RFL and SL reunite

Just now, scotchy1 said:

And both will still earn comfortably more than SL players.

They already do and their clubs will be carefully counting the pennies just like English RL ones.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

And both will still earn comfortably more than SL players.

They do now, but not everyone goes and we will still have those coming from the NRL who are surplus to requirement over there, or those who can't make the NRL from Aus NZ and the Pacific isles, do nothing changes then.

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

But scale matters. We are now seeing SL players who dont even earn 15k. What kind of imports will we get if we are paying 30% less? Would you stay if you had come over here for 200k and seen that drop to 100k when the MINIMUM NRL wage is about 60k?

You might not want to move to RU for 80k per year, but if you are seeing you RL wage drop from 70k to 50k it looks a lot more attractive. 

I'm obviously not talking about everyone but the best, and we lose the best we put on an inferior product. We put on an inferior product we lose fans. We lose fans we lose more value.

The game already seems resigned to getting a lower broadcast deal, we need to address the possibility we dont get one at all. Sky wants a product that attracts people there is a point we arent worth less, but not worth anything 

The 15k thing is appalling. Apprentices earn more than that. And its not like they can do another part time job because of the commitment the club requires.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

They do now, but not everyone goes and we will still have those coming from the NRL who are surplus to requirement over there, or those who can't make the NRL from Aus NZ and the Pacific isles, do nothing changes then.

Not surplus, we've got some top quality NRL talent here now. Sezer won the NRL GF last year, Hurrell is part of the Tonga squad that beat GB and Australia. Naqiama is captain of Fiji. There's more but its disingenuous to suggest the quality of import hasn't increased in recent years.

26 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Cool. You can enjoy your sense of accomplishment as you watch amateur players on park pitches that you contributed to seeing the game reach that state.

I have been doing that for many year's and will still do so when it resumes, see a  #Truefan.

41 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

As a sport we have never paid big amounts for our leaders or for necessary skills. The  wonder why we have such bad marketing, PR, image, sponsorship etc.

People who do that well cost money. 

IMO, the money is not an issue, provided the production of whatever the contract requires, is good.

It wouldnt surprise me if Elstones time is limited.

32 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Cool. You can enjoy your sense of accomplishment as you watch amateur players on park pitches that you contributed to seeing the game reach that state.

The honest quality of amateur players is just as entertaining as the big stage at times.  

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Not surplus, we've got some top quality NRL talent here now. Sezer won the NRL GF last year, Hurrell is part of the Tonga squad that beat GB and Australia. Naqiama is captain of Fiji. There's more but its disingenuous to suggest the quality of import hasn't increased in recent years.

I think the last count of 'imports' was around 90 in number, the vast majority of those fall into the catagories I mentioned.

23 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The 15k thing is appalling. Apprentices earn more than that. And its not like they can do another part time job because of the commitment the club requires.

Amazing thing is that not all young players think that is an issue though Tom. 

But thinking about it, we have heard of new NRL players coming through (Radley, Haas, Xerri,  etc) so they are in the box seat for starting on decent brass.  I cant think when we've heard of that here.

8 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

The honest quality of amateur players is just as entertaining as the big stage at times.  

Yes, if they can't afford to play then they shouldn't play.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think the last count of 'imports' was around 90 in number, the vast majority of those fall into the catagories I mentioned.

Not everyone is going to be a world beater but the quality has certainly increased. Arguing otherwise is just being obtuse.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

A once in a lifetime occurrence does not mean the split was wrong or a mistake. I have seen more progress in the last year with regards Super League than I have seen for a long time.

Indeed.  I think someone posted on another thread that this was looking like our best ever year.

5 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Amazing thing is that not all young players think that is an issue though Tom. 

But thinking about it, we have heard of new NRL players coming through (Radley, Haas, Xerri,  etc) so they are in the box seat for starting on decent brass.  I cant think when we've heard of that here.

There's been a clamour on Social media certainly from young and senior players saying this is unacceptable. Especially considering the actual chances of returns.

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

Indeed.  I think someone posted on another thread that this was looking like our best ever year.

It just seems like a kneejerk reaction if we go back to what was blatantly failing and had been doing so ever since Richard Lewis left.

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

A once in a lifetime occurrence does not mean the split was wrong or a mistake. I have seen more progress in the last year with regards Super League than I have seen for a long time.

100%.

SL has looked for the first time in a long time like a serious modern sport in presentation, outlook and output. It makes sense to have SL operate independently and the RFL have jurisdiction over everything else, just from a workload perspective.

I fear its a kneejerk retreat by the same people who made the kneejerk split in the first place.

1 hour ago, Bostik Bailey said:

Yeh the game doesn’t need the likes of McManus and co with there shiney new stadiums, financial management and vision to take the game forward. It needs more places like Wheldon Road and Bell Vue, and people like double glazing Gary. That way it can ensure mediocrity on and off the field, so Yorkshire clubs can stay in 19th century facilities whilst charging 21st century prices.

Someone from St Helens should know better than anyone that garys club has been run far better than mediocre on the field. Even in a time when everyone enjoys garys clubs struggles, theyv won 2 of the last 5 grandfinals...Thank god for St Helens they wernt at last years.

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes, if they can't afford to play then they shouldn't play.

You are the Revd. Frank Marshall, and I claim my five guineas!

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

FFS, and I bet your dad can fight my dad to, and Tommy you liked the comment, jeez.

Well its true? Its a dangerous delusion to start thinking the amateur game is as entertaining as the top division and would bring in as much revenue.

55 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Brilliant, we can swap our marquee imports for players who cant make the NRL. 

Then we can wonder why no-one is watching. 

Marquee imports, come on, surely as a SL is everything man you can agree that a big percentage of Aussies who come here come for an end of career last hurrah, or are not good enough to earn a regular starting spot in an NRL side. This is one of the main reasons we never beat the Australians when the chips are down.

Archived