Sign in to follow this  
Scott Sinfield

Any reason St Helens and Hull Fc don't have any second name?

1 minute ago, Leeds Wire said:

I politely suggest you are very much in a tiny minority of Leeds fans if you have never used the moniker "Rhinos".

Yup I'm sure I am.

But the key thing is I don't think if we had never had it the club would have been any less successful on or off the pitch over the past 23 years.

2 minutes ago, M j M said:

Yup I'm sure I am.

But the key thing is I don't think if we had never had it the club would have been any less successful on or off the pitch over the past 23 years.

That's a really interesting point. Do you think crowds would have been as big? You've done pretty well.

25 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

That's a really interesting point. Do you think crowds would have been as big? You've done pretty well.

Well in 1994/95 the club averaged around 13k and whilst we had a couple of years after the first Super League title up at 16k we settled back down to around 14k-15k up to the ground redevelopment. Given the team we had I genuinely don't think that would have been much different especially given Leeds didn't do much else around the Rhino name other than introduce the mascot. The gameday experience has been improved, that's for sure, but it's nothing to do with the name.

Back to the OP, in the case of St Helens they were an established "brand" with an established nickname the Saints with the only addition a St Bernard mascot.

Hull FC Did have an short-lived rebranding as Hull Sharks IIRC.

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

On 05/05/2020 at 13:19, Tommygilf said:

Nah, since they refused entry to King Charles to start the civil war calling Hull Kingston would be a tad misleading. Plus KR have a ownership of the city east of the river they should not be forced to give up.

I defer to your local knowledge geography and history.  But you will never get to the top of the tree of the world of rugby league if you ignore absolutism !!

?

• Haha 1

On 04/05/2020 at 22:14, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

But is retained in Hull, I believe, where I think there is a cricket club of this name.  I look to Old Faithful, Futtocks, hullfan or some such to confirm or correct this.

On 04/05/2020 at 22:26, Gooleboy said:

I don't know if they are still around, but there used to be a few local Cricket Clubs called Zingari, there was definitely one in Hull called Hull Zingari, maybe one of our Hull posters will know if they are still going.

On 05/05/2020 at 10:37, Lowdesert said:

Yes, still going.  Been around a long time and play down Chants Ave I think.

Correct mate, just round the corner from us at Hull & East Riding Sports Club on Chants Ave North.

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

5 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Correct mate, just round the corner from us at Hull & East Riding Sports Club on Chants Ave North.

Thanks.  It occurs to me that there is a sort of irony in a club with a 'nomadic' name having a home venue!

32 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Thanks.  It occurs to me that there is a sort of irony in a club with a 'nomadic' name having a home venue!

Aye but I suppose it's such a great name that they didn't want to change it once they had a home of their own.

44 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Opposite side to the old Hull and ER ground?

3 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Aye but I suppose it's such a great name that they didn't want to change it once they had a home of their own.

There was a Zingari Amateur Football League in Liverpool that lasted over 100 years then merged with the Liverpool Combination League.

4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Opposite side to the old Hull and ER ground?

On the same site as the old Hull and ER RU ground. The opposite side is where Hull RU play. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ullman said:

Agreed

I've not used The name Rhinos very much ,but I've noticed people who are not exactly steeped in RL using it when talking about Leeds . I wonder if wiganers say " Warriors " I.E " did you see the warriors other night ?" Same with Warrington fans 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

20 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

There was a Zingari Amateur Football League in Liverpool that lasted over 100 years then merged with the Liverpool Combination League.

If that knowledge is off the top of your head and not googled, I'll be very impressed.

6 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I've not used The name Rhinos very much ,but I've noticed people who are not exactly steeped in RL using it when talking about Leeds . I wonder if wiganers say " Warriors " I.E " did you see the warriors other night ?" Same with Warrington fans 

See my earlier post. Nobody, ever, ever shouted for the "Wolves". You just don't hear it. We shout for the Wire.
I suspect it's the same with our friends at Wigan - I'd be amazed if anyone, ever, used the Warriors moniker on the terraces.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

With Wigan you’d think they’d need a certain amount of differentiation because of the football. However, when I used to work in Wigan, the rugby had a monopoly on the Wigan name, with the football always referred to as Latics. I believe the football fans were somewhat resistant to this in years gone by, but it since went on to become something of a badge of honour. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

With Wigan you’d think they’d need a certain amount of differentiation because of the football. However, when I used to work in Wigan, the rugby had a monopoly on the Wigan name, with the football always referred to as Latics. I believe the football fans were somewhat resistant to this in years gone by, but it since went on to become something of a badge of honour. 

