Nigel Wood to retire from rugby league role (Merged threads)

I saw this story on Facebook from the IRL about Nigel Wood retiring. The actual link doesn’t work so can’t see anything further.

Fingers crossed its true, hopefully he leaves the Bulls next!

0C957383-7798-4C26-B74A-9542957586D7.png

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

15 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

I saw this story on Facebook from the IRL about Nigel Wood retiring. The actual link doesn’t work so can’t see anything further.

Fingers crossed its true, hopefully he leaves the Bulls next!

0C957383-7798-4C26-B74A-9542957586D7.png

How does the major shareholder "leave the Bulls"?

More likely he will be able to devote much more of his time there, probably becoming the new CEO. That would be nice.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

13 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I wonder who will replace him. Not Greenberg I hope!!!

Don't think they will be swapping jobs anyway, nice pension he's lined up for himself whatever ?

18 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I wonder who will replace him. Not Greenberg I hope!!!

The Greenberg bashers have been quickly proven they're idiots.

new rise.jpg

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Nines WC and the GB tour...

The nines that the NRL hosted, did all the legwork for and implemented the rules and criteria. I'd love to know what the RLIF/IRL actually did regards that. The GB tour, well lets not go there ?

1 minute ago, Damien said:

The nines that the NRL hosted, did all the legwork for and implemented the rules and criteria. I'd love to know what the RLIF/IRL actually did regards that. The GB tour, well lets not go there ?

I mean its not a very long list I must admit

10 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The growth of the women’s game at International level and wheelchair rugby league. 

How has Wood grown either of those things? There is literally no mention of wheelchair Rugby League in the strategic plan and barely any mention of the women's game bar a mention of a 8 team women's world cup. At a real level the strides and growth made in the women's game have been by the NRL in Australia and New Zealand and domestically in the UK.

17 minutes ago, Damien said:

IRL boss has always been a job where your hands will be tied to an extend, by the NRL and RFL.  The fact that he (or whoever) managed to get the NRL that interested in International RL where they would go to all that effort, that alone for me is a massive success!

I am neither a fan, nor a hater of Nigel Wood.  But I find 90% of his online critics, see a picture of him and start losing their sh*t and ranting about how bad/corrupt he is.  Being so overweight makes him an easy target for abuse, but a lot of people criticise without even knowing any of the most basic facts about him.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

How has Wood grown either of those things? There is literally no mention of wheelchair Rugby League in the strategic plan and barely any mention of the women's game bar a mention of a 8 team women's world cup. At a real level the strides and growth made in the women's game have been by the NRL in Australia and New Zealand and domestically in the UK.

Are we not supposed to be having three World Cups next year? 

13 minutes ago, langpark said:

IRL boss has always been a job where your hands will be tied to an extend, by the NRL and RFL.  The fact that he (or whoever) managed to get the NRL that interested in International RL where they would go to all that effort, that alone for me is a massive success!

I am neither a fan, nor a hater of Nigel Wood.  But I find 90% of his online critics, see a picture of him and start losing their sh*t and ranting about how bad/corrupt he is.  Being so overweight makes him an easy target for abuse, but a lot of people criticise without even knowing any of the most basic facts about him.

He has managed to draw a large wage from a Sport that struggles for money including at least one large Golden Handshake.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

8 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Are we not supposed to be having three World Cups next year? 

So is that's it? Three World Cups for next year, organised by a host country. You specifically highlighted 2 areas Oliver of where he has grown the game, can you not say how he has done this?

• John Drake changed the title to Nigel Wood to retire from rugby league role (Merged threads)
12 minutes ago, Damien said:

So is that's it? Three World Cups for next year, organised by a host country. You specifically highlighted 2 areas Oliver of where he has grown the game, can you not say how he has done this?

Who’s Oliver?

The game is played in more countries, in one format or another, now than it was at the start of his rein. How is that not a success? We’ve got two new participants in the men’s competition next year.

The 2021 RLWC draw was at Buckingham Palace, for God’s sake. The 21WC campaign is transparent and working well, so far.

He oversaw the successful 2013 WC, which led to this job in 2014. 

We’ve seen club sides from some of these International countries taking part at club level in the Challenge Cup. 

But hey, lets go the default Rugby League fans position of abusing anything and anyone? 

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Who’s Oliver?

The game is played in more countries, in one format or another, now than it was at the start of his rein. How is that not a success? We’ve got two new participants in the men’s competition next year.

The 2021 RLWC draw was at Buckingham Palace, for God’s sake. The 21WC campaign is transparent and working well, so far.

We’ve seen club sides from some of these International countries taking part at club level in the Challenge Cup. 

But hey, lets go the default Rugby League fans position of abusing anything and anyone? 

As RLIF chairman he was responsible for none of those in bold. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Who’s Oliver?

Oh strawman argument time. You obviously cant backup what you claimed about women's and wheelchair rugby and have tried to introduce a whole different set of metrics that have no proof or are nothing to do with Wood or the IRL. International sides in the Challenge Cup, really? You even talk about the 2013 World Cup which is before he even started at the IRL. 

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Who’s Oliver?

Everyone has their own opinion.

I do not rate Mr Wood at all, and for the money he has received from this Sport, I see little if any results for that money.

I could quote plenty of facts and bring up the long thread from this forum just last year but I can’t be arsed.

I hope he retires with the millions he has got from our game never to be heard of again.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived