brand" with an established nickname the Saints with the only addition a St Bernard mascot.

Hull FC Did have an short-lived rebranding as Hull Sharks IIRC.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

On 05/05/2020 at 13:19, Tommygilf said:

Nah, since they refused entry to King Charles to start the civil war calling Hull Kingston would be a tad misleading. Plus KR have a ownership of the city east of the river they should not be forced to give up.

I defer to your local knowledge geography and history.  But you will never get to the top of the tree of the world of rugby league if you ignore absolutism !!

?

On 04/05/2020 at 22:14, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

But is retained in Hull, I believe, where I think there is a cricket club of this name.  I look to Old Faithful, Futtocks, hullfan or some such to confirm or correct this.

On 04/05/2020 at 22:26, Gooleboy said:

I don't know if they are still around, but there used to be a few local Cricket Clubs called Zingari, there was definitely one in Hull called Hull Zingari, maybe one of our Hull posters will know if they are still going.

On 05/05/2020 at 10:37, Lowdesert said:

Yes, still going.  Been around a long time and play down Chants Ave I think.

Correct mate, just round the corner from us at Hull & East Riding Sports Club on Chants Ave North.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

5 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Correct mate, just round the corner from us at Hull & East Riding Sports Club on Chants Ave North.

Thanks.  It occurs to me that there is a sort of irony in a club with a 'nomadic' name having a home venue!

32 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Thanks.  It occurs to me that there is a sort of irony in a club with a 'nomadic' name having a home venue!

Aye but I suppose it's such a great name that they didn't want to change it once they had a home of their own.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

3 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Aye but I suppose it's such a great name that they didn't want to change it once they had a home of their own.

There was a Zingari Amateur Football League in Liverpool that lasted over 100 years then merged with the Liverpool Combination League.

4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Opposite side to the old Hull and ER ground?

On the same site as the old Hull and ER RU ground. The opposite side is where Hull RU play. 

19 hours ago, Ullman said:

Agreed

I've not used The name Rhinos very much ,but I've noticed people who are not exactly steeped in RL using it when talking about Leeds . I wonder if wiganers say " Warriors " I.E " did you see the warriors other night ?" Same with Warrington fans 

JAMIE PEACOCK

Archived