Government Confirms £16m Loans to save Rugby League

Bulldog Days

2 hours ago, Bulldog Days said:

How will this be filtered down to the Clubs, specifically how will Batley Bulldogs benefit from this initiative?

A case by case basis according to need.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I see that it is a loan to the RFL.  Wonder what the conditions re interest rate/repayment schedule is?

Also the clubs have to apply (presumably to the RFL) to access this - again wonder what the qualifications regarding applications are?  Presumably laid out to cover all clubs so that none are looked at more favourably than others.

The Guardian understands funding will be distributed based on projected revenue forecasts that were submitted to the RFL before the season began, rather than every club simply receiving the same amount’

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/may/01/rfl-chief-warns-rugby-league-clubs-16m-government-loan

31 minutes ago, silverback said:

The Guardian understands funding will be distributed based on projected revenue forecasts that were submitted to the RFL before the season began, rather than every club simply receiving the same amount’

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/may/01/rfl-chief-warns-rugby-league-clubs-16m-government-loan

Exactly similar to our financial trends of our country. All based upon "could be, "maybe" "should be" "our predictions are" What a system. How on earth can a club forecast its financial future revenues?.

Sheffield, toronto and possibly Leigh it is then.

Be lucky if dogs get a fiver once super league stakes a claim

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

44 minutes ago, 9' oller said:

nope not toronto,only uk based clubs in,bit daft when they spend so much time in rochdale..:kolobok_punish:

From main thred  >>>>    The £16m loan package is a deal to support English businesses in English communities.  It is quite right that it doesn't include Les Dracs, TO13 and the Wolfpack. (and I say that as a Scottish-born supporter of the Dragons!)  The merits of supporting those three businesses is a matter for the French and Canadian governments and/or local authorities (I don't know precisely how such matters are dealt with in those two countries) 

12 hours ago, silverback said:

From main thred  >>>>    The £16m loan package is a deal to support English businesses in English communities.  It is quite right that it doesn't include Les Dracs, TO13 and the Wolfpack. (and I say that as a Scottish-born supporter of the Dragons!)  The merits of supporting those three businesses is a matter for the French and Canadian governments and/or local authorities (I don't know precisely how such matters are dealt with in those two countries) 

This also excludes the two Welsh clubs as sports and community funding is one of the things that were devolved to the Welsh Assembly.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

13 hours ago, 9' oller said:

What do you believe would be the basis of any claim from Batley, for example? As I understand it the money isn't intended to be a handout but to support specific shortfalls after ALL other avenues have been explored properly. There are numerous grants and loans available to smaller businesses, which most RL clubs are, and I assume that most clubs would already be trying to tap into these. Add on "furlough" support and there may not be such large shortfalls in smaller clubs.

We have to border Dewsbury for starters

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

What do you believe would be the basis of any claim from Batley, for example? As I understand it the money isn't intended to be a handout but to support specific shortfalls after ALL other avenues have been explored properly. There are numerous grants and loans available to smaller businesses, which most RL clubs are, and I assume that most clubs would already be trying to tap into these. Add on "furlough" support and there may not be such large shortfalls in smaller clubs.

True Bsj FEV CEO announced 

"During the past few weeks our Club focus has been on two successful applications, one for the small business grant and the other application to HMRC for the job retention scheme. These positive applications will ensure the players and staff at Featherstone Rovers will receive their usual salaries, so when we do return our club is prepared and ready to go to continue its great work across the local community. 

1 hour ago, POR said:

True Bsj FEV CEO announced 

"During the past few weeks our Club focus has been on two successful applications, one for the small business grant and the other application to HMRC for the job retention scheme. These positive applications will ensure the players and staff at Featherstone Rovers will receive their usual salaries, so when we do return our club is prepared and ready to go to continue its great work across the local community. 

Exactly. Go about these things in the correct way, reading the rules and following the requirements, and there is money available. Follow the line that the Hull FC chairman did of moaning to the press about getting no help and you will get nowhere. Hang around waiting for some sort of largesse from the RFL and be equally disappointed.

I have no doubt that Batley RLFC are already well down the line with their own applications for funding and hope that they are successful in obtaining it.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Exactly. Go about these things in the correct way, reading the rules and following the requirements, and there is money available. Follow the line that the Hull FC chairman did of moaning to the press about getting no help and you will get nowhere. Hang around waiting for some sort of largesse from the RFL and be equally disappointed.

I have no doubt that Batley RLFC are already well down the line with their own applications for funding and hope that they are successful in obtaining it.

I would hope so BSJ. Kevin runs a tight ship, and along with additional revenue from the weekly half time draw which has exceeded £5K to date, should be in a reasonable state when the season re commences.

3 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

I thought the amateur game was to be included in some way or another.Obviously not according to what I've read so far.

The RFL have worked on securing other funding for community clubs. See this for more details about things

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/ralph-rimmer-rugby-league-loan-4095491

Rimmer - "It won’t got to community clubs, their needs have been satisfied through some other interventions we’ve been working on through Sport England. Community is separate to this because it is being supported in another manner."

20 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The RFL have worked on securing other funding for community clubs. See this for more details about things

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/ralph-rimmer-rugby-league-loan-4095491

Rimmer - "It won’t got to community clubs, their needs have been satisfied through some other interventions we’ve been working on through Sport England. Community is separate to this because it is being supported in another manner."

That's made everything clear.Thanks very much for that

Looks like some sanity may well be returning with the reports that SL will merge back in with the RFL to make one ruling body again.  At the very least it would (hopefully) mean that there only needs to be one CEO so that this would only mean one salary payment and Elstone's £400k a year can be transferred to better use.

2 hours ago, fredm said:

Looks like some sanity may well be returning with the reports that SL will merge back in with the RFL to make one ruling body again.  At the very least it would (hopefully) mean that there only needs to be one CEO so that this would only mean one salary payment and Elstone's £400k a year can be transferred to better use.

I'd suggest that there are 16 million reasons why the SL chairmen have had a change of view and when Hudgell first started pontificating on the subject he did add that the returning SL clubs would need to have a bigger say in the running of the RFL.....

Just now, gittinsfan said:

Thanks for that.

After a lot of recent criticism the RFL seems to be upping it's game with it's response to this crisis.

You're welcome.

Yes, I think the job the whole RFL team have done has left quite a few having to eat a slice or two of humble pie.

Archived