Centre- back row

Not sure if this is the right place to ask these questions but I’m gonna give it a go anyway. Last few years I’ve been playing league and union but in league I’ve spent last couple of years playing left centre or in the back row. This is/was my first year playing open age. Before the break I played in a 2nd’s game and then two games for the 1st. 2nd team game went really well and before the whole coronavirus thing we had a few injuries in the backs so I got picked to play centre in the first team and we lost. I wouldn’t say I played badly but I felt like the other lad had me for speed. Early on he ran straight at me and it felt like I won the tackles but their full back stood me up a bit on the outside, once I managed to get back and tackle him and the second time our full back saved me. Second game I came off the bench in the second row and felt more comfortable. I just tried work hard and run some decent lines but I made a few half breaks and a lot of tackles and I think I played 50 odd minutes in the end.

I was probably hoping to play centre purely from a physical point of view, I’m around 5’9 and 15 stone ish which is obviously on the small side for a second row. Kinda in a tough place now because I’m probably short of pace for a centre but I felt more confident in the second row. I think my best qualities as a player is probably my work ethic, line running and my footwork, I’m wriggly and have a decent step so I can make ground that way. My hands are decent if I get early ball and I’m left footed so can kick down the left edge. A lot of players in the league and from our team last year have been signed on by championship clubs and one day I’d love to do that and play for one of those clubs. Was just wondering if playing second row or even loose forward long term would be an option given the size of me.

Haven’t mentioned it to the coach yet cos I’ll play either and do my best wherever but thought I’d pose the question here so thanks!

Good luck to you in your progress as a player. League is a tough sport. 

Your size makes you less of a physical specimen than most back towers but look at John Bateman for an example of an outstanding player who plays far above his size and weight and would get in any side in the world. Like you he is able to cover Centre whilst not being as natural a fit there.

If you want to get to a higher league then it may well be that a bench utility playing primarily second row but able to cover injuries in the backs is your best route to progress through the ranks.

Olly, personally I wouldn’t get too hung up about the positional aspect. Even at the top level, a number of players will be interchangeable between centre and second row - just look at Liam Sutcliffe or Jimmy Keinhorst for example. The latter is perhaps a reasonable comparison to you? 

I would say second row is a better option than loose forward but wouldn’t rule that out either.  Recently many clubs have been playing props at loose forward as an extra middle but that appears to be changing at elite level as shown by the likes of Radley, Murray and Smithies. If you’ve got a good work ethic and tackling technique you’ll be fine in any of them.

One thing I would say though, definitely have a discussion with your coach about it though and talk through to see what he thinks. He may not have the answer but it’s always worth gauging other opinions, particularly those who work closely with you

• 3 weeks later...

Olly,

I dont comment often but your post had me thinking about my own playing days, albeit I spent 95% of my life at prop. On the rare occasion I did pay in the back row, I like yourself when playing centre, would get caught out a bit from a defensive position point of view, almost made to look a bit foolish from time to time. Whilst in reality I was stood a man out from prop in the defensive line, it always seemed to make a difference as the space for the opposition to attack was more open, I was never the quickest either which I dont suppose helped!

Firstly I wouldnt get hung up on your physical attributes, in fact turn them in to a positive which is exactly what I did, at 5'10 and 16st I was hardly the biggest, infact usually one of the smallest on the field and I managed to play at a decent level, inc 18 months in Aus and a little semi-pro along the way. I'd say your coach playing you 50 mins in the 2nd row says that he appreciates your work ethic and can see you make a valuable contribution to the team and by the sounds of things the only thing you are maybe struggling with is the positional differences between the 2 positions, albeit to the naked eye they seem very similar. 

Could be worth speaking to the coach, he will have noticed if you got caught out positionally in the games you have played, or even stick with 2nd row for a while and master that before asking to play at centre. Theres absolutely no harm in being a player who can cover a number of positions, in fact players like that are quite rare as its difficult to adjust, more importantly enjoy it!

I always flirted between centre and 2nd row when I came out of the army,  I was lucky to have a guy called Terry Dolly (ex-Rochdale) playing as the other centre, he taught me the finer points of the position, not sure who you play for but I'm sure your club will have someone to put you right, it may be just how your reading what is in front of you and a simple adjustment of your position while defending. It could also be a case of the players around you not doing their duties in defence.

I then played loose forward for many years before like most ending up at open side prop.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2020 at 13:22, Hullfan said:

Centre is the most difficult position on the field to defend, don't beat yourself up too much. 

On 20/05/2020 at 14:38, Marauder said:

I always flirted between centre and 2nd row when I came out of the army,  I was lucky to have a guy called Terry Dolly (ex-Rochdale) playing as the other centre, he taught me the finer points of the position, not sure who you play for but I'm sure your club will have someone to put you right, it may be just how your reading what is in front of you and a simple adjustment of your position while defending. It could also be a case of the players around you not doing their duties in defence.

I then played loose forward for many years before like most ending up at open side prop.

On 20/05/2020 at 14:33, fatboystu said:

Don't worry too much about it, I was a winger then moved to prop! When I played union I was a flanker or a inside centre?!?!?

Thanks for all your responses. I’ve done some work on my running fitness and my short sprints by myself in lockdown so I’m hoping that I’ll come back a bit fitter and faster. I prefer playing back row but if somewhere down the line a coach doesn’t think I’m big enough or whatever (to be fair I’m prepared for it at 176cm with my boots on), hopefully if I keep working on my speed I’ll be quick enough to slot into the centres as well if needed so I’ll keep working on it.

Thanks for taking to the time to reply (and you as well Rooboy).

Archived