Sign in to follow this  
Old Frightful

Forty years ago today...

"TISWAS"

"Today is Saturday, watch and smile!" 

image.jpeg.a1ff1ba5ac3c6a1ac9a677246239e487.jpeg

Hmmmm...as regards Sally James, I'm thinking other words that could go with that...

• Haha 1

"Son, can you play me a memory, I'm not really sure how it goes,

but it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete, when I wore a younger man's clothes"

1 minute ago, Old Frightful said:

"TISWAS"

"Today is Saturday, watch and smile!" 

image.jpeg.a1ff1ba5ac3c6a1ac9a677246239e487.jpeg

Hmmmm...as regards Sally James, I'm thinking other words that could go with that...

Lot of pictures of Sally wearing either a school uniform or knee length boots , not forgetting one like this that is quite low cut ?

4 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

It must have been a great occasion for the city of Hull to have both teams reach the CC final.

I didn't know much about the rivalry, but according to the RL project website it's 47 wins each, with 2 draws. Plus the honours are similar too - just a few more CC wins for Hull FC.

It looks like a fairly even rivalry.

It was huge at the time. We had camera crews from all the main networks in the city in the build up to the game. Even BBC Newsnight did a worthy piece on the Trans River Hull rivalry. Of course, the Challenge Cup Final was a much bigger deal back then and had a much higher national profile. Shame it was such a dull game.

What a lot of people forget is that Hull were a newly promoted team that season. Just getting to the final was a major achievement (not that it felt it when the final hooter went). Hull also finished third in the league and won the BBC2 Floodlit Trophy. No promoted team has ever come close to matching those achievements (that said it was much easier to make the transition in those days in an entirely semi professional sport). Rovers were already established as one of the top sides in the game and the composure that came with that saw them home for me. 

• Like 1

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

number 1  Dexys Midnight Runners"Geno"  and in 1926 general strike started and 1979 she became prime minister

With the fear of upsetting one half of the city - but pleasing the other .... could the title of this thread not be used as lyrics to a song with similar opening words ?      Cue "Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" .....

It was forty years ago today

That Rovers taught Hull how to play

They'd been going to Wembley for a while

But they'd never returned with a smile

So may I introduce to you

The club you've known for all these years

Hull Kingston Rovers Rugby League Football Club.

We're Hull Kingston Rovers Rugby League Club

We will always remember this day

We're Hull Kingston Rovers Rugby League Club

We won the cup at Wem-ber-ley

Hull Kingston Rovers,

Hull Kingston Rovers,

Hull Kingston Rovers Rugby League Club.

It was wonderful to be there

It was certainly a thrill

You were such a lovely audience

We wanted to take the cup with us

And we took it home with us.