What historical/legendary RL moments did you watch live?

I’ve seen Challenge Cup Finals in every country it’s been played in. Which sounds impressive till you realise the answer is three. 

Saw Sean Long win all three Lance Todd’s, the Lance Todd shared for just the second time, saw Marc Sneyd and Paul Wellens win it back-to-back and a Frenchman (Gigot) win it. 

Leighs first competitive win over Wigan since 1984. In super league and the big 50 ! As what is typical of Leigh, still get relegated even though not finishing bottom ?

Wigan being Manly in 86 was memorable too. Couldn't move in the ground that night !

not legendary but my first trip to wembley with my dad and uncle  watching FEV beat barrow in 67 sitting next to royal box   after  minutes of fans singing queenie queenie give us a wave she turned and waved to the crowd  

December the 18th 1979, the last ever BBC2 Floodlit Trophy final. Hull v Hull KR and the crowd packed in so tight at The Boulevard you couldn't move in Threepenny. Straight in Silver Cod afterwards for several celebratory ales.

Fantastic night.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

9 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I was at Odsal to see Peter Fox's 'Dad's Army' team upset the Aussies.

Also the following week at Headingley when the Aussies got their revenge

1. Me too, though I don/t think Harvey Weinstein was there.

https://www.rugbyleaguejournal.com/1978-odsal-test-1584-p.asp

2, Winning as underdogs at Hull KR in the last game of the 91-92 season and staving off relegation ... three weeks after Wigan put 70 points past us at Burnden Park.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

GB beating Australia in Melbourne.

Widnes beating Canberra.

Widnes beating Australia (last club side to beat them)

Offiahs 10 tries against Leeds.

Wigan beating Manly.

Widnes beating Wigan to win the league.

Wigan beating Widnes to just about clinch the league.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

I was present for many of the above, but one of my abiding memories is the 1988 Premiership  Final at Old Trafford, Widnes v Saints.  Kurt Sorrensen charging the Saints line, with only  Neil Holding between him and a try.  If there'd have been a hole Holding would have hidden in it!   Sorrensen was awesome on the charge.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Ellery Hanley against Halifax 88, hard to catch even on a 45% angle. I still get that sinking feeling, seeing Joe Lydon in acres of space, then the Hanley finish.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

Many of those listed I have attended and plenty more too, but I will just add NZ beating Australia at the 2008 RLWC final in Brisbane, a game Australia went into as red hot favourites but lost 20-34 in front of 51,000. Every English supporter in the stadium, and there were several thousand of us, was 100% behind the Kiwis that night.

Archived