Same in Oldham ...when locals talk about Oldham Athletic they always refer to "The Latics" rather than "Oldham". Maybe that's why the name "Rhinos" has become more popular in Leeds so as to distinguish them more from Leeds United. However, even if that is so, how was any such difference made known before the Rhinos name ? ie: Were Leeds RL ever referred to by locals as the "Loiners", or was it just "Leeds" for the RL team and "United" for the soccer club ?

41 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Same in Oldham ...when locals talk about Oldham Athletic they always refer to "The Latics" rather than "Oldham". Maybe that's why the name "Rhinos" has become more popular in Leeds so as to distinguish them more from Leeds United. However, even if that is so, how was any such difference made known before the Rhinos name ? ie: Were Leeds RL ever referred to by locals as the "Loiners", or was it just "Leeds" for the RL team and "United" for the soccer club ?

It was Leeds RL and Leeds United. Leeds alone generally, then as it does still now, refers to the football team.

On the back pages when Hetherington and Caddick came in the headlines were "Leeds RL Saved"

On 01/05/2020 at 10:44, meast said:

Huddersfield were, and are, still known as "Fartown" especially by lots of fans over 35, some older fans even refer to both the senior football and rugby clubs as just "Town", however, the younger element know the club as Giants, and most people in and around the town know the club as The Giants so i guess the moniker has worked.

Incidentally, the club gave the fans the option of the new nickname and from memory it came down to Huddersfield Rams or Huddersfield Giants, rams because it's on the coat of arms, due to the area being owned by the Ramsden family for centuries, Giants because of the club's history making them a 'Giant' of the game, as there was already an American football team named Huddersfield Rams, ironically, at the time playing on Fartown's cricket pitch, it was the Giants that was adopted in 1996, although originally we were known as the "Fartown Giants"

I'd love to know how some teams' names came about, Leeds for example, why Rhinos? Wigan, didn't Whitehaven already use "Warriors"?

Barracudas anyone? ?

Just as an aside ... when Oldham took on the nickname of "Bears" in 1996 (and not many in the town understand why that name was chosen), the person inside the bear mascot costume was local amateur player Michael "Braddy" Bradshaw.

His err... antics, certainly attracted the attention of several other clubs and was he eventually "transferred" to Leeds and became the original Ronnie the Rhino. From there he went to Bradford to become "Bull Boy" while he has also been on the sidelines for Castleford and Salford, as well as both Great Britain and England.

Braddy has also been poached by other sports, having donned outfits representing Newcastle and Sale at Rugby Union. the Yorkshire country cricket team and both Burnley and Wrexham soccer clubs.

9 hours ago, Ullman said:

If that knowledge is off the top of your head and not googled, I'll be very impressed.

It was Googled. I did look as I thought the word Zingari had a lot of links to Sport. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Just as an aside ... when Oldham took on the nickname of "Bears" in 1996 (and not many in the town understand why that name was chosen), the person inside the bear mascot costume was local amateur player Michael "Braddy" Bradshaw.

His err... antics, certainly attracted the attention of several other clubs and was he eventually "transferred" to Leeds and became the original Ronnie the Rhino. From there he went to Bradford to become "Bull Boy" while he has also been on the sidelines for Castleford and Salford, as well as both Great Britain and England.

Braddy has also been poached by other sports, having donned outfits representing Newcastle and Sale at Rugby Union. the Yorkshire country cricket team and both Burnley and Wrexham soccer clubs.

Talk about making a niche for yourself! Sounds like he has had more Clubs than Jack Nicklaus! Or for older posters, Geoff Clarkson.

1 minute ago, Gooleboy said:

Talk about making a niche for yourself! Sounds like he has had more Clubs than Jack Nicklaus! Or for older posters, Geoff Clarkson.

Probably not for family viewing on here but try typing in the words "Streaker" and "Burnley Mascot" in Google and see some of his antics.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

There were mostly called " Leeds Rugby "

• Thanks 1

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK