NCL question

Over the last few years I took an interest more and more in the NCL Leagues.  This stemmed from watching NCL teams play in the Challenge Cup, then I would follow results etc. and am now have gotten to the point where I could just about name every team in every division.

One thing I was curious about though, I have worked out where most of them are on the map, but I was curious, is there any team playing that comes from outside of Yorkshire, Lancashire or Cumbria? 

If not, which team(s) are the 'final outpost' teams then?

I recently read about Sherwood Wolf Hunt joining one of the Yorkshire Leagues.  It would be great if they could some day work their way up to NCL.

Hemel played in the NCL for some years before joining the pro system (playing in the reserve grade). I think there was a Nottingham team for a while. I think both of those were late 80s/early 90s. London Skolars were in there about 97-01. 

1 hour ago, Nomad XIII said:

Hemel played in the NCL for some years before joining the pro system (playing in the reserve grade). I think there was a Nottingham team for a while. I think both of those were late 80s/early 90s. London Skolars were in there about 97-01. 

Northampton

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/05/2020 at 01:51, Saint 1 said:

Coventry Bears were in NCL before they entered League 1. Bristol Sonics and Nottingham Outlaws amongst others were also in the Rugby League Conference which was comparable.

Wolfhunt have entered YML 5 so are some distance away from NCL currently but I expect they'll get promoted pretty quickly for the first couple of years. 

Nottingham Outlaws applied for NCL in recent years but the league wanted to see further progress with junior development first, and we have since changed our mind on what is most appropriate for us.

The difficulty with applying for teams outside the heartland is on meeting some of the non-playing factors. As an example, if you recruit heavily from the student game but don't have your juniors in an organised league, you may struggle to evidence hitting some of the criteria. 

Interesting.  Yes Wolfhunt seem to be a serious, ambitious club, but will obviously need time.  I see they only have the open-age team at the moment as well. 

Out of interest, can you tell me more about the criteria?  I had a look on the NCL website, could not find any information there.

On 28/05/2020 at 23:51, Saint 1 said:

Coventry Bears were in NCL before they entered League 1. Bristol Sonics and Nottingham Outlaws amongst others were also in the Rugby League Conference which was comparable.

Wolfhunt have entered YML 5 so are some distance away from NCL currently but I expect they'll get promoted pretty quickly for the first couple of years. 

Nottingham Outlaws applied for NCL in recent years but the league wanted to see further progress with junior development first, and we have since changed our mind on what is most appropriate for us.

The difficulty with applying for teams outside the heartland is on meeting some of the non-playing factors. As an example, if you recruit heavily from the student game but don't have your juniors in an organised league, you may struggle to evidence hitting some of the criteria. 

Some very good sides entered into the YML 5 division for this season, not sure if they'll keep their full winter squads because most have players who have been playing elsewhere in the summer, I know Moorends had recruited well with many of their local players committing who have either been playing elsewhere or laid idel, the lads who have been playing union have also brought a handful of excellent young union lads with them.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

• 3 months later...
On 31/05/2020 at 00:21, Saint 1 said:

It's just their website hasn't been updated. They ran an u15s team in a Yorkshire League in 2018  watch price guide but i believe didn't have the numbers for it last year. However, they have been present at the last few junior festivals vintage seiko at Outlaws (where I coach).

yeah your point is right. They do run some juniors,  though I'm not sure how many. 

On 30/05/2020 at 19:46, langpark said:

Interesting.  Yes Wolfhunt seem to be a serious, ambitious club, but will obviously need time.  I see they only have the open-age team at the moment as well. 

Out of interest, can you tell me more about the criteria?  I had a look on the NCL website, could not find any information there.

Go to rugbyleague.com then search the menu for Leagues and Competitions.

After that pick out National Conference League, competition rules appendix 1

That should give you a fairly good starting point.

Apologies for not being able to link it direct for you.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 30/11/2020 at 10:06, kev p said:

i have all time tables of all teams to have played in the NCL if interested. one for each division & one with all teams & all divisions & years they played in each division, let me know

Sorry mate, only just saw this now. Yes I would be keen to see that if it's not too much trouble. 

On 03/05/2020 at 11:05, langpark said:

Over the last few years I took an interest more and more in the NCL Leagues.  This stemmed from watching NCL teams play in the Challenge Cup, then I would follow results etc. and am now have gotten to the point where I could just about name every team in every division.

One thing I was curious about though, I have worked out where most of them are on the map, but I was curious, is there any team playing that comes from outside of Yorkshire, Lancashire or Cumbria? 

If not, which team(s) are the 'final outpost' teams then?

I recently read about Sherwood Wolf Hunt joining one of the Yorkshire Leagues.  It would be great if they could some day work their way up to NCL.

Entire Promotion / Relegation / New Entrant / Departures history up to 2018.

3 or 4 facts are wrong, which is not bad for Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_National_Conference_League

"There are only 5 functions of Internet FORUMS. . . . . . . . Brag . . Patronise . . Wind-up . . Fawn . . Threaten. . . .  . . . Which one did you perform? "

Archived