Any reason St Helens and Hull Fc don't have any second name?

20 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

There was a Zingari Amateur Football League in Liverpool that lasted over 100 years then merged with the Liverpool Combination League.

If that knowledge is off the top of your head and not googled, I'll be very impressed.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I've not used The name Rhinos very much ,but I've noticed people who are not exactly steeped in RL using it when talking about Leeds . I wonder if wiganers say " Warriors " I.E " did you see the warriors other night ?" Same with Warrington fans 

See my earlier post. Nobody, ever, ever shouted for the "Wolves". You just don't hear it. We shout for the Wire.
I suspect it's the same with our friends at Wigan - I'd be amazed if anyone, ever, used the Warriors moniker on the terraces.

6 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I've not used The name Rhinos very much ,but I've noticed people who are not exactly steeped in RL using it when talking about Leeds . I wonder if wiganers say " Warriors " I.E " did you see the warriors other night ?" Same with Warrington fans 

With Wigan you’d think they’d need a certain amount of differentiation because of the football. However, when I used to work in Wigan, the rugby had a monopoly on the Wigan name, with the football always referred to as Latics. I believe the football fans were somewhat resistant to this in years gone by, but it since went on to become something of a badge of honour. 

On 01/05/2020 at 10:44, meast said:

Huddersfield were, and are, still known as "Fartown" especially by lots of fans over 35, some older fans even refer to both the senior football and rugby clubs as just "Town", however, the younger element know the club as Giants, and most people in and around the town know the club as The Giants so i guess the moniker has worked.

Incidentally, the club gave the fans the option of the new nickname and from memory it came down to Huddersfield Rams or Huddersfield Giants, rams because it's on the coat of arms, due to the area being owned by the Ramsden family for centuries, Giants because of the club's history making them a 'Giant' of the game, as there was already an American football team named Huddersfield Rams, ironically, at the time playing on Fartown's cricket pitch, it was the Giants that was adopted in 1996, although originally we were known as the "Fartown Giants"

I'd love to know how some teams' names came about, Leeds for example, why Rhinos? Wigan, didn't Whitehaven already use "Warriors"?

Barracudas anyone? ?

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 22:51, Womer said:

It was part of the deal Super League did with $ky

They insisted on traditional names being junked, Hull KR would have been called Robins rather than Rovers.

The two other leagues didn't have to, but to try and cash in some did, to no effect whatsoever

No they didn't, it was never a requirement by Sky.

They made suggestions as to how the game could change its image and adding the names like Wolves & Warriors was just one suggestion. It was never forced on clubs to adopt, hence why saints, after asking their fans on their opinion chose never to adopt another name.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

16 hours ago, Ainley Top said:

Barracudas anyone? ?

Mr Bailey was ahead of his time with that and credit to him for trying it, but it simply didn't work, it was the wrong time, the game and the people of Huddersfield weren't ready for it, the club and the team were in a downward spiral and soon to fall to their lowest ever ebb.

Fast forward 8 years, the same thing happened at Keighley, who, in respect were a club and a team on the up and the town and surrounding areas embraced it and it took off

Dewsbury Egyptians is my favourite. They should go back to that.

That Hull merger fiasco still leaves a sour taste, they should be forced to be called Thundersharks forever.

Saints are Saints, not sure why this is confusing. 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Archived