Who is this

I think the caption is maybe wrong. 

Valentine also captained the Other Nationalities who played in France in '52 and' 53. They wore dark shirts. 

Edit: the design of the grandstand looks like the Stade Velodrome. If so, then 1952 vs ON. 

19 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

I think the caption is maybe wrong. 

Valentine also captained the Other Nationalities who played in France in '52 and' 53. They wore dark shirts. 

Edit: the design of the grandstand looks like the Stade Velodrome. If so, then 1952 vs ON. 

That's what I thought also, I think the captain is Tom McKinney.

Would this seem correct?

Anyone know the referees name?

29 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

It appears to be Dave Valentine but the shirt number and even the shirt itself confuse matters. 

Back then the forwards shirt numbers didn't correspond with the modern day. 

Did GB play in dark jerseys? 

I checked the 1953 CC FInal programme and the forwards were numbered as today's are.

When you look at Valentine with the trophy, his hair looks different to the man in the OP's post. I suspect rlno1's post suggesting Tom McKinney might be right.

1954RLWC.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, rlno1 said:

Would this seem correct?

McKinney played in the 1952 game but according to Roger Grimes in his well-researched book Still Crowing the captain that day was Valentine. That said, McKinney was a hooker, so #9 fits. Maybe it is the Salford man.

48 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Out of interest, rino1, from which publication does the picture of Pipette and AN Other come?

The title's at the top of the scanned page, so I assume it is this: https://livre.fnac.com/a5251686/Bernard-Pratviel-Immortel-pipette 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

34 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

The photo is not from the WC.

But what a legend that Aubert.  Took his nickname for his smoking habits even on the field and once famously took an up and under whilst playing against Wigan in a snowstorm one handed whilst not dropping his Gaulloise.....

2 hours ago, del capo said:

But what a legend that Aubert.  Took his nickname for his smoking habits even on the field and once famously took an up and under whilst playing against Wigan in a snowstorm one handed whilst not dropping his Gaulloise.....

Also, he switched codes after shinning down a rope of sheets from his bedroom, because his dad was a RU fan who had forbidden him from talking to those horrid, tax-paying League types and locked him up.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, rlno1 said:

Would this seem correct?

Tom also captained combined nationalities against france in 54

• 5 months later...

Archived